IACOJ Agitator

Exclamation String of Firehouse Break-Ins in CT!!!

Add North Coventry to the list! SCBA and Turnouts taken.

New London-WTNH, May 8, 2003 5:02 PM) _ A series of break-ins at Connecticut firehouses is causing alarm statewide. Firehouses in Marlborough, Hebron, Old Lyme, Haddam and Salem have all been hit. And the items the crooks are taking are anything but ordinary.

"In here we had two airpacks sitting in these brackets they took one of them but left the mask."

In total, two Scott air packs were taken from different trucks in a Salem volunteer fire house, one of five departments burglarized during a string of early morning heists in the last two months.

The other departments were in Haddam, Hebron, Marlborough and a fire house in Old Lyme. The burglar or burglars took a variety of equipment ranging from turnout gear and air packs to UHF radios.

The pattern is sporadic, but the result may be definitely dangerous for those who need the equipment to safely fight fires.

"If I didn't come in first thing in the morning and we had a call the guy in the jumpseat would have been 'where's the air pack' and we're going to the fire, ya know," says Lt. Dave Musto, "and that's one less air pack at the scene for all the volunteers we have in the department."
    "That could have been dangerous."
    "Yes."

Why this equipment was stolen is as much a mystery as who stole it. Apparently there is a market for these air packs -- you can see them for sale on Internet auction sites -- but they are traceable through their serial numbers and police hope anyone who comes across the stolen equipment will contact the police.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

If you need me, I'll be on the roof with the thermal imager and a charged 2.5"

I hope they catch theses shmucks. I don't like wondering if the truck will be missing at the next call.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Adze,
    checkout the thread form KCVFDJr or something ..........same deal......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

IACOJ Agitator

Are you trying to say you prefer his threads over mine?!? But he doesn't have Coventry in there...so my post is more up to date
    IACOJ Agitator

Sr. Information Officer

Post NJ .....late again

I admit....ya scooped me on this one!

COLCHESTER, Conn. (AP)- State police are investigating possible
    links in several burglaries in which thieves have targeted
    firehouses in five towns.
    Thieves have stolen air packs, oxygen tanks, radios and other
    specialized items.
    The thefts have left the fire departments short on some crucial
    gear. State police in Colchester and Westbrook have created a task
    force to investigate.
    "There is something going on. It gives the impression of
    someone looking for survival equipment," Sgt. Sidney Luther, a
    supervisor at the Colchester state police barracks said Wednesday.
    Firehouses in Marlborough, Hebron, Old Lyme, Haddam and Salem
    have been broken into over the past two months.
    "We're looking at a possible black market for these items. This
    is some sort of organized operation,' Luther said.
    State fire officials have warned fire departments across the
    state to make sure their buildings are secure and to report any
    missing equipment.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

IACOJ Agitator

Thefts Stir New Fears
    Potential For Use By Terrorists Seen

May 9, 2003
    By TRACY GORDON FOX, Courant Staff Writer

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, firefighters and emergency workers have been trained to scan fire or accident scenes to look for suspicious people or packages, fearing that terrorists might try to make firefighters secondary targets after an attack.

But what if the terrorists were dressed like firefighters, in flame-retardant coats with flashlights and two-way radios, their faces concealed by masks connected to air packs? How would the firefighters distinguish them?

That scenario has taken tangible new meaning for Connecticut firefighters since air packs, oxygen tanks, fire coats and flashlights were stolen from several eastern Connecticut fire departments in the past two months, most recently from a fire station in Coventry.

The concern was heightened late Wednesday when the FBI issued a new alert saying that intelligence overseas has indicated that firefighters and EMS workers could become targets after an initial attack.

"After the state police gave us their update last night, that was definitely the consensus of the people here," said Floyd Chaney, chief of the Mohegan Tribal Fire Department and president of the New London County Fire Chiefs' Association. "That is definitely a concern we are looking at, but right now our hands are tied. What are we looking for? We're looking for someone dressed as one of our own."

Sgt. Sidney Luther of the Colchester state police barracks met with chiefs from the 59 departments in the New London association Wednesday night in North Stonington to discuss the firehouse burglaries, which occurred in Marlborough, Hebron, Old Lyme, Haddam and Salem.

"The fear is somebody might be trying to blend in by obtaining equipment," Luther said.

The thefts were brought up again at another safety meeting firefighters attended Thursday with state Office of Emergency Management officials, Chaney said.

