Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

This thread died almost a year ago, why has it been resurrected?

Because BLSBOY wants more questions.

I like the idea. How about another round?

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Default Ok. I'll bite.

What is the NFPA standard for automotive fire apparatus?

What is the angle of departure?

How many feet of 1.5" or greater main attack line must an engine carry?

How many feet of 2.5" or greater main supply line must an engine carry? How much must it be able to carry?

What is the minimum speed an engine must be able to maintain?

How much water must an engine be able to carry?

What are the common sizes for pumps?

How big of a pump does an engine need to have?

What is a booster pump?

Why is the hosebed required to have a baffle in the middle?

How many airpacks does the engine need to carry and how many spare bottles?

***All of these questions pertain to a 'Class A' engine.***
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

1 not sure, but I can look it up if needed
    2 never needed to know this, but I looked it up and it's interesting
    3 enough to strech a line to put the fire out
    4 enough to reach from the hydrant to the pumper
    5 I don't know, depending on the driver, our minimum speed is about 70 in a shallow declining road
    6 enough to supply hoses until a water source is established
    7 medium, large, extra large, and big enough to collapse a 36 inch water main when pumping to the max
    8 large enough to pump enough water to put out the fire
    9 like a booster club for the football team, the booster pump is reponsible for raising the funds to get a new pumper
    10 because whenever there is a bed, there needs to be a seperation between male and females
    11 enough for everyone on the engine, and 1 spare for each pack.

and if anyone takes these responses seriously, they should probably get their head examined.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

***Edited to remove previous questionable content.***

Thanks, Richard.
    Last edited by Firefighter1219; 12-15-2004 at 04:45 PM.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Firefighter1219 : those are the most ridiculous and pointless questions I have ever seen. NO wonder Dr. Parasite gave you such stupid answers. Ask some real firefighting questions.

"what is the minimum speed an engine must be able to maintain?"
    What kinda question is that, give me a break pal!!!!!!!!

Try something based on flashover recognition, forcible entry techniques (sp), construction. You know; USEFUL stuff!

Originally posted by firefiftyfive
    Firefighter1219 : those are the most ridiculous and pointless questions I have ever seen. NO wonder Dr. Parasite gave you such stupid answers. Ask some real firefighting questions.

"what is the minimum speed an engine must be able to maintain?"
    What kinda question is that, give me a break pal!!!!!!!!

Try something based on flashover recognition, forcible entry techniques (sp), construction. You know; USEFUL stuff!
    Last I checked, there was more to the fire service than just fighting fires. If your engine isn't compliant, how will you fight fire? How will you know if it isn't compliant if you don't know the standards by which compliance is determined? Firefighters, today more than ever, must be well-rounded and knowledgeable on many different topics. EVERY piece of information that we can learn about our trade is valuable...maybe not exciting, but valuable all the same.

~Courtney
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Originally posted by Co11FireGal If your engine isn't compliant, how will you fight fire? How will you know if it isn't compliant if you don't know the standards by which compliance is determined? Firefighters, today more than ever, must be well-rounded and knowledgeable on many different topics. EVERY piece of information that we can learn about our trade is valuable...maybe not exciting, but valuable all the same.
    a person can fight a fire with a garden hose, should that be all he/she has at his /her disposal. but that's another topic.

the reason I posted my response was because the questions are stupid for the audience. cadets don't need to know stuff like that. they shouldn't waste their time learning that type of information. heck, I don't know many firefighters that know those answers. line officers, chief officers, probably, or at least they should have an idea of what they need when specing out a new piece of apparatus.

you want some good questions?

1) what is the difference between static and dynamic rope? which is used for rescue, and why?

2) how long should you wait after cutting the battery on a car until you can assume an air bag won't deploy at a MVC?

3) List all the equipment should you have with you if you are to be assigned to a fast team? for what reason are you listing each item?

4) what tools do you need to breech a masonary/cinderblock wall? how about a sheetrock wall? what are the basic steps you use to breech the wall?

5) how many windows should you open in order to effectively positive pressure a building?

6) what should you always assume about fire walls?

7) what tools should you (or your crew) be taking with you when you are conducting a search without a hoseline?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Those questions I aksed have useful information in them. The reason I aksed them is because I had to know that stuff for my tests in the academy. I also had the stuff fresh on my mind and it didn't take time to look anything up. If the JRs/Explorers feel the questions don't warrant answering, then they don't have to answer them. But there is no need to come back with a smart-*** reply.

Maybe one of the people on here is in a department that isn't NFPA compliant. Perhaps they could pass on this information to their officers to help get that much closer to being compliant. Anyway, if you couldn't already tell, my reply to his reply was very sarcastic, and hopefully no ones feelings got hurt.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Now for some hopefully 'better' questions.

If you have a reverse lay going to a fire, and you are holding a hose at the fire, which coupling do you have on your hand?

When hooking into a fire department connection with only one line, which side do you hook in to?

You are working off of a ladder with a pike pole on the right side, which side do you lock in on?

Which end of a haligan is the adze end?

Which side of the window is the windward side?

If possible backsdraft conditions are found to exist, what should be done to correct the problem?

If the main valve on your airpack malfunctions and you can't get air, what can you do while you and your partner are leaving the IDLH area?

While conducting an interior search, what does an X on the door mean?

You're on a RIT team and are activated to rescue an interior team. You find a chalked / on a door. What does it mean?

What should you do to a hydrant before you hook into it for water supply?
    Last edited by Firefighter1219; 12-02-2004 at 10:33 AM.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

If possible backsdraft conditions are found to exist, what should be done to correct the problem?
    Take the tape out of the VCR----step away and watch Ladder 49.

Ok here are some of mine.
    What are the 4 groups of hydrocarbons?

What makes up the "BTX" hydrocarbon group?

Describe salt and non-salt compounds.

Whats the difference between covealent and ionic bonding?

Explain the "family effect".

Explain the octet/duet rule.

Cheers.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

I really hope your not serious STM!!!!!

Besides the first two questions, that should be high school chemistry.

The goal here was to make explorers that didnt know it, read a book or do some research to find the answer!
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-02-2004 at 05:37 PM.

Originally posted by stm4710
    Besides the first two questions, that should be high school chemistry.

The goal here was to make explorers that didnt know it, read a book or do some research to find the answer!

Did I miss your "promotion" party or something? I thought the crusties are suppose to be the teachers.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

--You are working off of a ladder with a pike pole on the right side, which side do you lock in on?
    The left side
    --Which side of the window is the windward side?
    Facing out

--If possible backsdraft conditions are found to exist, what should be done to correct the problem?
    Use the Ladder Co. to vent the roof, thus releasing the toxic gasses and making it safe for entry

--While conducting an interior search, what does an X on the door mean?
    Room clear-we saw many of these during the Hurricane season, as the SAR teams had to clear the destroyed bulidings.......Unfortunatly, there were many of them in my `hood

--You're on a RIT team and are activated to rescue an interior team. You find a chalked / on a door. What does it mean?
    Team inside?

--What should you do to a hydrant before you hook into it for water supply?
    Make sure it is 10-8
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

these are what we use in my dept, so they may differ from others. Also i have no clue if we are a "Class A" egine

What is the NFPA standard for automotive fire apparatus? No idea

What is the angle of departure? What do you mean by "departure?"

How many feet of 1.5" or greater main attack line must an engine carry? 200 preconnected 250 in back

How many feet of 2.5" or greater main supply line must an engine carry? How much must it be able to carry? 200 in bed

What is the minimum speed an engine must be able to maintain? approx. 3000 RPM

How much water must an engine be able to carry? Depending on engine size around 1000-2000 Gallons

What are the common sizes for pumps? 3000 gpm

How big of a pump does an engine need to have? atleast 3000 gpm

What is a booster pump? the pump that works the booster line or a 1' line the is in read housing, most dept don;t use this anymore due to inadiquency in water discharge

Why is the hosebed required to have a baffle in the middle? no idea

How many airpacks does the engine need to carry and how many spare bottles? One for each seat that can have one, and atleast 1 extra for ezach pack. On oru engine we have 6 packs and 5 spares, it carries on 3-4 men per shift though

Like I said, I don;t know everything, this is the best of my knowlege, and is for my dept, may not be urs, but is mine

What are the 4 groups of hydrocarbons?

What makes up the "BTX" hydrocarbon group?

Describe salt and non-salt compounds.

Whats the difference between covealent and ionic bonding?

Explain the "family effect".

Explain the octet/duet rule.
    1: Alkane Alkene Alkyne Aromatic
    2: Benzene Tolene Xylene
    3: Salt compounds are a metal and a non metal. IE: NaCl (table salt). A non salt compound would be H20 (two non metals).
    4: Covealent bonding is when atoms bond and share electrons.
    5: Family effect is how similiar things react alike.
    6: Octet/duet rule is how you essentially need 8 people to find the perfect two for the duet to be sung on stage.

1.Good job( I know the book your useing you bugga). Alkanes are also known as saturated hydrocarbons. Saturated meaning they have the maximum amount hydrogen atoms attached to the carbon atoms via single bonds. Alkanes always end in the suffix -ane Ex. Propane,Methane,Butane.
    Alkenes are double bonded hydrocarbons. They would always end in -ene. Ex. Propene,ethene.
    Alkyne, these are triple bonded Hydrocarbons and are the most unstable of the 4. They are senitive to shock. They end with -yne. Ex. Ethyne,Butyne.
    Aromatics consist of Benzene,Tolune & Xylene. Hence the BTX group. This group are ring structure,burn very dirty and are very toxic.
    2. Good
    3.Good as well. As a "general" rule salts are non-flammable and non salts are flammable.
    4. Your on the right track. The electrical attraction is strong enough in non salts that the atoms dont want to give up thier electrons, so they share some in a covalent bond. Ionic bonds are when a metal gives away its electrons to a non-metal.
    5. Good. If you were to look at the A group on the periodic table,colum 1 you would notice that sodium would be there. Well since Potassium is in the same "family" you could reasonably expect that Potassium would react similary to Sodium. Like you could expect that since Florine is a strong oxidizer, that Clorine would be one too. This does not apply to group B metals.

6. Octet with out me typeing out the whole page is: In order for an element to "happy" they want a full 8 electrons in thier outer ring, like the inert---noble gasses.
    Duet comes in to play with Heilum, which cant hold more than two electrons in its ring, but is a noble gas.

Fewwww
    And anyone that thinks that I have that rehearsed is crazy! I am getting questions out of one of my many Haz-Mat books. We need to teach more haz-mat,history,tactics and systems. How many times can we ask what is a hose and how to break a window! Ok, im putting down the coffe.......
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-03-2004 at 01:05 AM.

Ok, I am going to bed, I promise. But before I go I will ask these.

What happend revolveing doors and 11-28-1942 have in common?

What do 1301 and Montreal have in common?

Who was Peg Leg Sullivan?

What happend at Happy Land?

What did Gratacap invent?

What is K class extingsuhers?

What is the derivative and what is the fuctional group of Methanol Alcohol...CH3OH?

What is an Isomer?

Whats a Higbee cut?

Explain the difference between a Tanker-Pumper and a Pumper-Tanker.

Whats the differance between a pre action and a dry pipe system?

NFPA 101 refers to what?

What do piano's have to with sprinklers?

Remember there is ton of info on the net, not just in books.
    Good luck.

BLS...

1) Correct.
    2) Wrong. The windward side is the side where the wind is not blowing from. "I'm going to vent that window, approaching from the windward side."
    3) Partially correct. You would vent over the seat of the fire or the highest point of the building.
    4) Correct.
    5) Are you asking me or telling me?
    6) Since everyone doesn't have the same ten codes, please don't use them. I know what 10-8 is (in service). Yes you make sure it is in service, but how do you do that?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Thread Information