Forum Member

Default The ultimate brush truck: HEMTT

I was wondering if anyone has any knowlege of a super brush truck being built based on the military's M978 HEMTT transport tanker (2500gal) vehicle. These things are the beast of all beast when it comes to off road capabilities. Built by Oshkosh (same as crash trucks) with a 10 ton capacity, and capable of going over 80mph on the highway.
    Last edited by Fire304; 04-28-2003 at 11:43 AM.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

See photo below...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fire304; 04-28-2003 at 11:43 AM.

Forum Member

They love mud
    Last edited by Fire304; 04-28-2003 at 11:44 AM.

Forum Member

They go in the snow

Forum Member

And are capable of fording rivers, bet it would be easy to prime the pump this way too

Pierce markets a firefighting version of this truck for the army. It carries a 100 gal water tank and is outfitted for structural, Wildland, and ARFF duties. We actually considered getting one in my department, but the Hawk Extreme fits our criteria a bit better. Hopefully we get it instead. It is better for brush duties and is based on the Marine Corps standard heavy truck chassis.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

dazed and confused

Someone posted on these a while back. I wanna say it was LHS, but I can't recall for sure. Anyway they are being used for SWI fire suppression, as well as what raven said.

• 1,000 gpm (3800 lpm) single-stage
      Darley pump
      Two 2.5-inch (6.35 cm) outlets (left side)
      Two 2.5-inch (6.35 cm) outlets (right side)
      Pierce Husky® pressure-balanced foam system (twin agent)
      Two 60-gallon (228-liter) polypropylene plastic foam cells
      Ease of maintenance is assured by parts commonality – major parts are interchangeable within the HEMTT and TFFT series.
      Class B foam system (liquid fuels)
      Class A foam system (wildland and structure)
      Pump and foam controls inside cab
      Pierce galvanneal steel fire body
      1,000-gallon (3800-liter) water tank
      Hose capacity: 200 feet (60.8 m) of 1-3/4" (4.45 cm); 1,200 feet (364.8 m) of 3" (7.62 cm); 600 feet (182.4 m) of 1-3/4" (4.45 cm) DJ hose
      Roof turret/monitor and front bumper turret/monitor controls in cab
      500 gpm (1900 lpm) roof turret/monitor
      250 gpm (950 lpm) bumper turret/monitor
      Under-truck foam nozzles
      Two 1.5-inch (5.71 cm) preconnects in the hosebed
      LED lighting
      Two hard suction hoses
      Six air bottle compartments
      Ladders: one 24-foot (7.29 m) two-section ladder, one 14-foot (4.25 m) roof ladder
      Electric ladder rack
      13.39 hp (10 kw) hydraulic generator
      Telescoping light
      TNT rescue tools
      Various saws
      Air-lifting bag kit
      Extrication equipment
      Wildland tools
      Nozzles
      EMS equipment
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-28-2003 at 01:32 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

That's it! And by the way, I meant to say 1000 gal tank. This rig is a beast. We felt it was too generalized to make a good brush rig for us. It was designed for combat deployable firefighting units.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Forum Member

That thing would be useless as a brush truck out here. It wouldn't fit in 90% of the places we would have a woodland brush fire. Old dodge power wagon all the way! Small and unstopable, assuming you can learn how to drive the thing.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Car and Driver did a "road test" of a HEMTT outfitted as a brush rig several years ago.

Personally, I'd love to have one. I wonder if rocket launcers can be purchased as an option for heavy traffic conditions on the way to the fire?

I can see it now - we'll just wire the trigger to the air horn lanyard . . .

ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I believe at one time Oshkosh marketed this type of rig as the Phoenix along with their other ARFF products. It's been a year or so since I've seen this listed on their website, so I'm not sure if it's a standard offering anymore (I'm sure they'll build one for enough $$$). It seems to me that the Hawk Extreme would be a more viable option for most FD's (and thus more profitable for Oshkosh/Pierce). Perhaps that's why the Phoenix isn't around anymore. Just my $0.02 worth.

The HEMIT was first used as a fire truck by Fallon Churchill Volunteer Fire Department http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/5754/wild.html with a Oshkosh/Darley with a1250 gpm pump 3 gallon Class A and Class 6 foam tanks a 220 cu ft compressor and 2500 gallon water tank. Roof top and dual deck guns on the bumper. They even made a Car and Driver magazine road test with it, pretty cool article about 5 years ago. The U.S Army spent time in Fallon playing with their truck and bought close to 140 of their own version with 1500 less water a crew module, hose and compartment body. The big issue with the HEMIT is cost, The chassis is $325,000, Annaville's FTMV is $175,000…So two for one. They have essentially the same payload ability BUT there is a huge difference in reliability. That is why Oshkosh lost the chassis bids to the SS.

Having driven both, the HEMIT is a lot more fun. But only seats to in the tanker brush truck mode. The FTMV 3. All these comparisons to retired 6 by 6 trucks isn't a comparison, the 6 by can't go 40% of the places the SS and HEMIT can go. It is not even close. A pickup truck cannot go places these rigs can go.

If you need lots of water, a ground air tanker ability then the SS, HEMIT or American Truck Chassis are the way to go, but the roadability is exactly the order I just listed as is production numbers. The 10 wheel version of the HEMIT can pack 4000 gallons.but like the 8 wheel version needs an entire state to make a U turn. The America Truck Chassis is the ideal big tanker in the 10 wheel configuration if you want to turn. Of course the only fire truck version like the Lockheed Dragon wagons before are in Nevada.

The HEMIT can take on a 30 inch wall straight on the others a 20 to 24 inch all three will do a 67% slope. Did I mention the 2 gallons per mile and the need for a 440 HP and 300 hp motor on the HEMIT versus 8 MPG on the on the other two?

The key to all three for real staying power and the one tried and true feature with all three is CAFS. It offers everything wanted in a wildland rig. Fallon says they can go 150 minutes on a load of water. Annaville gets 60 minutes of wide open fire attack, All three can carry self loading and unloading spare tires. Fallon has come back from calls with the a wheel and tire missing with no problem. With all three you can drive over any type f fence and even over automobiles, for 4 to 8 feet of water and have the meanest looking thing on the road. All three require the non-military tires if you really want to go anywhere and the central tire inflation system.

We cover a considerable wildland area (3200 sq miles) and the possibility of having to go straight up the side of a mountain is very real to us. We felt the 1000 gal tank of the HMMT was too small for our use. The Hawk Extreme has a 2500 gal tank and can act as a water tender for our fleet of Hummers. We use them for direct attack and nurse them off of our larger units. Our current water tenders can't go the places we need them to go.

Yes, Pierce still manufactures this vehicle. It is called the TFFT.
    Check out the Hawk Extreme, it is just about as mean as the HMMT rig. It is definitely more impressive in real life though. You talk about a big truck, I think we would have to build a new station just to house it!

http://www.piercemfg.com/apparatus/Hawk_extreme.cfm
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office

IACOJ BOD

All the specs on the military version are at http://www.piercemfg.com/apparatus/TFFT.cfm

Oshkosh own Pierce, the damn thing even coms with racks for your M-16, for those awkward moments.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The M16 rack is for the inner city stations.

The redneck version comes with shotgun racks, KC lights, and the horn sounds like the General Lee.

dazed and confused

lol
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

One word, Wow.

and I want one.

The SS turned out quite nice. About the length of an extended cab chevy truck with 1500 gallons of water on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

We got to see one of these in operation last spring while at the Pierce plant. They took us for tour of the OshKosh plant. We tried to get them to put our 105 ladder on it instead but it was to far into the build.
    GFIRE

Thread Information