Thread: Rehab Sector

Forum Member

Default Rehab Sector

Looking for information on Rehab sector guidelines; specifically, if EMS Advanced Life Support Paramedics are assigned to the sector and the medical guidelines that determine if FF is fit to return to the fireground/fire attack/Hazmat event. Also, if any department is currently using AHMLS trained paramedics at the scene of their HazMats.

MembersZone Subscriber

It doesn't look like you're getting much response, so I'll toss in my two cents (and that is all it's worth on this topic).

We do not have set medical guidelines for our rehab. The highest responding Staff First Aid Attendant/Paramedic (usually BC F/A Level III, or EMT-A) is assigned to the rehab/treatment post. He does rudimentary assessments when the guys are sent to him based on their appearance and response to questioning. If they raise suspicion, we perform a secondary assessment, and the attendant makes a discretionary call.

For larger incidents, or when BC Ambulance/Paramedics are called on standby (not too often as we are 35 min+ from ambulance), they handle the assessments and make the call.

Our basic rule of thumb is two tanks in the fire = 20 minutes in rehab, but sometimes if we are short bodies the rehab may just be time on an exposure line.

Sorry I couldn't provide more, but we are a small remote VFD and work with what we got. Hope that helps.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Here is a little something to help you out
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info

ABMedic

Forum Member

Most places in the states, I imagine most anyone with first aid will run rehab, whether EMT-Basic or Paramedic. I was always told that textbook rehab would require 1 hour rest after 2 bottles, but in reality this would seldom be utilized. That's some great reading, CanFF. Thanks!

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

Thread Information