Forum Member

Lightbulb airbags in fire trucks

What does everybody think of Pierce offering Side Roll Protection (SRP)airbags? I seen the display at FDIC and thought it was very impressive. I don't any of the other manufactures are offering a option like this. Cost might be a factor, but when it comes to firefighter safety, can you put a $$$ on that?

Forum Member

Have not seen them. Would be interesting to see how (where?) they put bags in an 8 man cab, or are they for the driver/ front passenger only? Do they operate same as normal side impact bags or are they for roll over only? Are front airbags now standard?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I believe the airbags are for side roll over only, not frontal impact. From what I read, It won't stop a roll-over accident from happening, but it will protect you or improve your chances from getting injured if you are involved in one. If I understood the saleman at FDIC correctly, he stated you could get protection for up six firefighters (driver, officer, 4 crew).

Forum Member

I just went to the Pierce website and read up about them. Sounds better than nothing. I also wonder what $$$ it will add to the price. I'd rather pay for them than someone useless shiny doo dad, that is for sure.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Arrow Air Bags

I checked those out at FDIC also and it seems to me like if you are in the ideal crash they would help. If it is anything other than a perfectly straight side roll over the chances of them helping are pretty nill. At least for the $5-$6000 they were talking about as a base cost.

Just a thought.

MembersZone Subscriber

Put on your seat belt. Same as in a car. It will improve/provide safety and won't injury you. Damn "air" bags.

Forum Member

They have airbags in almost everything else, coming out in 2005 with airbags in shopping carts.

Forum Member

I'd be willing to bet that they won't do much unless the FFr's are wearing seat belts, as it is with most other airbags.

As to airbags everywhere, I saw a picture last year that Saab was developing (no joke) a pedestian air bag! If you hit a person with your car, the back of the hood angles up to deflect the person over the car more than into the windshield, and an air curtain rolls out of the back edge of the hood and covers the entire windshield.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently saw the pedestrian airbags in Design News (I think). It was a European standard and I don't remember the implementation date. They were also developing "soft" front bumpers.

I dont know about the pedestrian airbag... doesnt seem right... nex there will be tire air bags(not that they already arent) to protect the roadkill...
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

I think its pretty cool that they are making this but i thing it will have a big priuce tag on it
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Thumbs up

http://www.piercemfg.com/company/sid...protection.cfm

This link offers a great video of what side roll protection offers. They are not really "airbags" like in passanger vehicles. The system involves ballisitc seatbelt pre-tensioners and head curtains, similar to the BMW and Mercedes systems.

It's a great innovation, but we should all be wearing our seatbelts!!

Thread Information