Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Harrisburg,PA ????

Can any one tell me about the Expo in Harrisburg, PA? We have been invited to participate and have no idea what to expect.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default harrisburg expo

I have been going to this expo for 5 years now. It is a great show but a very big place. There are a lot of rooms and if you see something you might want to go back and show someone or buy, be sure to note the booth / building name so you can find it. The cost is $7.00 for adults which is very reasonable as compared to other shows I've been to. My department always comes with 6 to 8 members and we go on Friday so to not have to deal with the crowds on the weekend. We come down from CT and get there right at 10:00 when it opens and stay until 3:00 to 4:00. It does get very crowded and you will need to set a time and location to meet when ready to leave. Parking has been free and the lot has been safe to park you car in.

As far as vendors - you will see almost every type of firefighting and ems equipment that is available. Most of the vendors have a large amount of stock and are able to sell you items right at the show ( this is different then some shows when all they have is a demo and you need to order it ). There are also large room with all of the manufacturers of apparatus ( most are pieces that are on loan from departments or are ready to be delivered ).

This is a great show for the money and well worth the trip
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

We sell Fire Service Radio Accessories, Do you think we would do well there ? www.RadioTech.com

Forum Member

Default It's big...

Just for general info, you can goto the Lancaster County Firemens' Association web site www.lcfa.org for info on the Expo.

It has gotten big, LCFA claims over 350 exhibitors and 22,000 attendance last year. This year promises to have at least some elements of mass confusion, however, since the State Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, where Expo is held, just finished a major expansion, and nobody seems to really know what traffic flow will be like (I know some vendors, and there's much scrambling going on to try to figure out where the choice booth spots are now).

As for whether or not you should go as a vendor, Expo used to be the place where department representatives went to get good deals on big stuff...multiple turnouts, valves, tools, hose, etc. In more recent years, the "deals on the big stuff" have slowly been drying up, and the focus is shifting towards smaller purchases by individuals and department reps. Based on your website, this is probably good for you, as you're selling the kinds of smaller items that people go there looking to buy (as opposed to big items, for which they're now more likely to just want demos and conversations with a few salespeople to get info to take back to their companies).

There's no guarantee of success, but it's probably worth a try, especially if you walk in with goods to sell, rather than just to take orders.

Unfortunately, parking is no longer free, and traffic will suck.

As for the actual expo, over the years it has been turned into a Big Johnson T-shirt display. It seems that every year, there are more and more stands selling 1,001 No Fear stickers and stickers of Calvin ****ing on anything you can imagine, and less and less stands with actual equipment, turnouts, etc.

Words of advice - get a map as soon as you walk in the door. There are about 6 different halls, and two of those are sectioned into 2 more (each). As a result, you could spend an entire day there and completely miss an entire area. Get a map and check off where you have been so that you make sure you cover everything.

The apparatus on display at expo is one bright spot which is always good. It's great to get ideas for new things, and ways to improve on the old ones.

Overall, it is a good show. It just seems that I can get through the stuff of any substance more quickly each year.

Stay Safe

Post Same things...

I hear the same things about the expo that Bob & PA mentioned. This year will be my first and I will be 'cheauferring' the senior officers on Friday morning. We're going on Friday to hit the lesser crowds & traffic. I'll look for your booth....good luck!

Bob & PA: Hope to see you guys there....any chance either of you are going on Friday?

Later!!

-Devil
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Default Re: Same things...

Originally posted by FightingDevil
    Bob & PA: Hope to see you guys there....any chance either of you are going on Friday?
    I'm planning on going Friday afternoon. Although, I don't think I want to be seen with anyone who has the New Jersey Devils emblem as their avatar!

Stay Safe

A group from my dept. went last year and we felt that this show was better than others, due to the ability to actually talk to the vendors and get some hands on with equipment we were looking at. We also greatly enjoyed "Wanda's" at the Holiday Inn West!!!!

We are going again this year, come to Wanda's!!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Originally posted by fflynn17
    We are going again this year, come to Wanda's!!!
    It's called "Club One" now. The dance club part of it is over and under 21. The deck (the only good part) is still over 21 only. So, you only have to deal w/ the teeny boppers in the parking lot.

Incidentally, downtown Harrisburg (2nd Street) is the happenin' place to be now. There are a ton of new clubs, bars, and restaurants. If you haven't checked the firehouse restaurant, that is a must.

