MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gallet Fire Helmets

Considering the feelings running right now about French products, this may not be the most popular subject. Have many of you had any experience with the Gallet style fire helmet. I used the standard back duck bill helmet for past 20 years ( Cairns, Bullard etc.) but in my posting over here in Middle East, I was issued a French Gallet with gold plate visor. I am running a fire training center here so am geared up a lot. I have never worn anything so comfortable or handy. The gold plate visor makes a tremendous difference in heat exposure to your face, it has clips to fasten BA mask to for wearing, and an integral set of safety glasses beneath the visor. Before anyone gets too upset about French product ( George are you there?)Gallet is owned by MSA which I think is US company. Any feedback from anyone on this? Take care and work safe and may the big fire chief in the sky bless you all.
    Bryan

Permanently Removed

Default info...

Dude...are you talking about those helmets that look
    like jet fighter pilots helmets? If so, we just talked
    about those and not many cared for them.

Secondly, and being from France, not the best climate
    to be selling those as well. They do NOT offer and rear
    protection in the form of a brim to shield away hot
    water and debris. AND NO, THOSE LEATHER CURTAINS
    HANGING OFF THE BACK DO NOT COUNT.

Lastly, I wear a Cairns F/T and a Phenix First
    Due P/T. The Phenix are great. Check them out
    at www.phenixfirehelmets.com They got leather
    too, but I aint down with those...Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-04-2003 at 02:02 PM.

Concerning Gallet helmets, they do offer rear protection since there is a shield that protects the back. Having tried one on, you feel much more protected than with a normal helmet.

Secondly, they don't have a tendancy to come off if you fall down. Thus they can help to avoid head injuries.

Finally, they offer integrated radio systems and have the advantage that the SCBA face piece clips on and doesn't require the ff to take his helmet off when he wants to use his SCBA.

If anyone doesn't know what a Gallet is or looks like, here are some pictures, from a website in Québec City, Canada. They have used Gallets for the last 15 or so years.

http://www.spiq.ca/laporte1.html
    http://www.spiq.ca/laporte2.html

Protective Economist

Originally posted by mattqc
    Secondly, they don't have a tendancy to come off if you fall down. Thus they can help to avoid head injuries.

Finally, they offer integrated radio systems and have the advantage that the SCBA face piece clips on and doesn't require the ff to take his helmet off when he wants to use his SCBA.
    1. If you secure the chin strap, how does a helmet fall off?

2. If you clip the facepiece onto the helmet, how do you ensure a good, complete seal with the facepiece? Does moving the helmet cause the facepiece to move as well?

MembersZone Subscriber

Concerning the Gallet helmets... all Gallet Helmets with the exception of the Fireknight are not NFPA or OSHA compliant. This includes the F1SA, F1S, F1E and the F2. The Fireknight is their American version of their original product.

I have tested these in live fire in the US as well the United Kingdom. Here are my views...
    Pros:
    1. lightweight construction
    2. eye shield(s) is enclosed (protected)

Cons:
    1. eye shield tends to warp in high heat conditions (this means you have to tear the helmet down to remove the enclosed shield)
    2. no STANDARD neck protection worth speaking of (This includes the leather curtain and the flap extension)
    3. airmask brackets are thing that is left to be desired
    4. You look like Kazoo wearing the thing.

There are a few others out there that are the same type. One is made by Pacific Helmets and is called the F7. It is made of kevlar and is VERY strong. I liked this one better than the Fireknight and it IS NFPA and OSHA approved.

This jet pilot helmet is very European and is not really popular among our fellows. Alot of British FF's do not like them either.

You will find the diehards who love them and will buy them just for spite. HOWEVER REMEMBER ONE THING!!! Buy one that you can use... if you are hurt wearing illeagal gear, I think workmans comp would tend to frown on a payout.

I have owned all the of the helmets described above and I own many helmets in my collection. There are only two that I will take into battle. Not at the same time of course!

The first is my Cairns New Yorker... have always owned one and will always own one. The second is my Phenix. Thanks to CALFFBOU for the heads up... great piece of hardware!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Unhappy The F7

I have to now wear the F7 as spoke about

Problems.....makes yer head ache after a while and difficult to hear others around yer sometimes............

But......my head is protected and at the end of the day...I ain't in no fashion show...........

Does the job.....

Sub16green
    Go In Together - Stay Together -Come Out Together.

Forum Member

They look kind of cool.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would quit the fire service before being caught dead in one of those contraptions.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Permanently Removed

Default Thanks...

The first is my Cairns New Yorker... have always owned one and will always own one. The second is my Phenix. Thanks to CALFFBOU for the heads up... great piece of hardware! [/B]
    Glad you like the Phenix bro. One you work a long
    job with one on, doubt you will give it up. I love
    wearing mine at the part-time gig. More of the
    Firefighters want to get them...Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-07-2003 at 12:16 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Jeeesh..........

They have to speak American english and drive on the right side of the road before I can even acknowledge their existance. You can have my Carins 1010 after you pry it from my cold dead fingers....... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Sadly... English is one of the more used "foreign" languages in France. They also drive on the right side of the road.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up Pacific F7

I have had a Pacific F7 for 4 years and absolutly have no complints with it, it alot lighter, and feel more protected on the sides and neck, and best of all better range of motion for your head and neck when 'packed up'(SCBA).

Thread Information