Forum Member

Question Hazmat-Rope rescue

A worker is found unconscious inside a low pressure liquid rail car(DOT-111A100W1). Identification of the residue in the tank indicates the use of level-a protection is necessary. How do you lower your rescuer into the car? Will the harness damage the integrity of the suit? Will the harness stand up to the exposure?
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

MembersZone Subscriber

You have got me!!! Thats a good question I'll have to pose that one to the HAZMAT Chief.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

The product would have to be identified to have any ideas about how it would affect the harness and your entry/recovery system, whether it be rope or a man-rated cable winch.You referred to the tank having residue in it - that implies a relatively low level of product, so with care to avoid splashing, you may avoid getting the product on the harness. That brings up the question of any affects the vapors would have on the harness, rope, etc. You don't mention the level of protection the worker is wearing or how the worker came to be inside the tank - it seems to me that there is a good chance that this either is already or will soon become a recovery operation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good point Rempty.

I would assume monitoring would be done via the entrance to the tank. This would begin right away. If monitoring detects, say an oxygen deficient atmosphere, you have a recovery on your hands. If the person is on supplied air, you may have a rescue.

The do manufacture rescue rope that has a thread in the sheath that changes color when subjected to chemical exposure. Not sure about the harness though.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

FIGJAM

Instant reactions with chemicals are rare, so having a harness or rope fail immediately is not an issue.

Prolonged exposure is another issue- my answer is to wear the harness, use the rope, do the rescue, etc. then throw it all away.
    Luke

FIGJAM

Further to my last, use a wire recovery winch such as those made bu Unique Concepts (UCL) found here...

I've used these a fair bit in Australia and they are excellant. A lot easier to clean and decontaminate than any rope system.
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

I would use a harness made of webbing. If the webbing material is compatibility with the chemical. Because if a totally encapsulated suit is in use, you need specific chest harness that would fit over a SCBA( straps which are diagonal along the shoulders). There are some on the market. I don't like how they fit me while during Technical Rescue work. I prefer using the chest harness which fits under the SCBA( straps which run horizontal across the chest and back). Webbing will get you down and up quick enough.

Thread Information