Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Lackluster Links.......

For the first time in months, I went to the Maryland page on "Links" to look up a couple of Md. Departments sites. In my humble opinion, Maybe it's time to scrap the current system and go to something more user friendly. Here are several things to look at:
    1. Is there a need for "New or recently updated sites" to appear at the top of EVERY page?? I think not, it cuts down on the space for more listings on that page.
    2. There are a lot of Departments listed as having "0" stations. I've never seen a department without a station.
    3. Remove the Fire Network "Cover Page" when a department has it's own page. There is no need for wading thru more links, just go directly to that department's page.
    4. The former Alphabetical listing by Company name was much easier to navigate than the current grouping by County.
    5. If you haven't heard from the Ridgely VFD (Caroline County) and the Ridge VFD (St Marys County) yet, Stand by, You will. Those sites are mixed up with Ridge listed as Caroline County.....
    So, to sum up here; I strongly urge you to Scrap the Fire Network page for all listings where the Department has it's own Website. Also, Go back to alphabetical listings by Company Name. Last, Scrap the current design for the Fire Network page. The English Professors at the University are still laughing at the arcane wording used on the first page "members are on a volunteer status" Huh?? Best Wishes and Thanks.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Administrator

"I strongly urge you to Scrap the Fire Network page for all listings where the Department has it's own Website. Also, Go back to alphabetical listings by Company Name. Last, Scrap the current design for the Fire Network page. The English Professors at the University are still laughing at the arcane wording used on the first page "members are on a volunteer status"

This post was made the day the Firehouse Network launched...all we ask is you give new things a little bit of time before making any final decisions. There are thousands more departments listed, and there are bound to be a few bugs here and there. We'll rely on user input to make whatever changes and additions are needed. In end, this will be the most comprehensive listing of fire departments, web links, and data available anywhere, online or elsewhere. Its a major project that has involved hundreds of hours of data conversion and transfer. It combines the old Fire-EMS.net pages, our old Web Directory, and other databases into one.

Sorry, the Firehouse Network is here to stay. There will be no direct linking to department official sites from a plain state by state listing, you must at least first go to the first page of their profile listing on Firehouse.com. There will be aditional options such as listing straight alphabetically. This new service allows us to also more easily verify links are active, add additional links for departments, add multiple station links, etc. It also ties in members of that department to their organization online ... a service which will in the long run be a full alumni style directory that will allow old friends and new to stay in touch through Firehouse.com.

The wording of the latter comes from the former Fire-EMS Network working. We'll look into adjusting that.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up You ask, you get answers........

Thanks, WT, I didn't know that I had hit the opening day of a major revision. If I run into an error in a site, I'll PM you. On the thing about having "0" stations, Would setting the default for that question to "1" help? Thanks, Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information