Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default NREMT exam questions

Why is it that I have such a hard time understanding what the NREMT(National Registry-EMT's) exam is trying to ask. I always either read to much into them or not enough. Does anyone have any advice?
    It is what it is.

What helped me on the Registry and for other tests I take, is that I look at who takes the test other than me.

As for the Registry, it is everyone from the Big City EMT running 20+ calls per shift and serving the population of one million plus, to the po-dunk county EMT (not that that makes them bad people! ) that may run 1 call a month and serves a population of 10 people.

Read the question once and go with your gut. If the answer doesn't jump out at you, skip it and come back. Remember that you skipped one though, it really stinks to come to answer question 200 and your bubble sheet says you are on question 195.

Good luck!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Talking thanks :)

thanks for your advice!
    It is what it is.

Get the study materials (booklet and CD-ROM) off their website. It has some very helpful stuff. Also, look online for nremt practise tests. They help a great deal as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

What I usually did was just go with my first answer, it seemed like I got more mixed up if I was second guessing and reading to deeply into the question.

You've already got the best advise there is, but I'll repeat it anyway.

Practice Tests
    Take as many as you can get your hands on (w/in your book buying budget) - Pool your $$ w/ some class mates and split the cost of test books.

IMHO - the best test book to get is the one that NREMT put's out. The questions come directly from the same database as the real test - what could be better ?

Gut Instinct
    Your first reaction is most often the correct one. NEVER change an answer unless you are 100% sure you now know the correct answer.

Also try to keep in mind the questions you're not sure of as you test. Another question farther down my either jog your memory or even give you the correct answer (not likely but it happens from time to time)

Test Taking "Tricks"
    Next - NEVER and I mean NEVER read anything into the test question. If it ain't there - it ain't there period. That is the biggest tripping point on NREMT exams. There is one "most correct" answer, but the other answer(s) will make you think "well, if it had / said / did this then" . . .

That should send up a big red wrong answer flag every time.

Also remember that a question may have more than one "right" answer, they are looking for the "most correct" answer.

i.e. - you find a 20 y.o. male lying on the floor of a local warehouse. Lying around him are several broken shipping containers. He appears unresponsive and is obviously bleeding profusely from a gash on his upper left leg. Your first action would be to . . .

A) Establish unresponsiveness
    B) Control the major bleeding
    C) Establish Scene Safety
    D) Ensure BSI precautions
    E) Establish C-Spine control

O.K. so this one isn't quite as tricky as NR, but Hopefully this illustrates my point. The "most correct" answer would be C (then D, E, A, and B in that order).

Good luck on your next test.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Airway and O2 is essentially the correct answer to all the questions, but know the book on OBGYN

MembersZone Subscriber

Just took the NREMT-P test in January. Remember your ABCs. Basics come first.
    Eric Minnich, Captain / NREMT-P
    Neffs Volunteer Fire Co.
    Neffs, Pennsylvania

"Leather Forever"

Forum Member

Took the Basic test monday with a fever and a nose that wouldn't quit running. Now I wait.

When in doubt, Scene Safety, BSI, Airway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EMT/Paramedic questions

At www.fireprep.com you will find sample questions for those of you taking the national registry paramedic exam. We will be adding additional questions every 2-3 weeks. Within the next 2-3 weeks we will be adding a new section for the national registry EMT exam. Good luck to all and never give up. It's the greatest job in the world!!!

Are you interested in obtaining the competitive edge required to be successful in your goal of becoming a firefighter or being promoted to an officer's position within your department? Since 1950, Don McNea Fire School's seminars, entry-level and promotional products have prepared over 40,000 applicants in their pursuit of becoming a firefighter or an officer. Fireprep.com's entry-level newsletter is about YOU BEING THE BEST Ė THE BEST PREPARED AND BEST INFORMED! This periodic newsletter will concentrate on the complete firefighter and officer examination testing process. Go to www.fireprep.com and sign-up today. GOOD LUCK!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

when i took the exam, i used the scrap paper to cover up the answers before i looked at them. just read the question, remember your basics, answer the question, and uncover the answers. if you know your stuff, 9 times out of 10 the answer or a variation of it will be there... the method kind of refers to not changing your answers. i ended up passing the first time, maybe it will help you. Good Luck!

-Mike

Thread Information