Sr. Information Officer

Angry Firefighter injured by "Jack*****" Teen

Normally, I could care less about the stupid stunts some of these kids pull....and wind up injuring themselves. However...when they start injuring "brothers" in the act....THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE! What responsibility should the producers assume....for injuries sustained as a direct result of teens attempting to emulate stunts seen on this show? Keep in mind....this is not an isolated incident. There have been previous accounts of stupid stunts resulting in burns, bruises, broken bones.....

Who is responsible? MTV? The kids? The parents?

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - An Oneonta firefighter was seriously
    injured while trying to restrain a bat-wielding teenager trying to
    film a prank for television, police said Monday.
    Officers said the 17-year-old boy told police he was trying to
    make a videotape of a prank to send to the MTV stunt television
    show "Jackass."
    Firefighter/paramedic Travis Brown, 31, was listed in fair
    condition Monday in the neurointensive care unit at University
    Hospital in Birmingham, a hospital spokesman said.
    Early Sunday morning, firefighters and police saw a young man
    lying in the street in downtown Oneonta with an aluminum baseball
    bat in one hand and a video camera in the other, police said.
    As the youth approached a police officer, Brown came up from
    behind and tried to restrain him, Fire Chief Charles Montgomery
    said. The two fell during the struggle and Brown struck his head on
    the pavement, he said.
    The teenager was released into his parents' custody pending
    charges, said Oneonta Police Chief James Chapman, who refused to
    identify the youth because of his age.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This just serves to remind us,

Always fall ON TOP of the kid, let him take the pain.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

This all goes back to training.

IN FF1, you learn that there is a quicker swing speed with a Mag lite than a baseball bat. You are given the tools to do the job...use them.

Forum Member

wash him off the road with the deck gun dont you know anything

now that would get him on jackass
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Forum Member

Cops have guns. Shoot him. One less idiot in the world.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

The worse part is that this kid will not even get more then a slap on the wrist for this.

Forum Member

Just curious about something. If there were police on scene, why would a medic try to restrain an armed individual? whether it is a gun, a knife, or a bat, he was armed and the cops should have restrained/dis-armed him before the medic moved in. Just a thought.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a good point, last I checked there is nothing in the traning that a Fire Fighter recives covering how to handle an armed teenager.

What were the cops doing while this was happening??

Forum Member

Something that is continually drilled into us is "SCENE SAFETY, SCENE SAFETY, SCENE SAFETY!!!!!" If the situation is not safe we have no business being there...the police are the ones trained for these situations, and they are the ones that should be handling them. This firefighter was doing something that he should not have been doing in the first place, and he got hurt doing it. It is a shame...

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys, don't be so hard on the PD. The story doesn't really give a detailed description of the incident and many towns in Alabama have very few officers on a patrol shift. It is entirely possible he felt he needed to act to aid the officer(s).

Airborne, down here a 17 year old has a pretty good chance of getting certified to stand trial as an adult so he may get more than a slap on the wrist.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a good point, last I checked there is nothing in the traning that a Fire Fighter recives covering how to handle an armed teenager.
    Dude, it was a joke. Ya know? "Administer 50cc's of Maglite".

We don't really know squat about this incident other than a short article. BTW, the only person to blame is the 17YOA kid.

Forum Member

Having two children devoted to this show, own the movie on dvd and have been known to chuckle or cringe or cry "That just aint right!!!!" at appropriate times, I can attest to the fact that prior to every single show an explicit message is flashed warning viewers that the show will not under any circumstances view any video tapes that are sent in of idiots.......errrrrrr I mean viewers attempting similar stunts.

Goes back to the old adage that people have to take responsibility for their own stupidity....errrrrrrr I mean actions and stop blaming others.

District Chief

My question would be....why do we want training in dealing with armed teenagers???? How hard is that... Stay back and let the guys that carry all those clips of ammo on their belts handle it. When he is armed it is a police problem...when he is "disarmed" it becomes our problem.....

The3 real point to this story is .......always be on guard...you never know what you will walk in to....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK folks. I was joking about the training. I was comically contrasting the effect of a maglite and a baseball bat.

The FD does not deal with armed subjects. That is a PD function. In this particular incident, we know little of really happened based a short newspaper article.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Give me a break

Who is responsible? MTV? The kids? The parents?
    The mere suggestion that MTV is to blame is ridiculous. When are we going to stop blaming television for these idiots. It was the kid's fault and that is that. I am so sick and tired of people using their television as a babysitter crying about what their kid watches in the process. Once the kid reaches 17 though, except in the most extreme cases of bad (or lack of) parenting, he should know right from wrong.

How about knowing what your kid watches. I could tell you EVERYTHING my son watched yesterday. When he becomes a teenager, maybe that won't be feasible. I assure you however, he will have a firm grasp on reality, and will understand that imitating Jackass, especially where civil disobedience is involved, will not be tolerated.

HELLO PARENT OF THE WORLD! TV IS NOT TO BLAME.

Oh, and by the way. I hope the brother makes a full recovery. He should let the police handle these situations in the future.

I don't see the phrase "criminal apprehension" anywhere in my job description.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

no but corwd control with hoselines used to be training
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Give me a break

Originally posted by Duffman

The mere suggestion that MTV is to blame is ridiculous. When are we going to stop blaming television for these idiots. It was the kid's fault and that is that. I am so sick and tired of people using their television as a babysitter crying about what their kid watches in the process. Once the kid reaches 17 though, except in the most extreme cases of bad (or lack of) parenting, he should know right from wrong.

I totally agree with Duffman, thousands of kids watch these shows and yet have the intelligence not to try the stunts. Blaming tv is as bad as blaming music for violence. I would hope that the human WILLPOWER is strong enough to not listen to a song or tv.
    Ceredo Fire-Rescue
    NREMT-Basic,Firefighter,Hazmat- Tech,Smoke Diver

"Live Long, Die Fast, have as much fun possible in between."

These are my opinions, not my departments.

I also agree with Duffman. However, some teens that never had a good upbringing are sometimes so unstable that they are influenced very easily, whether it be by movies or the evening news.

MembersZone Subscriber

And IMHO these are the parents that are destroying our society by placing a burden and a danger to the rest of us by there lack of parenting skills.

Forum Member

hey i was brought up with disipline in one hand and a belt in the other
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Airborne
    And IMHO these are the parents that are destroying our society by placing a burden and a danger to the rest of us by there lack of parenting skills.
    WOW, is that ever a narrow view.

There are millions of single parents who have to work for a living to raise their kids, and the inevitable result is often latchkey kids who are raised more by TV and their friends than their parents. These people aren't intentionally neglecting their kids, but rather doing their best to make ends meet. And all kids get in trouble, you did and I did, and don't try to deny it. Some of us just didn't get caught or were lucky enough not to hurt anybody.

If you really want to reduce this stuff, try volunteering at a local youth program, or being a big brother, etc. It is a documented fact, that busy and well socialized kids get in less trouble.

Sure there are bad parents out there, but don't blame every troubled kid on poor parenting. It takes a community to raise a child.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what, and this is not aimed at you but I'm going to take my gloves off on this subject and you can be ****ed if you want.

First off I realize that there are some situations that a person can do nothing about the lost of another parent, Divorce these things can not be controled, and these are not the people that I'm talking about, but these people also make up a very small percentage.

What we have in our great society is a cancer. This cancer are the people that are bringing about a burden and a situation that they can not handle that the rest of society is forced to take care of. Yes helping out would be great but you know what, I have nither the time nor the desire to do this. Besides working 60 Hours a week and being a POC FF, I'm also in the National Guard, I play on a hockey league, and I'm in charge of a 24 Team Bowling League 9 Monthes out of the Year.

There is a reason that I'm able to do all of these things, because my wife and my self have decided that we are not ready to have kids. Because when I was Young Fum and full of cum I did not just deposit where ever I felt the need. In other words I have made a choice not to have Kids, not with my wife or anyone else. It is not a hard thing to do if one uses there head.

Because it is more important to our goverment to give moeny away to these people and the hundreds of other burdens on out society, I will be lossing my job. I'm willing to work, I work hard, and I'm well educated in my field. But in the end it does not matter they do not have money to give me a paycheck, while 2 doors down, people who would rather not work will continue to be able to pick up there checks and I will be forced to find another Job.

Call me a cold harted bastered if you want I don't care. I know all about being down on your luck, I have no issues with people using the system to get back on there feet, these are not the people that I'm talking about, I'm talking about the Bastards out there sticking there tool in anything that moves and then not taking responsibility for it, and the girls that are letting it happen to them.

We have had thi8s discussion here before and like before this is not aimed at anyone that is workin hard and doing what they have to do to survive, It is aimed at all the dead weight that this society is forced to carry around. What would I do with it I have no idea, But I sure would make sure that the people that are willing to work hard have jobs before I start handing out money to the people that are not willing to work.

When I got out of the military, I had not skills that where marketable, so I went to school, and I payed for it by working 40 hours a week, and living in a dumb of a trailer, it's called sacrafice, and not letting pride get in the way of things. It's called taking care of Number 1 your self, and making sure that you take care of what ever it is that you are responsible for.

There I let it all out have at it.

Forum Member

This kid is a jack*****.

Originally posted by mcaldwell

Sure there are bad parents out there, but don't blame every troubled kid on poor parenting. It takes a community to raise a child.
    Since when does it take a community to raise a child? I remember when all it took were dedicated and loving parents who were willing to accept the responsibilty of raising the child that they created. The village didn't make the child, and the parents shouldn't expect the village to raise the child.

Thread Information