Thread: fire science

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default fire science

does anyone know of any college that offers fire science? if so could you also please post the website.thanx

MembersZone Subscriber

www.umuc.edu

As it happens I am starting in a few weeks. They offer the BS online in Fire Science which makes it a bit easier for me since I am in San Francisco. Let me know if you have any questions as I have looked at a few and University of Maryland came out the winner.

Cheffie

District Chief

What state are you in?

There are lots of colleges across the nation that offer the program.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Lightbulb Fire Science Education

What state are you in?? I am in michigan and only need about 10 credits for my associates in fire science. I did alot of research about this subject to finish my degree. You really want to try to stay within your own state, because if you go out of state the costs are extremely expensive. I am estimating (don't have the exact figures in front of me) but out of state tuition was in the neighborhood of close to 2,500 or 3,000 dollars for 6 credit hours. And when I was in state the charges were around 500 to 750 dollars for 6 credit hours. So you might want to do some research before you agree with any college. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to let me know...

Temporarily/No Longer Active

hey cheffie i checked out the one at maryland and i heard that is a very excellant choice but i want to keep the options open.captstan i live in NJ, but it doesnt matter where the school is just so i can keep options open.

Permanently Removed

Hey G, University of New Haven, thats up here in CT, check it out, idk there web site off hand

MembersZone Subscriber

EOne; Here's some advice.

I don't know what your situation is. If you are planning to do this via a distance learning program, UMUC is the way to go. I have my degree from there. Very user friendly.

If you are going away, Univ. New Haven is an excellent choice. They have many different tracks instead of just a generic Fire Science degree.

If you want to make gobs of money with your degree, go to Univ. of Maryland and major in Fire Protection Engineering. Engineers are in far greater demand than FF with degrees. Also, UM has several programs where you can live at a fire station and recieve free room and board in exchange for riding two to three tours a week. Not a bad deal.

But one thing...GET THE DEGREE! Don't quit and go back. It's harder to do that than anything. Good luck

District Chief

George is right... I started and quit and now I am at a point in my life where I am not "qualified" to be anything more than a firefighter, even taking into account that I have 32 years in this business. Even though I need to do it...I do not have the time to get back into it.

Start it and follow through..... Advice from someone who has been there.

And yes...University of Maryland is a top notch program.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you live in Jersey and Near enough to NY Try John Jay College.

A great program at the right price!

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/programsund...jofirescie.asp
    Last edited by E229Lt; 05-07-2003 at 06:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

E229 is right. I forgot about John Jay. Easy commute via mass transit from Jersey too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default UNH

University of New Haven in CT..
    http://www.newhaven.edu

http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/firescience.html

4yr undergrade programs:
    Fire Science
    -- Fire/Arson Investigation
    -- Fire Administration
    -- Fire Science Technology
    -- Fire Protection Engineering

-The Dog
    -Egg

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Eastern Kentucky University in Ricmond KY. Supposed to be one of the top fire science schools in the country (I was told that it ranks # 1) and it is not as expensive as UNH. Offers B.S. degrees.
    www.eku.edu
    www.fireandsafety.eku.edu

Forum Member

Default Eastern Kentucky University

I am a sophomore in Eastern Kentucky University's Fire and Safety Engineering Technology Program. The program is great and you learn a LOT. There are several options you can choose to specialize in:
    Fire Protection Engineering, Fire Administration, Fire, Arson and Explosion Investigation, Industrial Safety and Risk Management, orOccupational Safety and Health Technology.
    The website is www.fireandsafety.eku.edu
    Two great people to contact are
    Ron Hopkins Ron.Hopkins@eku.edu He is a guru and a professor
    Larry Collins Larry.Collins@eku.edu He is the dean of the college of justice and safety here.
    I would highly reccomend this program.

By the way, if you are an EMS type, there is also an Emergency Medical Care program that I am told offers the only bachelor's in Emergeny Medical Care in the nation, but I know it will get you your EMT-B and Paramedic.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Lightbulb UNH

I earned my Fire Science Degrees (BS Arson Inv. and BS in Fire Science Admin.) at the University of New Haven....It's come a long way in the years since I graduated (and that was only 1997). Where else can you do 15 credits of internships in Washington DC? I got to intern at the Congressional Fire Services Institute for the summer of 96 and then the spring of 97 and lived at the CPFD, Truck 12 across from UMD. It's all about what kind of educational experience you want. Do you want the big school or the small school? Do you want the option to live off campus at a firehouse or off campus housing? You can go locally to a community college first and then transfer. I earned an AAS in Criminal Justice and then transferred the max of 60 credits to UNH and was able to concentrate on mostly fire science courses.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information