Forum Member

Question Where are all the Aussie's and Kiwi's?

Hello fellow Firies and Friends,

Just thought I would make an appearance in the Aussie and Kiwi section. It is really quiet here so we need some posts. I know there are other members out there from down here. Where you hiding?

I am from Sydney and work as a permo FF and yes I am as one of my fellow brothers calls me a Front bum Firie..I have 2 kidlets.

Where you all from????

If anyone even comes here to read these threads lets get some action going here. It is a little sad really. We are letting the side down.

Aussiefiregirl

IACOJ BOD

Shhhhhhhh, Firies asleep.

Kiwi looks around the room and shouts HALLOOOOOOOOO.

Geez its empty in here, oh well it must be time for a beer with the "Fireman with bumps" from Seedneey.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Did someone say beer???

Hiya Flying Kiwi,

Can be persuaded to have an occasional beer. Which is very unusual for a firie!

I have come across a few Aussies and Kiwi's here but they are all definitely asleep!!

Stay safe.
    Aussiefiregirl

Hey Ian-
    Check it out:
    http://www.rescuetees.com/cgi-bin/ms...ecals&c=Decals

Looks like we're left out... again...(although they do offer an Australian flag one)

Do you know where I can get a wee NZ flag sticker?

It's getting warmer up here.

Enjoy your cold weather.

Do they have Killians Red down under?

How big is the Sydney FD, I mean manpower and equipment wise? What is the population?
    Last edited by TheOldSchool; 05-02-2003 at 01:35 PM.

IACOJ BOD

TheOldSchool, Aussiefiregirl will answer the Sydney question, but it usually costs a beer .

For info on the New Zealand Fire Service, go to www.fire.org.nz

You come to Baltimore, Maryland USA and I'm buying!

IACOJ BOD

Hey Fergus.

Realising the Aussie flag does not have the red stripe inside the stars is an issue, but if you get an Aussie flag sticker and use a blue marker pen to mark out the extra star it should be OK.

I will keep my eyes open around here for you.

As a thought Fergus, if you visit http://www.ufba.org.nz/ That is the United Fire Brigades Asssociation web site, they have an online store with heaps of Kiwi FF goodies for you.

Hey I been doing some searching for you. look at these...

http://www.kiwifruitsnzshop.com/

Go to the Souviners page.

We do a few "Tiki Tours" down that way often for R & R, tell me which ones you like and we will stop in and get them for you.

Check out this.http://www.cdp.co.nz/sq/patchweb/col...g/nzfs_new.jpg

It is the proposed new patch we are going to get later this year.

Hows things going anyway Brother, long time no see.

To TheOldSchool, same applies to anyone wandering down this way. And we may take you up on that offer someday.
    Last edited by FlyingKiwi; 05-02-2003 at 08:08 PM.

Forum Member

Hi aussiefiregirl, like yourself I am a career firefighter in the NSWFB, you can figure out my station from "pumper41" obviously

Forum Member

Hi "TheOldSchool", Sydney is within the state of New South Wales, which is covered by two statewide fire services, the New South Wales Fire Brigades and the New South Wales Rural Fire Service. The NSWFB has about 3200 career and 2800 retained (paid on call) firefighters statewide, and the NSWRFS has about 40,000 volunteer firefighters across rural fire districts. The greater Sydney area has about 100 NSWFB stations, 2500 career and 200 retained firefighters, and about 60 volunteer crewed NSWRFS stations.

MembersZone Subscriber

and then there is little old me down here in Melbourne Every summer though we get to go to Sydney and play with the big kids at least once Locally this has become known as our annual "Road Trip" - it just happens, we don't have to plan the trip. Usually when we are heading up the mighty Hume Highway on our 800 mile trip we start singing "We are all going on a Summer Holiday..."
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 05-03-2003 at 11:30 PM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Pumper 41,
    Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. The next cold beer I have will be to your health. Like most Americans what I know about Australia and New Zealand comes from the Crocodile Hunter programs shown on TV and you don't get much information about the cities and suburbs there, just the outback. Ga'day.

