Question Questions about sewing letters on tournout gear does this compromise the gear at all?

One of my buddys said that sewing on turnout gear by anyone other than the manufacturer is not good and takes away some of the protective ability. Do they use any special thread?
    Last edited by MeasterBFD; 05-07-2003 at 10:44 AM.

District Chief

People who repair and do maintenance on gear are supposed to use NOMEX Thread. Sewing letters on the coat does not compromise the coat unless you break the vapor barrier or thermal barrier. The letters are sewn on outer shell and therefore there is no problem. No different than the stitching for the seams...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Originally posted by captstanm1
    People who repair and do maintenance on gear are supposed to use NOMEX Thread. Sewing letters on the coat does not compromise the coat unless you break the vapor barrier or thermal barrier. The letters are sewn on outer shell and therefore there is no problem. No different than the stitching for the seams...
    Thanks.
    Member, United Fire Company Of Botsford.
    My posts are not the opinions of nor do they represent UFC Botsford.

Where can you get Nomex Thread?

Forum Member

Originally posted by janiceSilva
    I don't know, but if you find out, ask them where to get a needle that will go through the dang outer shell!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Our turnout gear supplier sells small spools of nomex thread. Fortunately, he's local so we just have to run up the street to get it.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

Forum Member

I don't know, but if you find out, ask them where to get a needle that will go through the dang outer shell!
    Amen to that, we had to send our gear off to get some stitching done on it because the local dry cleaners (that does sewing as well) could not do it...

District Chief

www.glovesinc.com.

www.turnoutgearcleaner.com

There is another company called "Solutions"

In Florida there is Bay Area Gear Repair in Port Richey (Pasco County)

You should not under any circumstances send your gear to a dry cleaner. They have no training or certification to repair firefighting gear. Read the NFPA Standard (1851). It calls for repairs to be made by a certified company. One that has training in repair of vapor barriers and is familiar with the different stitching. Additionally, if you send it to them for repair (the dry cleaners) will no doubt clean it. The "Perc" they use will damage the shell and cause it to begin to degradate. Dry cleaners use harsh chemicals that are corrosive. Think about it...do you want your gear cleaned with a "corrosive" It severely damages the outer shell, vapor barrier and thermal barrier and will compromise the safety of the ensemble.

Use a company that specializes in cleaning and repairing of fire gear and can show you their certificates of training.

Besides....Why do you think dry cleaners do not have the type of needly and thread you need.....because they have no business repairing and cleaning your gear!!!!!
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

My grandmother can sew them for me. She has been a seamstress for years. Do I really really need nomex thread? I am not FF1 cert and won't be for a while. I figure if the thread is going to burn I have more things to worry about then letters falling off. But I plan on just pulling the liner out and having her machine sew them on. If the thread is that big of a deal I can always order some.
    Member, United Fire Company Of Botsford.
    My posts are not the opinions of nor do they represent UFC Botsford.

Forum Member

What about dept. patches? Can you sew them on as well. Using the Nomex thread and only on the outer shell of course. I once heard that in a situation where there is heat impingment on the area where the patch is, it causes the retention of heat, thus causing a burn to the skin. Is there any truth to that?
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Each mfg has different requirements and standards. Why don't you contact the mfg of your gear and get the proper answer from them. In general I know that they all require nomex thread.

Gary

Permanently Removed

Default West coast info...

Here is a good source on the West coast for any
    turnout issues and questions. They got a toll-
    free # and the guy there is pretty nice to chat
    with.
    -Bou

Turnout Services- Factory Authorized and trained.
    (800) 480-6108
    www.turnoutservices.com

District Chief

Post Limits of liability

I just had a discussion with a manufacturer this morning. If you have gear repaired or items added by a non recognized or non certified agency or person (ie., Dry Cleaners, Shoe and Leather Repair Store, Grandma) that voids the warranty and manufacturers limits of liability.

Sewing your patch on the coat is not a problem as long as you use nomex or kevlar thread. As far as I know it has no bearing on heat retention, but it may contribute to damaging the outer shell In fact the shoulder patch (since it is non fire retardant) could possibly burn in a room and contents situation even at lower temps. It would be the same is having direct flame contact to the outer shell if it caught fire. However, I do know of Departments that have sewn patches on the gear and had no problems.
    BMI Investigator

Talking

The boys up here in DCFD have been putting company patches on their running coats for years. Haven't heard of any problems with patches lighting up, but they sure do get pretty charred

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by LoudounFF
    The boys up here in DCFD have been putting company patches on their running coats for years. Haven't heard of any problems with patches lighting up, but they sure do get pretty charred
    While training up north in Kemano a couple of years back, one of my guys got a small second degree burn from a black manufacturer's patch applied to the arm of his brand new turnout gear. There was no doubt what gave him the burn, as it was exactly the size and shape of the little patch.

Surprised the hell out of us, especially since it came on the gear. We take those little patches off now.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Keep the sewing machine on hold.

Originally posted by MeasterBFD
    My grandmother can sew them for me. She has been a seamstress for years. Do I really really need nomex thread? I am not FF1 cert and won't be for a while. I figure if the thread is going to burn I have more things to worry about then letters falling off. But I plan on just pulling the liner out and having her machine sew them on. If the thread is that big of a deal I can always order some.

Just because you are not going to be FF1 for a while does not mean that you can't ignore standards. Nomex threat should be used for all repairs, alterations etc. But I do have a recommendation that would work for most applications. Purchase a Fire Resistant panel with the letters already sewn on, that way all you have to do is apply the panel to the coat. Or send the coat into an authorized gear repair company and have them do it, here is a recommendation for you.

http://www.massarosgearrepair.com/

Forum Member

If you do not want to spend a fortune, you do not want to buy nomex thread. You SHOULD NOT sew anything to your gear without the right tread. No alterations should be done by anybody that is not recognized to do them. If you would like to know more, contact Rob at Shamrock Gear (330) 313-1220 and ask him how much he would charge to put your letters on. He has very reasonable prices, and you may get the work done for less than the $70 spool of nomex thread that he buys. His website is Fire Gear Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.

I would not compromise your gear with alterations just to save a few bucks. Even if you are not FF1 yet, that gear may be reissued one day to somebody who is.

Thread Information