Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 2009 WORLD POLICE AND FIRE GAMES IN BC???

Anybody hear anything on this? Any anyone planning to attend?

B.C. wins police, fire games for 2009 Keith Fraser
    The Province Monday, April 28, 2003

The 2009 World Police and Fire Games are coming to B.C., and its proponents are hoping the games will dovetail with the 2010 Olympics, should those games be awarded to Vancouver-Whistler.

"They need to put on a major event prior to their event and it just goes hand-in-hand," said Miles Ritchie, one of two Burnaby firefighters who spearheaded the effort to land the 2009 games.

Colleague Jeff Clark said the two of them had such a great time at previous World Police and Fire Games that they wanted to offer the same experience to cops and firefighters in B.C.

"Yeah, you're competitive in your games but after the games, you go out and you have a beer and you talk about the different areas, talk about our lifestyles, basically."

The 2010 Winter Olympics Bid Committee along with the City of Burnaby, the City of Vancouver and Tourism Vancouver also helped promote the World Police and Fire bid.

A total of 45 core sports, including ice hockey, soccer, and track and field, and another 20 sports added on, will attract more than 12,000 participants from 70 countries around the world.

The sports will be played in 64 venues around B.C. and the economic spinoffs are estimated at up to $55 million.

"It is a family-oriented sports games," said Ritchie, 34.

"People will participate in the sports and then enjoy a holiday. You can look at each person bringing in 2.1 persons with them, is the number they came up with."

The World Police and Fire Games were last held in B.C. in 1989.

kfraser@png.canwest.com

© Copyright 2003 The Province
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Hey Malahat, I had better start training.

Colleague Jeff Clark said the two of them had such a great time at previous World Police and Fire Games that they wanted to offer the same experience to cops and firefighters in B.C.
    The last games were here in Christchurch, New Zealand and created a massive requirement for amber refreshments.

Count me in.

Just a thought but an I.A.C.O.J. special meeting could be convened one evening, with Cap Gonzo's permission of course.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

YAHOO!!!! We'll be there! I was coordinator for Billards when we hosted the NW games in the late 80's, I have a wee bit of retribution concerning alcohol consumption for you Canadians! Party is on!!!!

Originally posted by ARFF26
    I have a wee bit of retribution concerning alcohol consumption for you Canadians!
    Sounds like a Challenge for the world famous Malahat Olympic Drinking Team!!!
    (specializing in the 4 by 100 drinking relay, and synchronized drinking)
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Hey Malahat, I had better start training.
    Is that Training for the games, or training to drink Canadian Beer?

What do sex in a canoe and American Beer have in common?

They're both f#$king close to water.

Forum Member

Speaking of canoes, The Canadian government has pledged two of theit biggest battleships, six hundred ground troops and six fighter jets to aid the US in the war on terrorism.

Of course, after the exchange rate we ended up with one canoe, 2 mounties and a flying squirrel.

We've got GPS on those squirrels now!

or we could send you a seaking....

Forum Member

Ya'll got GPS on EVERYTHING! When I had lasik done up in Van I tried recovering GPS but they said that was one of the few things that doesn't have GPS. But, no complaints, eh

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I can't figur out wat your takin aboot, but I think you mean GST eh!

And you stole the canoe and squirrel thing from rspct. She is Canadian after all.

Forum Member

I was takin aboot taxes so I should ave remembered it was GST and not GPS eh? I'll have to credit one of my partners here at work with stealing the canoes from Sher since I got it from him. Besides, what's Sher need with a canoe in Calgary anyhow? The squirrels I can understand, but canoes?

Guess that I'll have to drink more Guinness to ready myself for the games since the exchange rate is reversed on the alcohol content of beer.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Besides, what's Sher need with a canoe in Calgary anyhow? The squirrels I can understand, but canoes?
    Oh I don't know, a canoe might come in handy living in Malahat, 5 minutes from the lake
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

The Fire Olympics in Christchurch were fantastic. Looking forward to Sheffield in 2004 or perhaps Quebec for 2005 for Police & Fire. Will definately be in Vancouver for the games.

One thing I learned in Christchurch....never drink with the Austrailian Airport Guys.

Cheers

Forum Member

Don't shoot the messenger.

Before anybody gets too excited, I just want to point out that the World Police/Fire Games is, unless I am very much mistaken, open to full-time paid firefighters only. I would advise any volunteer firefighters interested in taking part confirm the eligibility requirements before making travel plans.

manofire2, one word.

BOLLOCKS

How come hundreds of volunteers from around New Zealand and Australia attended the Christchurh games?

Check the main web site and look at the eligibility, it is also open to RETIRED FF's.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Kiwi, whats the website? The article didn't come issued with one.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

RspctFrmCalgary,

It very rarely ever gets refereed to as simply "Malahat."

"The Malahat" is more common.

It really isn't a place as much as it is a thing or object.

For example, you wouldn't say, "I live in THE Calgary," but you would say, "I live on THE Malahat." It needs a THE (and in case, the IN should be changed to an "ON").

Saying "I live in Malahat," while correct, doesn't sound right in normal conversation (or drunk'n conversation either). I know it isn't proper English, but it's Malahat English, eh.

Pfire and two-7 should know what I am getting at.

We'll sign you up for the Malahat Orientation Program (MOP, but not Tim's 'mop') when you have a better idea when you will be moving here.

thanks for the edumacationism, Kiwi.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    manofire2, one word.

BOLLOCKS

How come hundreds of volunteers from around New Zealand and Australia attended the Christchurh games?

Check the main web site and look at the eligibility, it is also open to RETIRED FF's.
    Bollocks?

I suppose that means you don't believe me.

Check out your own link, Christchurch has never hosted the World Police/Fire Games.

It also states that it is open to "sworn full-time law enforcement officers and firefighters". You are quite correct when you state it is open to retired FF's. Where you are incorrect is that the eligibility rules specifically state that you're primary occupation must be (or have been, if retired) law enforcement or firefighting. The rules specifically refer to volunteer FF's and states very clearly that they are not eligible.

Now to set the record straight. Christchurch did in fact host a very successful World Firefighter Games, which allow participation by volunteers. The World Police/Fire Games which are being hosted by Burnaby do not.

Again don't shoot the messenger. I didn't make the rules. For more complete rules check out www.cpaf.org

manofire2, the loud banging you can hear is me beating my head agianst the wall saying "I promise to drink less next time"

My apologies, it was a bit blurry at the time.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information