Temporarily/No Longer Active

Question 2 story apartment.

Its 57 minutes, resident calls reporting a smoke detector activation in a apartment up stairs in a apartment building with 4 units( 2 on each floor). You are the Captain, you arrive with Eng.1 (quint with 2 ff)and Eng.3(pump with 1 lt. 2 ff ) and the Rescue 1(you the capt. and 1 ff). Upon arrival you inform fire alarm of heavy smoke and fire showing from second floor windows on the B side of the building and tell them to start Eng. 2 (quint 2 ff,1 lt.) which will be there in 3 minutes.

Useing this current manpower and appartus put out this fire,you also have good hydrents in the area with static pressure of 78psi.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I'm on the Rescue right? Well, I would have the Quint guys on the roof opening it up while I was doing a quick VES with a water can, while the engine is setting up, let them bring the line. All I need is a few minutes to quickly sweep the floor for victims and pinpoint the location of the fire so that the engine pukes can be directed to it to knock it down quickly.

Now if I was on the truck, where I should be , I would go in there and put the fire out with a water can or two, just to show the engine junkies how it's done!
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 05-08-2003 at 10:55 PM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

WFDjr1 the whole im better than everyone else thing isnt cool nor funny you need to remember that all ALL firefighters are on a team togather.

but to the fire
    when we arrive on scene i would have the engine grab the hydrant and then stretch a line to the door. the quint would first start a primary search of the unburned floors and then a search of the burning floor then ladder the building and then throw the stick to the roof and vent a 4ft by 4ft hole with the k-saw and then by the time this is all done engine 2 has arrived so engine 1 needs to pull a line in and start an interior atack while engine 2 waits with another line to protect exposures and if the 1 guys need a second line while the truck company waits as the rit team (ric whatever you want to call it). if nothing else happens or flares up we should be done and we should be back for supper
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

WFDjr1 the whole im better than everyone else thing isnt cool nor funny you need to remember that all ALL firefighters are on a team togather.
    That's funny, I don't remember saying that. Please, put more words in my mouth! Since my response does say I'm the captain, I guess I'm making the team decisions, huh? Therefore, when I'm making team decisions, I don't feel like saying "we" all the time, are you happy? So cry me a river and drown in it!

the quint would first start a primary search of the unburned floors and then a search of the burning floor
    That's why you're supposed to search from the burned to unburned.

And the whole comment I made about if I was on the truck was an inside joke between me and dfd, so don't open your mouth if you don't know what I'm talking about!
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 05-09-2003 at 08:34 AM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

ok ladies lets not point fingers at who said what and who didnt say whatt lets just stick to the question and move on so other people can learn instead of people always fighting.

so i have 7 guys all together. well the engine guys would pull a line i would have the guy with me go with the truckies and check the burning floor. while i and the Lt. would take a line out and get it ready for the 2 engine guys get back befor the Lt and i would get the saws ladders and axes ready for the inside team.then pull out the guys inside have my guy work with the Lt and the 1 of the engine guys getting the fire knocked down. while the other engine guy works the pumps.then the quint guys open up the roof. by that time the next in trucks should be there.as they were all checking the building i and the Lt would get the saws ladders and axes ready for the inside team.
    Last edited by Quigger; 05-09-2003 at 07:37 PM.

Quigger you have 10 guys includeing your self. Where do these truckies keep comeing from,were all engines?

Ohh and you now just discoverd you got propane tanks behind the bushes in the back yard and a neighbor that woke up from all the commotion has told you that Mrs. Maggee is eldery and in one of those apartments and has one of them green tanks on a caddy and that her grand children vist alot but she aint quite sure how many there are.You also spot the oil tank fill on the lower a side of the building.

Dont ya just love them curve balls.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 05-09-2003 at 09:26 PM.

(quint with 2 ff)
    thats where i get the truckies from and also the next 3 in guys wont be there for 3 mins
    Eng. 2 (quint 2 ff,1 lt.) which will be there in 3 minutes.
    im not going there with the old lady and the other stuff

Come on Quigger you didnt think I was gonna give every detail in my size up did you! Come on put it out!!!
    Last edited by dfdex1; 05-10-2003 at 09:25 PM.

Forum Member

I would have the quint guys vent, will have engine start attack , myself and the ff on the rescue do a search of the fire floor, second engine lay a supply line to first engine. The ff's on the 2nd engine would do a secondary search. Knock down fire,overhaul clean up, be back before 03:30.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just a question....

I have a question for the answers given so far and please dont take this as you are doing something wrong or right. Its just food for thought. How are you working in command and where from?

Ohh and you now just discoverd you got propane tanks behind the bushes in the back yard and a neighbor that woke up from all the commotion has told you that Mrs. Maggee is eldery and in one of those apartments and has one of them green tanks on a caddy and that her grand children vist alot but she aint quite sure how many there are.You also spot the oil tank fill on the lower a side of the building.
    RUN!!!

Forum Member

How much water, hose does each truck have? Lets go, supply the details.

