Thread: Nfpa........

Forum Member

Default Nfpa........

Wondering if someone could give me a site and referance to which specific guideline defines the physical requirements for a fire fighter. Just working on a report to the boss. Thanks
    Last edited by hageremtp; 05-07-2003 at 08:19 PM.
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

District Chief

You are going to have to the website for the NFPA and "purchase" the NFPA 1001 Standard. Unless you can find someone who has a set of standards and will allow you to copy it. That would be my suggestion. Some large department in your area should have a set.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can probably find it in NFPA 1500 but what kind of physical requirements are you looking for? NFPA's web site is www.nfpa.org
    I don't think that there are any height or weight limits. I think there is a vision requirement.

Forum Member

NFPA 1582 - Standard on Medical Requirements for Fire Fighters and Information for Fire Department Physicians

This is the code that I would like to read. I have mono-occular vision as a result of a fire fighting related accident, 2 years ago. I have been fighting to get my job back, and its been a down hill fight. I guess I just wanted to read the code to find what the specific wording is about the vision requirements. Thanks
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I could check with my EMS Deputy tomorrow but for some reason I remember something about 20/30 with corrective lenses. There were several people that failed this years physicals because of the vision test. I know they were looking at it further.

Thread Information