Forum Member

Default yay we have some action!

I have been away for the weekend and come back and find all these posts. Great!

Pumper41 I am stationed at 34. There is only one Female there so you can find out who I am pretty easily. I was in Comms for a few years so I do know where you are. lol

Just to add to your post. Of the 3200 odd permanent firies in the NSWFB there are nearly 100 women. When I joined the job there were only around 14 and that was 7 years ago.

The Old School, never had a Killian's Red but always willing to taste a different beer !!!

Stay well guys.
    Aussiefiregirl

Do the Fire Fighters in your part of the world do Emergency Medical calls? In Baltimore that is the largest part of our service. Difficulty breathing, shootings, auto accidents and chest pains etc. Our last trick was a good one though as far as fire service, though we did have 1 fatality.

FIGJAM

I too come from the land down under!

The best part of the world!!!

Up until recently a 12 year volunteer, now full time employed training and co-ordinating 2 industrial emergency response teams and all health and safety training for approx 2000 employees for a private pharmaceutical manufacturing company....
    (Not Pan!!! )
    Luke

Forum Member

Default Medical services

Hi Old School,

We don't do medical emergencies in the Fire Brigades here. We all are trained in Basic Life Support and the Ambulance service/Paramedics do the Medical part. I am not sure how long they will be a seperate service. I am sure they will go the way your Dept operates eventually. There is a weird system in place with the rescue part of operations too. Right now all 3 services have Rescue Depts. They have boundaries where one city will have ambulance Rescue (about 3 areas), one will have Police Rescue (Which is mainly only in the Business district of the City of Sydney) and the rest are Fire Brigades Rescue. There used to be alot of fighting between the services but since there were a few terrible rescue jobs (eg Thredbo landslide) where all services had to work as a team, they do seem to have gotten better.

When we respond to a MVA, House Alight, Bomb Threat etc etc. There is protocol in place where all services are responded. That is Police, Ambo's and us. Makes for a busy little scene.

Sorry for the garbled post. Wanted to do this last night when I had more time but couldnt get in to the reply screen.

Take care and if I am ever in Baltimore will take you up on the beer offer.

Aussiefiregirl

In Baltimore we only used to do BLS but the new people coming in have to learn ALS and sometimes ride the medic units to fill in for vacancies, vacation etc. It seems sometimes that the emphasis is off of fire fighting and on Emergency Medical Services. That wouldn't be bad if they didn't use the Medics like taxis.

Forum Member

Further to aussiefiregirl's response we are fortunate in New South Wales, Australia to have a completely seperate statewide professional paramedic ambulance service. As aussiefiregirl said, we firefighters are trained to BLS/Oxygen Resusitation level so that we can commence treatment prior to ambulance arrival (at my station we usually arrive ahead of an ambulance). All our pumpers carry an extensive trauma kit and an Oxy-Viva III (O2 resusitation/therapy), AED's are also carried on our rescue apparatus.

Did you know that the Outback Steak House was one of the best restaurant chains in The United States?

Is Foster's the name for Beer in Australia?
    Fire and Police - Americas first line of defense.

Forum Member

Yeah, but the Outback Steak House is not particulary authentic, I've been there on a previous trip to the US. Fosters is actually our recycled dishwater that we sell to unsuspecting foreigners , beer is good stuff like Tooheys/Hahn/Carlton or if you are from stillPSFB's patch, VB (Victoria Bitter) or Flying Kiwi's patch, Speights/Canterbury Draught/DB/Lion Brown.

FIGJAM

I did some recent confined space entry training at an Aussie beer manufacturer and asked them at the end of the session where the camels were that p#@ssed in their bottles before they sold it!

They didn't like me for that...! Not sure why.....
    Luke

Pumper41, I really didn't think the Out Back was authentic because it looks too much like a caricature, but the food is good and the beer is cold.

Lutan1, I bet they liked you a lot, did they ask you back?

FIGJAM

Lutan1, I bet they liked you a lot, did they ask you back?
    They did! Had a very good working relationship with them...
    Luke

Good Man!

Thread Information