Forum Member

Question Electronic Air Horn

Has anybody heard/used, or had experience with Whelen's electronic air horn, with or without PA?
    (links below)

Without PA: http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProdu...068&hiddenQty=1

With PA: http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProdu...069&hiddenQty=1

My volunteer dept. has one of those older electronic air horns on the ambulance. Just my opinion, but there is nothing like a REAL airhorn to encourage traffic out of your way. The older electrics would "cut out" the siren when you used them, and ours is not very loud at all. Thank God the new ambulance will have a REAL airhorn mounted on it. The one bad thing I can think of about having the airhorn, is that you can use up your air, and be without brakes, which is a bad thing!

Forum Member

Originally posted by SHED376
    The one bad thing I can think of about having the airhorn, is that you can use up your air, and be without brakes, which is a bad thing!
    Not exactly. Air brakes are the opposite of the common thought. Releasing air is what activates the brakes. If you lose your air, the truck stops. The faster you bleed the air out, the faster you stop.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Nmfire,
    I don't have much in the mechanical area of air brakes, I just know that they are air powered, and they make me stop. My question then, is why do the brakes go away, and the low air alarms come on when we use the air horn a little too much? This is an older truck, I have been told that some newer trucks have their own compressor for the air horns now. And yes sometimes we are way too happy to use the air horn! Your statement makes sense, but what happens on our truck doe'snt jive with what you are saying? Shed

Forum Member

Someone with a more mechanical skill level is going to have to answer that. What your describing doesn't happen on an air brake system as far as I know. You lose air in the maxi-cans, there is nothing to keep the springs from expanding and applying the brakes.

Forum Member

Most likley the feeling of brakes "going away" is when
    the brakes are hot from lack of air pressure ofsetting the springs

Temporarily/No Longer Active

my friend works for kme and he asks me to go with him to deliver different fire trucks and i have noticed some have the electronic airhorn and an elctronic Q. as SHED376 said there is nothing like the real thing i mean the electronic's do the job but not as good as the real thing.

Forum Member

first, air brake discussion.... Air pressure releases the spring style parking brakes, and if the air pressure drops too low, and the buzzer comes on, the air pressure is not enough to keep the parking brake off, and the parking brake will apply itself. It DOES require pressure to apply the brakes, and stopping power.

Second, i was asking about the electronic air horn for ambulance use, where the real thing is not practical to mount.
    Last edited by HFRH28; 06-19-2005 at 02:07 PM.

I also had been looking at the air horn for my pick-up. We are not allowed anything in our POV to respond to calls. I would guess they won't be as loud as a siren air horn but maybe a better speaker would help.
    Now to the off subject of this post. If you are this confused on air brake operations I sure hope someone els is driving. You should find someone to teach your department about air brakes before they can drive the trucks. If you don't understand how they work they WILL bite you eventually.
    If your truck is loosing that much air with the horn, it may need a new compressor. If that checks out OK then I would add an air tank to keep more air volume available. Maybe a different horn that does'nt use as much air.

Forum Member

Thanks for everybody's input. Does this have the capability, like a regular siren, of hooking up a radio to it, so that it goes out over the speaker?

Forum Member

The electronic air horns are nothing more than a siren without the siren tones. They are the same airhorn sound, the same wattage, and use the same speakers. It is the same as pushing the airhorn button on a normal siren. They do not have radio re-broadcast.

As for air brakes... Yes, I screwed up the service brake part. Stepping on the brake pedal applys pressure. HOWEVER, running out of air will cause the spring in the maxi-cans to apply the parking brake. Hint Hint... This is rather frightening when the vehicle is in motion.

Forum Member

I believe that on the newer trucks (1980+) the air supply for the braking system is supposed to be isolated from the air supply for ancillary items eg air ride seats, air wipers, windows and horns. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    This is of course only my humble opinion, but then again, its likely the only one that matters.

Forum Member

An electric air horn would be good enough for a POV.

Forum Member

My main want was something with radio rebroadcast. It seems like this is what i'm looking for: http://www.southwestpublicsafety.com/100watparadr.html

MembersZone Subscriber

I have herd the whelen electronic air horn and wish I had the oney to put it on my car for use as a regular horn since mine sounds like a mouse being butchered. I would get the whelen because it comes the closet out of all the other manufacturers to a real air horn sound. Ambulances use that feature all the time in a city where I go to school.

Thread Information