Stay Safe

Default Now, now....

Originally posted by PAVolunteer

I'm planning on going Friday afternoon. Although, I don't think I want to be seen with anyone who has the New Jersey Devils emblem as their avatar!

Stay Safe
    Hardy har har.....I'm easy to spot, I'm the only green Mountaineer with a Devils front license plate in the metro area!!! I get nothing but trouble from the house for my hockey 'affiliation'. I have to keep telling them...I'm not from PA originally!!!

It would be an honor to meet you, even though we are warring factions!!!
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

I'm probably the only New Yorker with a RED WINGS sticker on my window
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Well........

I will be conspicuous by my absence, as usual. I will, however, be spending a week in Ocean City Md. (June 14-21) at the annual Convention/Conference of the Maryland State Firemen's Association. The major difference here is the Seminars are credited for continuing ed by MFRI, and the parking, exhibit halls with vendors and apparatus display, seminars, etc. are all FREE. I don't want to get the WT fired up about commercial messages, so I won't say to find out more (prospective visitors and vendors alike) go to www.MSFA.org, I will also avoid saying that the vendors all sell "over the counter" with plenty of items in stock. And, I will not say anything about the 3B's of life at the ocean, Beer, Beach, and Bikinis. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

A bunch of guys from my FD will be there Friday, Saturday and probably leave sunday. If anyone sees Lewiston 2 t-shirts tell them you know me. I cant make it as my siser is graduating college with her masters degree that saturday. Not a good idea to miss that. Hopefully I will be able to go next year.

I will let them know about the hot spots to hit.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Like some others said, it seems to be going down hill over the last few years. If you like t-shirts and galls style trinkets, its nirvana. They still have some pretty cutting edge displays, you just have to wade through the crowds to find them. I'll be there unmarked on friday (I'll probably be the only guy in the place NOT in a company shirt. Ask everyone not in the company shirt if they are quint1driver!). Some of our guys say the crowd is lighter on the weekends. I like friday, its a day off work, and I can enjoy it more.

Forum Member

Default Re: Same things...

Originally posted by FightingDevil

If all goes as planned, I'll be there first thing Friday morning. I want to comb through the demos, scraps and unclaimed freight, mostly for a cheap pair of bunker pants. If there's anything there that would fit, it'll be gone by Friday afternoon (I'm not desperate enough to buy new...yet).

See y'all!!

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Same things...

Originally posted by bobsnyder

If all goes as planned, I'll be there first thing Friday morning. I want to comb through the demos, scraps and unclaimed freight, mostly for a cheap pair of bunker pants. If there's anything there that would fit, it'll be gone by Friday afternoon (I'm not desperate enough to buy new...yet).

See y'all!!

Mornign Pride should be there again this year like last at the Reading Fire Equip stand with the Closeout Gear for sale. First come first serve If you can find stuff that fits. I am not working there this year as I am taking a class up the road at HACC. My chief cam up with a good idea for the expo put at the T-Shirt Vendors an Clavin ****ing sticker stands in one place and call it the WACKER HALL so he can skip it.

http://www.readingfireequipment.com/

Thanks for all the info sounds like a great time! Chief Wood any other info about Maryland June 14 -21? I could not find any through that link. Any contact info or link would be appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Janice

Hey fighting devil ... as with quint1driver, I'll be one of the guys not wearing anything fire department related (not that there's anything wrong w/ wearing FD related items, I just choose not to). So, you can ask one of the two guys you see w/out FD stuff on who they are. Chances are, one will be quint1driver, and the other will be me.

Maybe we'll run into each other ... Stay Safe.

Post Make that 3...

I only own a limited number of company shirts that are wearable in public (ie actually in one piece and not dirty from station work!). I guess we'll be able to pick each other out real easy.....I'll probably be wearing a La Salle University polo-- my standard shirt! And that's because whenever my wife or I are on campus, we feel the need to replace one of my older shirts...and never get rid of the old one!

So, if you see a guy with a La Salle polo carrying a new Ben-2 or Conway Classic helmet (in a box, I hope) walking around with a bunch of guys with Station 84 shirts...that's me!! See ya there!!

Later!

-Devil

IACOJ

Forum Member

Our explorer's are going to an explorer aimed conference sometime in July up there.

Thread Information