"Between last night and this morning, it was brought up again - to be careful and be aware," Chaney said.

Police in Coventry said Thursday that they were investigating a burglary reported at the North Coventry main firehouse, in which several items were taken. Police said the break-in was similar to ones that have been reported in several other communities this week.

Fire departments statewide have been instructed by state police and the state Public Safety Department's Division of Homeland Security to make sure to secure their firehouses and equipment, and to lock doors when going out to a call.

"We're not trying to push any panic buttons," said Sgt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman. "The investigations are moving forward. One of our biggest issues was to make firefighters aware of what had happened."

The thefts prompted state police in Colchester and Westbrook to create a task force of resident state troopers and firefighters to investigate.

It is not uncommon for departments in urban settings to have items stolen, but it is less common in rural departments. "In a rural area, you go to a fire and leave the bay door open and don't expect anyone to walk off with the TV," said Jeff Morrissette, the state's fire administrator.

Departments are now taking stronger measures to protect their equipment, Morrissette said.

"It is a potential scenario," Morrissette said of someone stealing equipment in order to blend in with firefighters. "If it's a wide-open scene like New York on 9/11, in the early minutes of the incident, it would be easy for someone to encroach on a scene."

For now, fire officials such as Chaney and Morrissette said they will have to keep a closer watch as they arrive at a fire, looking for things that don't make sense, like a firefighter wearing a coat from a department that would not ordinarily respond.

"I know what departments would be responding and a lot of gear has town names on it," Chaney said. "We're teaching ourselves to be aware."

Anyone with any information about the equipment thefts is asked to call state police in Colchester at 860-537-7500.

Courant Staff Writer Larry Smith contributed to this story.
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

Good point Adze.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by Adze39
    Are you trying to say you prefer his threads over mine?!? But he doesn't have Coventry in there...so my post is more up to date
    Yea yea, well when i did my post, which was before you!, lol, they didnt mention coventry! but thats ok, its all good

IACOJ Agitator

Did anyone else notice this part of the second article I posted? Something else to be worried about...

The concern was heightened late Wednesday when the FBI issued a new alert saying that intelligence overseas has indicated that firefighters and EMS workers could become targets after an initial attack.
    IACOJ Agitator

Permanently Removed

Targets how? Like we can be poped by a camel jockey snioer while wlaking out side? Or our stations bombed? or what

Forum Member

Haven't we been targets (or thought of as so) since the abortion clinic bombings years ago? I think it was in Atlanta. The one where there was a bomb, and then a second blast about 20 minutes into it...

And I promise, if I see any CT gear walking around my fire scene being worn by strangers, I'll call.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Permanently Removed

call, then send it back, and make sure you send the guy too so we can beat the living daylights out of the *****
    Last edited by Kvfcjr; 05-09-2003 at 04:46 PM.

Forum Member

Local Ambulance company just went on a call for chest pain. Got there and took all the equipment in on the cot. Treated the chest painer, loaded him on then cot and when out to get in the ambulance..............only to find NO ambulance!! They called for a second bus and took the pt to the hospital. Cops found the first bus a few hours later in a parking lot acorss town! Makes you wonder!
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

Permanently Removed

Local Ambulance company just went on a call for chest pain.
    as in today?

Check this out:

Stolen items recovered

I hope we find him before they do!
    We lost our computer, Handheld and O2. Luckily no Scott's or gear was taken from us.

Lt. Kevin MacGranor
    Marlborough (CT) Vol. Fire Co.
    Lt. Kevin MacGranor
    Marlborough (CT) Vol. Fire Co.

this guy should be hopeing to get caught(sp) by the cops.

IACOJ Agitator

Thanks for giving us the update, Mac. Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

After the news stations were all over it last night, it must have turned up some heat on the guy and alerted a neighbor.
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

Well, this is interesting. This is going to turn out to be a very interesting story once it is all compiled, thinking back to the events leading up to the first Haddam break-in.

I guess I can come down from the roof and pack up the 2.5". Damn.

IACOJ Agitator

Default Man Sought In Fire Gear Theft

Man Sought In Fire Gear Theft
    Equipment Found In Meriden

May 10, 2003
    By COLIN POITRAS, Courant Staff Writer

WESTBROOK -- State police on Friday were searching for a Meriden man they believe is responsible for stealing thousands of dollars' worth of firefighting gear from five eastern Connecticut towns in the past two months.

