Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Question Have you ever been on a fire trucks last run?

If you have ever been on a trucks last run, please post the story here. I think my truck's last run is both amusing and unique. I realize that you may have already read this in another post.

I took one of our fire trucks, Engine 71 on its last run. The truck was a 1976 Ford F-900 with a 5-speed standard transmission. It carried 500 gallons of water and was equipped with a FMC Bean fire package.

One evening around 1800 hrs. my department got called to a structure fire. I went to the station, and our old engine was already enroute. So I jumped in our tanker. I pulled up on scene to find (for the most part) that the fire was under control. We worked for approximately 2 hrs. During the overhaul, I worked extensively to make sure that the fire did not start again. I flipped over the stove to check under it for fire, inspected the refrigerators, inspected the closets, and even went through all of the chests-of-drawers. I checked every nook and cranny of that house to make sure that the fire was completely out. There was no somke when I left.

The next day around 1030 hrs. my department was paged out again to the same adress citing that the same house that burned the day before was on fire again. