Forum Member

Question Wireless Internet connection

Does any one have a suggestion as to what or how I can get wireless Internet connection for the computer in our hazardous materials team command trailer? We have a lap top and a desk top computer (donated). I am on a very limited budget and the cellular phone coverage in my county can be irratic on occasions. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

IACOJ Agitator

Are you looking to use the wireless internet connection everywhere the trailer goes?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

It is my hope that if I can find something that will pass the budget review process next year, that we will be able to have at least wireless fax capability through out our county. That way we will at least be able to receive faxes from CHEMTREC or manufacturers at the scene of a haz mat incident.

MembersZone Subscriber

First you have to find out if there is a wireless internet connection available in your county(unless you are in a big city the answer is probably no) Other options include satelite connectivity but two way satelite requires a dish with a specific angle(azmuith no idea how to spell that) and is still very expensive but the fed/state may have something we could use on occasion (good luck) Your third option would be the same system used by many fire and police departments for there in truck dispatch . You may not be able to get access to the WWW but you would be able to access text data from your dispatchers computer on your MDT. The simplest thing would be to install laptops and update the Chemtrek data quarterly or whenever they update there database.

Bout all the ideas I have for the moment. I would be interested to hear what you finally end up with.

Forum Member

If you have a wireless ISP, just go talk to them. It's a snap to set up. If you don't, find a local ISP that's willing to work with you and set up a system with them from an outfit like http://www.hyperlinktech.com/
    www.gvfd.org

You can meet the budget...
    You can meet the universal coverage...

Budget & Universal Coverage? Maybe...

www.direcway.com -- not sure on their business/gov't prices, their consumer prices are $600 to start/$60/month or $100 to start/$100/month. If you have a southern view, you have broadband. I'm not sure if the startup cost is just a fixed dish, or if you have to pay more to get the mobile-home version http://www.motosat.com/twoway_001.htm that stows and then sets up & aligns itself.

Wireless LANs are easy to setup -- but only cover a few hundred meters in every direction. Most schemes to provide coverage to downtown and airports and other population centers rely on a series of these close enough together to provide continous coverage.

Point-to-Point Wireless WANs like Scott's stuff are great for connecting fixed sites, but they're tough for emergency mobile use since you need exact alignments and you need line of sight or relay locations.

(BTW, the Direcway system my best friend used to have while his company resold it. He was a computer geek...if someone took out the utility pole feeding his neighborhood, he had enough battery backup in his house to keep the satellite and computers all up and running while he went and started the generator and throw the transfer switch...no interruption in downloads!)

Forum Member

The owner of our local wireless company has an onmi-driectional antenna (of some sort) in his POV that he uses for mobile wireless. Works all over town for him.
    www.gvfd.org

Lightbulb Re: Wireless Internet connection

Originally posted by mdcook
    Does any one have a suggestion as to what or how I can get wireless Internet connection for the computer in our hazardous materials team command trailer? We have a lap top and a desk top computer (donated). I am on a very limited budget and the cellular phone coverage in my county can be irratic on occasions. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    I recommend using a GPRS modem. Most modern cellphones support GPRS and you can purchase GPRS only modems (data only, not voice).

Note, GPRS is -not- the 9600baud or similar data over voice. GPRS is packet radio at much higher bit rates. Typical bitrates are from 40Kbps to 176Kbps.

Providers typically charge by the amount of data you transfer. GPRS is an always-on technology. Verizon, Cingular, AT&T are just a few that support this. Look for a local reseller or agent in your area.

I've seen charges ranging from $10 per megabyte of data to $80/month for "unlimited" data rates.

This is the method that I'm proposing to our region's departments.

-david

Thread Information