+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
    MembersZone Subscriber

How about some more questions?
    How about going back and answering all of the questions I have asked in my other posts while I try to prepare some "good 'n' juicy" questions?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

makes good girls go bad

Thumbs up

bump for more ?s
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'm reposting these questions from a previous pages at the request of getting more questions:
    1) what is the difference between static and dynamic rope? which is used for rescue, and why?

2) how long should you wait after cutting the battery on a car until you can assume an air bag won't deploy at a MVC?

3) List all the equipment should you have with you if you are to be assigned to a fast team? for what reason are you listing each item?

4) what tools do you need to breech a masonary/cinderblock wall? how about a sheetrock wall? what are the basic steps you use to breech the wall?

5) how many windows should you open in order to effectively positive pressure a building?

6) what should you always assume about fire walls?

7) what tools should you (or your crew) be taking with you when you are conducting a search without a hoseline?

and since Firefighter1219 seemed to have learned his lesson about asking stupid questions, here are some of the better ones that he posted that didn't get responses too:

If you have a reverse lay going to a fire, and you are holding a hose at the fire, which coupling do you have on your hand?

When hooking into a fire department connection with only one line, which side do you hook in to?

You are working off of a ladder with a pike pole on the right side, which side do you lock in on?

Which end of a haligan is the adze end?

Which side of the window is the windward side?

If possible backsdraft conditions are found to exist, what should be done to correct the problem?

If the main valve on your airpack malfunctions and you can't get air, what can you do while you and your partner are leaving the IDLH area?

While conducting an interior search, what does an X on the door mean?

You're on a RIT team and are activated to rescue an interior team. You find a chalked / on a door. What does it mean?

What should you do to a hydrant before you hook into it for water supply?
    Last edited by DrParasite; 12-15-2004 at 08:55 PM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

makes good girls go bad

2) how long should you wait after cutting the battery on a car until you can assume an air bag won't deploy at a MVC?
    - I dont belive that you CAN assume that the AB wont go off. thats why you should always wear your helmet while @ MVCs

3) List all the equipment should you have with you if you are to be assigned to a fast team? for what reason are you listing each item?

Hoseline-to put out any fire and to cover teammates whilst making rescue
    Set of Irons-to get where you need to go
    Chainsaw- to move/cut anyobject that impedes rescue
    Spare SCBA unit- to give to downed FF in case his is damaged/OOS
    rope- in case of need to bailout

4) what tools do you need to breech a masonary/cinderblock wall? how about a sheetrock wall? what are the basic steps you use to breech the wall?
    Mas/Cind wall- flathead axe/slegehammer, and a breaching pike.
    Sheetrock- roofhook

7) what tools should you (or your crew) be taking with you when you are conducting a search without a hoseline?
    -Irons, and hoseline

-the pointy end

Which side of the window is the windward side?
    -facing AWAY from the wind

If possible backsdraft conditions are found to exist, what should be done to correct the problem?
    - have the Ladder Co. vent the roof, thus releasing he gasses with out causing a backdraft
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Firefighter1219, clean out your PM box, i tried to send you a response, it's full
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    Name the 5 types of building construction.

What is a draft curtain used for?

What was the Corps of Vigles?

What happend in London 1666?

Why was the Factory Mutual insurance company started?

How many colors does the FAA allow ARFF appartaus to be?

Useing the law of static residules(sp), if you were operating a single 1.75" line and had a total pressure drop of 10% on the master pressure gauge, how many more lines of the same diamter could you operate?

What did Mattydale do to thier Buffalo?

Good luck!

ps, many of my other questions are unanswerd, give them a shot.
    Come on now, wake up! They just dont make explorers like they used too.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default in response to BLS boy

2) yes and no. there are actually books that say how long you need to wait before an airbag is deactivated. but your right, always assume that an air is active, spend as little time as you can in front of it, and always wear your gear (includes coat, helmet, eye protection, etc)

3) in all honesty, I've never seen a fast team with a dedicated hoseline (when they weren't activated anyway). good stuff, but you need a few more things. remember, you need to have all the equipment for any situation, and you won't just might not use it if activated

4) correct, however to breech a sheet rock wall, in an emergency, an ax or haligan can be used.

5) what if you are assigned to do a search without a hose line? btw, there are other tools besides the irons that you can take.

correct on the other ones though :-)
    Last edited by DrParasite; 12-16-2004 at 12:08 AM.

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter1219, clean out your PM box, i tried to send you a response, it's full
    Come on with it.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

former FH.com member

Default clean it out again 1219

thanks. -46

MembersZone Subscriber

Which end is that? I was looking for another answer.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

answers to the questions I posted

1) static rope doesn't stretch when tension is applied. dynamic rope does. as a result, only static rope is used in rescue operations.

3) while much of this is personal preference, I would add a set of bolt cutters, and a maul/sledge in case you needed to breech a masonary wall to gain entry into a building

5) only one. if you open (or break) more than one, it won't work effectively.

6) always assume they will fail, as they probably have holes cut in them by cable guys, contractors, electricians, etc.

7) a closet hook might be a good thing to bring, as well as a water can.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 12-29-2004 at 02:51 PM.

FF/EMT/DBP

makes good girls go bad

Thumbs up

bippity BUMP
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Is anyone awake............hello......... no more till you finish whats on your plate.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

which end is the adze end of a halligan.........my answer is the heavy end
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a hydraulics problem - but not for those “faint of heart”, only those who like a challenge. This is more of a test to see who really understands hydraulics.

1) A hydrant (“H”) has one 4-1/2" outlet and one 2-1/2" outlet.
    2) To the 4-1/2" hydrant outlet is attached 500 ft of 5" LDH, that supplies Engine (E-1).
    3) To the 2-1/2" hydrant outlet is attached 1000 ft of 2-1/2" hose supplying E-1.
    4) E-1 is a standard 1,500 gpm pumper.
    5) E-1 supplies 300 ft of 2-1/2" hose to a wye.
    6) One side of the wye supplies 100 ft of 1-3/4" hose to which is attached a 1-1/8" smooth bore nozzle.
    7) The other side of the wye supplies 250 ft of 1-1/2" hose to which is attached a 1" smooth bore nozzle.
    8) The pump discharge pressure (PDP) is 250 psi.

Assumptions:
    A) There is no friction loss in the wye. This will make it a bit more simple.
    B) Ignore the pressure loss in the steel piping inside the engine. Assume the PDP is at the point where the 2-1/2" hose is attached to the discharge outlet of E-1. Again, this is to simplify the problem.
    C) Ignore the “rule of thumb” that the nozzle diameter should be no larger than ˝ of the hose diameter.
    D) Both nozzles are fully open.
    E) Use the hose friction loss coefficients that are commonly found in hydraulics textbooks.

1-1/2" = 24
    1-3/4" = 15.5
    2-1/2" = 2
    5" = 0.08

Questions:
    1) How much water (gpm) is E-1 pumping?
    2) How much water (gpm) is discharging from the 1" tip?
    3) How much water (gpm) is flowing in the 5" LDH?

Hints and conditions:
    1) The problem IS solvable with the information provided. No additional information is needed.
    2) Guessing and trial and error solutions are not acceptable.

Good Luck and Have fun.

Oh Yeah, Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Ok, I'm trying this one out and I'm ending up with more friction loss than the PDP. Are you using 50 PSI as the NP?

MembersZone Subscriber

So far so good. You need to differentiate between REQUIRED PDP and ACTUAL PDP. Visualize this layout with the nozzles discharging water. You walk up to the pump panel and see a PDP of 250 psi. What are the flow rates?

In other words, it doesn't matter what PDP is required. However, you do need to calculate the required PDP to solve the problem.

Keep going. What required PDP did you get?

Forum Member

Default HOLD IT!

OK, I found a part of my problem. Somehow I ended up with a number which was WAY off. I think my fire calc's on crack. It keeps getting weird on me. (CP throws calc across room - searches for paper)

I have REQUIRED pdp @ 320psi. (seems kinda high)

The flow rate of the 1" is 210gpm. (assuming NP is 50)

I'll get back to you on the LDH part.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 01-05-2005 at 02:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, the 1" nozzle will flow 210 gpm IF the NP is 50 psi. How did you get 320 psi required PDP?

Don't be concerned about the high required pressures. Remember, the pump is actually dicharging at 250 psi.

HINT: When you successfully calculate the required PDP, it will a lot higher than 320 psi.

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    I'm reposting these questions from a previous pages at the request of getting more questions:
    1) what is the difference between static and dynamic rope? which is used for rescue, and why?

5) how many windows should you open in order to effectively positive pressure a building?

6) what should you always assume about fire walls?

If the main valve on your airpack malfunctions and you can't get air, what can you do while you and your partner are leaving the IDLH area?

These questions are subjective and have no "right answer". Each one can be answered a myriad of ways and it would depend on your department equipment, policies and a ton of other factors.

Jesse,
    I know what Mattydale did to their Buffalo! :P
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Thumbs up wow....

This is a great thread! I am learning lots!, now I only wish there was a Jr./Explorer program in my town when I was growing up, as I feel dumb now..lol.

Anyways, keep up with the questions!...and the answers for those who have no clue...like me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information