Thread: Rit

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rit

Does any State have a RIT/FAST certification program? We've got many local Companies claiming to be RIT heavies and offering short duration courses (4hrs) that I believe give FF's a deadly false sense of confidence when it comes to FF rescue
    Chief Dennis McCloskey
    Pennsville, NJ Fire & Rescue
    20 sq mis/16,000 pop

Forum Member

A few states offer a 40hr. course on ff survival/RIT. They appear to be very good course's from articles I have read. Someone who has taking one of them can surely tell you more. I do know this much, a 4 hr. course can only touch on RIT responsibilties and what "not to do".
    We spend at least 6 hrs a month on ff survival/RIT training (in- house). We use the LODD-NIOSH Reports as part of our training. You should check out http://rapidintervention.com. Theres alot of good info. on training, equipment, and theres forums aswell. I know alot of the guys on the forums teach RIT for private companies.

CaptD

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i could be wrong but i don't think there are any states that certify firefighters in RIT, mostly since I don't know that many places that certify someone to teach RIT. James Crawford and a few others are the only ones I'd trust to teach a class. 4 hours is not nearly enough to train people on RIT. Most departments train several hours a month for over a year to become efficent in rapid intervention. Just some of the drills take 4 hours to learn.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT

I do not know of a Certified RIT program anywhere. I do think that there are several Nationally recognized instructors like James Crawford and others. However, there are many other instructors out there who can put on the same type training class. My dept. is working on an RIT cirriculum for our dept. right now, and I trust any of the instructors on the committee. Any dept. can come up with a program. They just need to know what their depts. needs are. They also need to have competent instructors. You know who they are in your dept.

Of course you can also shell out the money and have one of those nationally recognized instructors come to your dept. You will be taught a broad RIT program that has basis in there dept. For example a volunteer company in the middle of Kansas probably has different needs and resources than FDNY.

I am in no way saying that these instructors aren't excellent instructors. There is a reason why they are nationally recognized. They are the leaders in there field. This does not mean that you cannot come up with an RIT program that is just as good and is catered to your depts. needs.

Forum Member

Actually, I customize or cater all of my classes for each fire department I instruct for depending on their needs and resources. If they want a basic introduction, they get it. If they want advanced training, I give it to them. Either way I will humble you. I don't give just broad RIT training geared towards what my department does. It's geared towards what your department will do. I teach nationally recognized skills and procedures that have been developed by myself and several other excellent nationally recognized instructors that are extremely devoted to this area of training. Firefighter rescue training is not for everybody, and neither is teaching it. I would suggest you thoroughly check out any instructor that you intend on hiring to train you in rapid intervention. If you take "low bid" then you may very well get low bid training. I know a lot of great local level instructors who teach awesome programs, but then again I know a lot that will scare you to death, including some that don't even know what a charged hose pull or handcuff knot is. Rapid Intervention is dangerous, specialized training and you need an experienced and mature instructor to deliver it. Just make sure you have that on day 1 of training before anyone gets hurt. As far as shelling out the money for one of those nationally recognized guys, you get what you pay for. It takes a lot of resources to put on a safe and worthwhile RIT class which takes money, not to mention travel expenses, etc. I would suggest logging onto rapidintervention.com and clicking on the instructor banner to search for RIT instructors in your state. If you are having trouble locating an instructor in your state to do your training contact me and I will help you find one. The important thing here is that you get the proper training. We all need to keep training our people in firefighter rescue...
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT

Jim I apologize if I offended you at all. I was not trying to attack you. The point I was trying to make was that some of these Firefighters(not pointing a finger directly) would like everything handed to them. Every dept. has firefighters like this. I was trying to boost confidence and trying to show other firefighters that they can make up these classes or any other classes with the right resources. So many firefighters rely on other guys who are motivated to teach them. I learn so much more from instructing than I do from being a student. I cannot think of every question, however, if you are teaching they will ask the questions and we can find answers if I don't have it already. I work in Virginia and we have the Virginia Department of Fire Programs that organizes and puts on a majority of the classes in this state. This is the only way to get training unless someone else comes up with a class of there own.
    I am completing a Search Line class to be taught in July/August. Most of what I have learned came from Endrikat, Sendelbach, and myself. I have taken all the info and combined it into a class that our dept. will benefit from.
    I am also on the R.I.T. committee and we are working on training and SOP's for the whole dept. The search Line is the first wave of training. They will all be integrated into different uses.
    VDFP does not have a Search line or RIT class that I know of, however they might if they are interested in ours. They can use mine all they want. I am not going to get anything out of it, but if it saves a life civilian, firefighter, or otherwise then it was a success. I am not interested in teaching nationally that is what we have experienced guys like you for. I am perfectly happy with making my department the best it can be and if other depts. benefit from it then great.

Again I was not trying to offend you. I look forward to taking one of your courses some time. My buddy took your collapse class at Norfolk while I was in Endrikat and Sendelbach's classes.

Forum Member

Rhett,
    No offense taken. I just wanted to clarify your post. Everyone must use caution when selecting an instructor. I hope your program works out and if you need any help let me know.
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Check www.firerescue.com they are out of Indianapolis. They travel, from what I understand. I have been through their flashover chamber. They do a very good job. They are one possibility. Good luck.
    If it's wet and not yours, don't touch it.

Biohazard
    BFD/ BHAS

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

In my state we have a 16hr class that is certified. It is called mayday firefighter down. It is a very physical class, probably one of the hardest classes I have ever taken. Lots of RIT training and very useful and important information. It has about 1hr of classroom and the rest is non-stop hands on training.
    JASONSFD LADDER 5
    IAFF L2801 WOODEN LADDERS AND IRON MEN

Forum Member

Michigan State University certifies for RIT and it is recognized by the Michigan State Firefighters Training Council. I took the class 3 years ago and it was tough. The course was 80 hours and went into every facet of RIT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rit

I know that FDTraining.com, in Indianapolis.They do a lot with Rit training.

Thread Information