Eng. 1 is a 2001 E-One Cyclone quint with a 100ft aerial,2000 gpm,500 gallon tank 850' of 4 inch 800' of 2.5 and two 1 3/4 preconnects 150-200 ft.

Eng. 2 is a 1996 E-One Typhoon quint with a 75 ft aerial,1250 gpm,450 gallon tank,850' of 4 inch 800' of 2.5 two high rise packs and 3 1 3/4 preconnects ,2x150--- trash line,1x200

Eng. 3 is a 1991 E-One Hush pumper 500 gallon tank,1250gpm,850' of 4 inch 800' of 2.5 two high rise packs 3 1 3/4 preconnects ,2x150--- trash line,1x200

Rescue 1 is a Ford 550 with a Central States walk around rescue body.

Your airpack is a Scott 4.5 30 min bottle.

Forum Member

Thank you.

wow a whole E-one fleet. are there any tillers or tower ladders on the way??

wow a whole E-one fleet.
    Thats because our department belives in buying quality fire engines! So is anyone going to give a answer to the questions?
    Last edited by dfdex1; 05-12-2003 at 10:15 AM.

get a hose, hook it up... put out the fire

get a hose, hook it up... put out the fire
    You might have to call the Chief and explain your logic,you've left command confused with that simple but to the point idea.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 06-16-2003 at 10:02 AM.

Forum Member

The first engine in should be stretching an attack line to the house. Meanwhile, the truck (officer, irons, and can) will do a search from the front, while the OV and Roof members work from rear while venting. The crew on the second-due engine should try to locate another water supply and assist the first Engine in the stretch. Once complete, they can stretch a second line. At this point, manpower (in this scenario) would really be stretched and it might be good to request an Extra Engine and Truck or even a second alarm.
    Last edited by Irons6789; 11-21-2007 at 02:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats because our department belives in buying quality fire engines!
    If that was the case, you wouldv'e had a fleet of Seagraves, Pierces or Macks. E-Ones are Garbage Cans with wheels.

Bumping.......we need some good subjects back near the top of the list.

So who else would venture a guess????

Forum Member

Have my first in Engine pull a line and go in on fire attack
    Have the 2nd in Engine handle water supply and assist my first in Engine on fire attack
    Rescue would be in charge of checking for occupants
    Quint would be in charge of ventilation and hope we can prevent it from spreading and call for a 2nd alarm
    Last edited by Engine101; 05-31-2003 at 03:09 PM.

FIRS OFF IM CALLING FOR MORE THEN ONE MORE ENGINE! THATS THE WONDERFUL THING ABOUT M/A. REQ FOR 2 MORE ENGINES AND A TRUCK.HAVE THE ENGINE LAY IN BIG , PUT THE QUINT TO THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING. WHEN THE ENGINE LAYS IN AND HOOKS UP TO THE QUINT AND ALSO LAY A FEEDER LINE IN THE STREET FOR THE NEXT DUE ENGINE, THE LT AND THE FIREFIGHTER ON THE ENGINE WILL TEAM UP AND PULL AN 1 3/4 FROM THE QUINT AND START AN AGRESSIVE ATTACK TO THE 2ND FLOOR. ALSO SOME1 SHOULD BE ESTABLISHING WORKING COMMAND. NOW REMEMBER THE DRIVER OF THE QUINT WILL BE PUMPING AND THE ENGINE DRIVER WILL BE LAYING LINES AND CHARGING THE HYDRANT SO THEY R OUT OF THE PICTURE. THE QUINT OFFICER CAN GRAB A 24 FOOR LADDER AND START VENTING THE WINDOWS. RESCUE ARRIVES AND MYSELF AND THE DRIVER GRAB OUR STUFF AND START A RAPID PRIMARY SEARCH FIRST ON THE FIRE FLOOR THEN THE FLOOR ABOVE THE FIRE. NEXT DUE ENGINE ARRIVES THEY ARE PULLING A LINE TO THE PROPANE TANKS IN THE BACK FOR EXPOSURE PROTECTION.. NOW WITH PEOPLE TRAPPED YOU CAN ONLY DO THE BEST U CAN.. RESCUE WUD FIRST GO LOOKING FOR THAT WOMAN WITH THE O2 TANK. IF U CANT THE NEXT M/A COMPANIES COMING IN CAN GIVE IT A SHOT. UNFORTUNATLY IN THE REAL WORLD PEOPLE DIE IN FIRES, OUR SAFETY COMES FIRST. IF THE ATTACK CREW GETS IN THERE FAST ENOUGH AND PROPER VENTILATION IS TAKING CARE RIGHT AWAY THE FIRE SHOULD BE KNOCKED DOWN PRETTY FAST. DO A SECONDARY SEARCH OVERHAUL AND BACK TO THE COUCH AND WATCH AMERICAN IDOL
    FIREFIGHTING IS ALL ABOUT ***, BUSTING OURS TO SAVE YOURS!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by TillerMan25

If that was the case, you wouldv'e had a fleet of Seagraves, Pierces or Macks. E-Ones are Garbage Cans with wheels.
    All I will say is I couldn't disagree more with that comment made about E-One

Thread Information