Default Washing the trucks....

Just wondering how everyone washes their rigs? Specifically, what do you use to wash the rigs?

My dilemma: My volunteer Chief states that Pierce instructed him to was the rigs with dish soap. I have been told time and time again by many automotive types that the dish soap will strip the wax! Makes sense to me once they describe the chemicals to me.

Dilemma #2: My career dept. uses an automotive soap that contains a wax which is pretty good. The problem is that we use these scrub brushes(with broom handles attached). I have notice that the older trucks paint is dull, and scratched to hell. So now we approx. 12 newer rigs (2 years and newer) and what to we do to them. use the brushes which scratch the hell out of them.

The volunteer rigs are completely waxed once per year (and thanks to me we now use an automotive soap), and they look great even after 15 years. I think this is due to the hand washing with mitts or sponges.

What do you think and/or do?

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Brother Shed...

Here is a website that can answer a lot of your questions about ther care and maintenance of any car or truck...

www.autopia.org

It is a web site for clean car fanatics. It may seem like informational overload, but there is a ot of great information there. I post on their forums as Gonzo 0903, there is also a Phoenix jake who posts by the name of Bunkers and a few other firefighters on that site.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Scrub Scrub Scrub!

washing is fun! until you have to do a 2100 gallon stainless steel tank. =)

Anyway, we use the brushes at our department too. The only thing with them you have to watch is that when you do tires, either spray it out or swish it around well in the bucket. We have them to make it easier to do the trucks. We also use a car wash instead of dish soap. The dish soap also lets alot of streaks on the trucks if you dont rinse it very well

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I have notice that the older trucks paint is dull, and scratched to hell.
    Me thinks that the fadeing has less to do with washing and more to do with UV rays breaking down your paint over time.

At the railroad museum I work at cars that were repainted in the 70's-80's are up for repainting because they have faded so much. But in 1995 they finally decided to come into the modern world and use Dupont's Inron railroad paint on every new repaint they do because it will last and last and last.

Forum Member

We use wash brushes to wash all of our trucks, and they are not all scratched up, but we rinse them out real good after we wash the tires...and we are now using a high sud, high foam wash, we used to use a car wash/wax that was pretty good also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Zep O Shine, we use Zep Truck Brushes also.

The brushes don't scratch the paint the dirt caught in the brushes when not taken care of does.

Also DuPont IMRON paint doesn't need waxing

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm not sure if the older trucks were painted with the Imron paint or not. I don't think the U.V. rays are that much of a problem. We do run alot, but we are "night fighters" so all of the long hours outside working are usually at night. I forgot to mention the gold leaf problem. Ours is almost gone on some trucks. I know the gold leaf is not as tough as paint, but how does my volunteer dept. trucks look so nice after a longer period of time? It's interedting that the Imron paint does not need to be waxed. My grandad being an old Jake believed that everything painted had to be waxed! I guess I got that from him!

Forum Member

Your volunteer chief doesnt know what he is talking about. Dishsoap WILL strip wax. When I detail cars I use regular blue dawn to strip them of old wax and oils.

We use brushes on roll up doors and where we cant reach.

Otherwise we use sheepskin wash mitts.

Also usully dry truck with absorber.
    Last edited by SCOOBY14B; 04-29-2003 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member

we use 55 gal drum of auto wash soap with the brushes ........our brushes are made for windows ?> and we do not scratch the paint either .....DISH SOAP is a NO NO ! all trucks get waxed twice a year ...
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Wax twice a year???

ALL our apparatus gets waxed once a month.
    1st Saturday - Engines
    2nd Saturday - Ladders/ Rescues if no ladder
    3rd Saturday - Rescue
    4th Saturday - Squad/ special teams units

Forum Member

Scooby we are a paid on call dept with 7 or so apparatus ......so thats why only twice a year ......
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Sr. Information Officer

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Scooby we are a paid on call dept with 7 or so apparatus ......so thats why only twice a year ......
    Hey Weruj1...are you the guys I hear on 153.890MHz, in Rossford?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Temporarily/No Longer Active

SHED376 next time I go up to the museum I will ask the restoration/maitnence people about Imron paint. I am more in the operations side rather than the maitnence so I couldnt give you all the tech specs.

-dfd

Forum Member

Weruj1: Scooby we are a paid on call dept with 7 or so apparatus ......so thats why only twice a year ......
    We are a volunteer fire dept. with 7 trucks, and all of them get waxed about once a month as well....

Kris

Talking

Our rigs (9 of 'em) get washed atleast twice a week. Not sure on when the waxing is done.

Just make sure all that soap is EPA Approved . Wouldn't want to get into that whole mess would we??

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Truck Washing

On my department we try to wash the trucks after each call. We at least spray them down and dry them. About once a month we have a wax party and wax all of the rigs. Our ambulances are washed twice during the day shift. We aren't a very big department apparatus wise all we have is: 2 750 gallon Pumpers, 1 Telesquirt Ladder, 1 medium duty rescue, 1 light duty rescue, 1 brush truck with 350gpm pump, and 2 ALS squads (Ambulances).
    Ceredo Fire-Rescue
    NREMT-Basic,Firefighter,Hazmat- Tech,Smoke Diver

"Live Long, Die Fast, have as much fun possible in between."

These are my opinions, not my departments.

INFOMERCIALS!!! once in a while i will catch one with some power washing stuff thats great. but really there are some scrubber things that are prtty much mops used to take the polin of your car. just use thoes and a bucket of mcguires (spelling) car wash, good stuff.

Forum Member

Ed,
    Are we "skippin" all the way over there ? cause that is us ! let me know more either here or PM or email ......WOW
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information