Investigators were seeking an arrest warrant for the suspect late Friday evening. State police spokesman Sgt. J. Paul Vance said that a photo of the man and his name would be released after the warrant is signed.

Two troopers tracking down a tip Thursday night recovered all the stolen gear inside a Meriden apartment. Vance said the suspect was home when troopers knocked on the front door but managed to escape - possibly out a back door - as the troopers were being let inside.

Vance said the gear was in plain view in a room in the house. The missing equipment was taken from fire departments in Marlborough, Salem, Old Lyme, Haddam and Coventry.

The stolen items included boots, helmets, protective coats, several air packs, portable radios, flashlights, emergency medical packs, gloves, firefighting magazines, a crowbar and even a light rack that was pried off the top of a Haddam emergency vehicle. Vance could not provide a total value of the recovered items but said the air packs alone were worth $4,000 each. All the items belonged to volunteer fire departments.

Vance said it was too early to speculate what the suspect's motive was, but he was adamant that the thefts had nothing to do with terrorism.

"I have no knowledge of any homeland security issues whatsoever in connection with the theft of this equipment," Vance said during an afternoon press conference.

Concerns about the thefts' possible links to terrorism were heightened earlier this week when the FBI issued a warning that firefighters and EMS workers could become terrorist targets after an initial attack.

State police officials shared news of the FBI warning with regional firefighters at a meeting Wednesday night. But Vance said Friday that police offered the information as a general precaution and not for any reason directly connected to the thefts.

The thefts were also brought up during a meeting with officials from the state Office of Emergency Management on Thursday.

Vance declined to release any identifying details of the suspect Friday except to say that he is a U.S. citizen with no prior involvement in emergency services in Connecticut as far as police can tell. Police were not looking for any other suspects.

"We are looking for one individual and one individual alone," Vance said.

Vance praised Troopers Francis Budwitz and James Connelly for breaking the case. Vance said the troopers' "old-fashioned police work" led to the tip that took them to Meriden. Budwitz works in the Westbrook barracks. Connelly is Haddam's resident trooper.

Police swarmed into the Meriden neighborhood near the suspect's apartment after the gear was found about 8 p.m. Thursday, Vance said. Tracking dogs were brought in, but the suspect still managed to elude police. A car believed to belong to the suspect was seized by investigators and is expected to be processed for possible evidence.

Vance said all of the burglaries were forced entries. He declined to speculate whether they were spontaneous or planned.
    IACOJ Agitator

Permanently Removed

Default Alrams

Hey, I was thinking...
    About those alarm systems we were talking aobut, how bout one that gets shut off as soon as the tone goes out! Kinda like those doors that automaticly open when the tone goes out.

Forum Member

Providence had a rescue stolen out from under them while dropping off a woman in labor at the hospital. Cops found it about 20 minutes later.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by CollegeBuff
    Providence had a rescue stolen out from under them while dropping off a woman in labor at the hospital. Cops found it about 20 minutes later.
    AMR had an ambulance stolen from them while the crew was inside one of the hospitals. The cops chased the ambulance but lost it when it crossed the river (don't know how they lost it). They found the ambulance and culprit a few towns away when the ambulance crashed into a parked car in a parking lot and the guy got out and tried to steal an old lady's purse. Talk about brains....
    IACOJ Agitator

You could imagine how surprised I was to drive by my firehouse on my way home for the weekend and see a news crew out front. My first thought was oh no, i missed a fire. But then I realized what town I lived in, and knew it couldn't be. Thanks for the articles, I wasn't aware that they caught the guys.

-steve

Permanently Removed

they caught the damn little *****!!!

(Westbrook-WTNH, May 10, 2003 6:06 PM) _ Meriden police have arrested the man wanted for a series of thefts from volunteer fire stations.

State police say they found equipment stolen from six volunteer fire stations at a Meriden apartment Thursday night.

25-year-old James Chapman was arrested at his home on South Broad Street with the help of his attorney.

He's facing a charge of first degree larceny by possession.

Items taken from the departments include boots, protective coats, helmets, portable radios, flashlights and other equipment.

Police say they believe the suspect was home when they entered the apartment acting on a tip, but was able to escape.

Forum Member

The little weasel actually put on gear and went to various fire dept calls masquarading as a volunteer firefighter. Of course, his lawer is claiming this is all becasue of some misguided dream to become a firefighter.

Thread Information