Thread: New toys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New toys.

What are some of new items in your inventory, anyone? My teams got an infrared spectrometer(mini chemical lab). Gives the chemical composition of a substance and the percentage of those compounds. I am going to need several hours to figuring out that little box. It can compare the spectrograph of 100,000s of compounds in downloadable databases for CDC, DOJ, etc. A new APD2000. A mass decon trailer with 2 large tents with heated water and air, M256 kits, A8 and A9 paper(hoping I don't die from cancer using them), 1 hour Scotts bottles and some First Responder Plus level As. Anyone want to donate a hazmat truck similar to Indianapolis or Chicago? Would be nice to sit in air conditioning and watch TV while at a scene waiting. Oh well, just wishful thinking.

MembersZone Subscriber

whats new for us, waiting for
    november for the delivery of
    a new heavy duty pierce rescue
    to replace 1985 truck. also
    workign on trying to get funds
    from industry in area for
    a spectrometer like you
    described. looks the funds
    will be in place by the end
    of the year (hopefully)

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry some sort of gas meter on our engine that was given to the department by the military. Though I'm not entirely sure what it does or how we got it in the first place, I'm told it's a unique piece of equipment for an FD to have. I'll have to get a closer look at it next time I'm at the station

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Has anyone visited http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov for the ToxFAQs and MRLs? I am requesting a couple CDs. They have some interesting lists and databases. I don't often see much on long term treatment of exposures in many resources. Does anyone know of other FREE resources on CD beside Cameo, Landview, Chris manual on CD and NIST modeling software?

MembersZone Subscriber

Off the top of my head.

Mini Rae PID
    Mark I kits
    Larger suit inventory
    APD 2000
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know of other FREE resources on CD beside Cameo, Landview, Chris manual on CD and NIST modeling software?
    I believe that ERG and NIOSH books are available on CD for free
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

recent purchases:

55-gallon drum tipping lever (one person)
    55-gallon drum drum lifter (two person)
    an all 60 pc. pine wood plug and wedge kit
    some bonding and grounding hardware
    APD 2000, M8 and M9 paper
    plug and patch kit, paid over five hundred bucks
    and I thought I'd try one of these pop-up containment pools

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw a M295 kit for the first time. All I know it is for decon. Does anyone know more about it?
    Last edited by SCSESATech; 06-17-2003 at 12:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got a APD 2000(is it just me or did everyone get one?)We also
    got a laser infared thermometer. Some more suits, couple more airpacks. Satellite telephone(live in the sticks) for the computer and fax machine. John Deere Gator for equipment carrying. 2 fold up mass decon tents. A almost firefighter proof/waterproof laptop that has Cameo and a ton of other programs. 2 Cameras(like a security camera) one that can mount on a tripod or on the Command truck on a mast. The other is a handheld that transmits back to the comm truck it has a 1-1/2 mile range. We have so many new toys I can't remember all of them.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow that is a lot of stuff. Where in Ohio is your department. I was passing threw Toledo and didn't have the chance to stop in on them. What other software do you have?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SCSESATech
    I saw a M295 kit for the first time. All I know it is for decon. Does anyone know more about it?
    The M295 isn't just for decon. It's use to observ if there are nerve agents or blister agents in the air. The downside to this is that it takes about 15 minutes to complete.
    So it's best to use this device immediatly cause after the first few steps, it takes 10 minutes to "monitor" the air. This allows you to do other things in the interim. This kit is very sensitive to these agents. I was lucky enough to use it in anniston at the live agent center. One of the drawbacks on it, is that the ampules that one needs to crush aren't the easiest to do when in a Level A.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the drawbacks on it, is that the ampules that one needs to crush aren't the easiest to do when in a Level A.

Another drawback: Ever try reading the insructions on the foil package? Could they be written any smaller?

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Madison Twp Fire. in Mansfield. We handle all HAZMAT for our county and 2 surrounding. We have been doing it since '79. My brother is a FF in Toledo. Yeah we have lots of toys....now we need a new truck to put it all in

IAFF Local 3900

MembersZone Subscriber

That sounds just like the M256 kit. What is the difference in the M295 kit and the M256 kit?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Duffman

Another drawback: Ever try reading the insructions on the foil package? Could they be written any smaller?
    Oh yeah, those directions stink. if radio communications aren't available, meaning give the instruction via radio, maybe type them out in large print, laminate it and use that. Then just put it with the haz mat waste when done...

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, I think when I saw teh m295, my brain was thinging m256.. The 295 is used for decon

MembersZone Subscriber

me too, I was talking about the M256

IACOJ

The M256 is a chemical agent detector kit.

http://www.sbccom.apgea.army.mil/products/m256a1.htm

The M295 is a decon kit.

http://www.sbccom.apgea.army.mil/products/smoke.htm

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

We also have COBRA on it and the ERG and some others unsure of what they are. I haven't got to play with it yet the tech person doesn't have it fully loaded.

IAFF Local 3900

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Duffman
    [B

Another drawback: Ever try reading the insructions on the foil package? Could they be written any smaller? [/B]

we blew the directions up and laminated them, makes it easier then the foilpack directions

MembersZone Subscriber

We did the same, and put a hole in the corner and attatched a clip so you can keep it on your SCBA inside the suit.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, that makes me feel better going into an incident. Using the proper kit for decon and detection.

We used the m256 in my NJ WMD Technician class this weekend. The instructors provided us with a laminated instruction sheet, and it was absolutely neccessary. Also, we considered having someone in the resource area reading the instructions on the radio.

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't understand why they always print the instructions in tiny letters. With the price of some equipment you think they give you something readable in adverse conditions.

Has anyone tried importing topological maps into landview/Marplot to view land contours overlap with a dispersion model? I am trying to get this to work. If it works, I can see how a substance will travel along the terrain is ways Aloha can't predict alone.

Dover got some thermal imaging cameras, and lee just got a brand new rescue truck... weeeeee
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Thread Information