Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Yeah, but the Outback Steak House is not particulary authentic, I've been there on a previous trip to the US. Fosters is actually our recycled dishwater that we sell to unsuspecting foreigners , beer is good stuff like Tooheys/Hahn/Carlton or if you are from stillPSFB's patch, VB (Victoria Bitter) or Flying Kiwi's patch, Speights/Canterbury Draught/DB/Lion Brown.

I did some recent confined space entry training at an Aussie beer manufacturer and asked them at the end of the session where the camels were that p#@ssed in their bottles before they sold it!

They didn't like me for that...! Not sure why.....
    Luke

Pumper41, I really didn't think the Out Back was authentic because it looks too much like a caricature, but the food is good and the beer is cold.

Lutan1, I bet they liked you a lot, did they ask you back?
    Fire and Police - Americas first line of defense.

Lutan1, I bet they liked you a lot, did they ask you back?
    They did! Had a very good working relationship with them...
    Luke

Good Man!

Greetings fellow Aussies and others,
    I am a paid comms operator with the SA Country Fire Service (CFS) and also a volly fire fighter with CFS at Happy Valley.
    We have just had a report released by the SA government that recommends a lot of fire & rescue services be combined mainly in the country areas due to duplication of resources , lack of people and low response numbers. It will be interesting to see what happens. My brigade does 300 calls a year and we don't do medical (none of us do) so I don't know what will happen with us, we are in an urban area as well with rural interface.

By the way COOPERS PALE ALE is the only beer that is worth drinking.
    If any of you Americans have any new pumpers or rescues that you want to send our way feel free, must be better than the jap crap we drive, grandma's diesel Gemini would pass it going down hill!!

Hey there 32 and welcome.

If it is done correctly, amalgamation works. Here in NZ we had dozens of different fire authorities up until the late 70's, by 1980 they had been amalgamated into the New Zealand Fire Service with one controlling body.

A couple of benefits from this.

Standardised training, it does not matter where you are in the country, you will be able to get to work with a crew.

Standardised equipment, makes it a lot easier to work with your neighbours when you use the same gear off the truck.

Larger knowledge pool. Helps with assesing new equipment as well as developing SOP's and training.

Some of the things that occur will be muttered about and the Dinosaurs will disagree with, but most of that is the standard human response to change.

Mt station fits in the same category as yours, and from what I have been told there were only benefits for the station as a result.

One of the biggest was that the Fire Service had to bring PPE up to the same standard for everybody, no more hand me down old style gear at the Voli stations. That also applies now to equipment.

In a strange way, even though we bitch about it OSH has had a positive impact as well. Due to the employers responsibilities and ours as Firefighters, gear is maintained to a higher standard, is fixed quickly, and has a longer life span due to its maintenance.

And I agree on the dinky toy Rice Burner trucks, how the heck do you fit four FF's (average height 6') in the back of a truck designed for four 5' 4" people, answer is "Not very well".

PS. I am 6' 2" and driving some of these things calls for major contortion acts to be be performed when changing gears.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Default Doing medical calls

Hi Kiwi,

Do you guys do the medical calls as well or only firefighting stuff.

We do not do the med calls here yet. Think it may happen some day though. We have a seperate ambulance/paramedic service. We mostly beat them to calls though so have Basic Life Support training as well as Advanced Resucitation.

See ya
    AFG

NZ is the same as Australie we have seperate services thankfully.

A lot of Brigades do First Response work, fortunately we have a seperate First Response team in my town.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thanks for the info flying kiwi, I have looked at the New Zealand fire service and it looks very good. I can only hope we head the same way. I believe it will improve the service we provide and cut duplication. For example 1 town has 4 sets of heavy rescue and have a combined call total of about 80! things like that will be sorted out.
    I guess we will see over time.

Firetruck32,
    The problem with American apparatus is the cost. Here it Baltimore we have mostly Pierce Pumpers and Seagrave Trucks and it is very fine equipment, but it is also very expensive.

If I come across Coopers Ale I'll definitely give it a try.

Y'all be safe now heay!

Default Down Under WPFG?

Will any of you lot be participating in the 2007 World Police and Fire Games in Adelaide? I am hoping to get back down under for a major vacation and participation in the games (or go as a cheerleader for our soccer team!)

I'll gladly raise a glass or two of Coopers, Toohey or maybe a bottle of your best red plonk with any of you!

Cheers

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

Talking Twisted my arm!!

Hi Pat,

You can always twist my arm for a nice red or a tooheys!!! Haven't thought as far ahead as 2007 yet but will let you know You can't go wrong coming Down Under. We are always hard to talk into going for a drink......NOT!

Always love to make new friends. You can never get enough of them can you.

Stay safe
    AFG

Default I am an aussie

Hey,

I have noticed it is very hard to find Aussie firies on line where ever i go.

I am a volunteer fire fighter, currently in Tassie, but previously in Victoria. I am keen to chat to other both permo and vol ff from around Aus just to keep up to date with what is happening around the place, things are pretty quiet down here.

Any how love to hear from you all,

Cheers Robyn
    email. therobstar@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Welcome Robyn, I was am also a former Victorian vollie, but I headed north to NSW to become a career FF with the NSWFB. It's just a little bit warmer than Tassie.

Hi Pumper,

So where abouts in Vic did you use to be?? and where in NSW are you now??

You are probably right tassie is quite cold at the moment... did think of moving up higher but i hear it is cold all over OZ at the moment. So how long have you been a career ff??

Stay in touch i would very much like to hear what your upto... i feel like things are alot slower over here than Vic and i missin out.

Cheers. Robyn

Cool Good to be here

Hi Gang!

I came across this site yesterday and just had to sign up. I'm almost a firey. Just missed out on MFB and CFA selection earlier this year (that's Victorian metro and country fireys) however CFA have got me in a development program to get me in next time.

If anyone has got any suggestions on training, either physical or mental that will help me get in, that would be great. I have a bit of an idea but coming from an experience person would be a lot better.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Josh

Default AFG!!!!

I'll definitely look you up when I get to OZ for the WPFG. I have family in Seeednee (did I say that right Kiwi?), a couple of firey friends in Melbourne, and an old buddy in Adelaide (who's a travel agent, so he'll be the one I call to arrange my stay there)

I cannot wait to get down under again....I'm hoping I can combine all my holidays and see if I can get some extra time in my OT bank so I can stay for at least 6 weeks (of course, my bank manager might have a thing or two to say about that!!)

And of course, I'll have to visit the family winery, Tyrrell's. Maybe I can find a long lost rich relative or two who might persuade me to stay!! (I wish)

Cheers

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Talking Hello from Canada !!!

Hey everyone. I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I am a fire fighter, haz mat tech, CBRN from Toronto Fire Services. My wife and I are really looking forward to our trip to NZ in 18 months..with one day hopes of moving there.

Take care all..

Smurf

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread (as it's getting a bit old now)... But just thought I might shove my head in and say Hi to anyone who is still listening. I'm a CFA Volunteer firefighter from the S.E. Suburbs of melb, Region 8, you know you love us....

Anyway just thought i'd say hi.

Thread Information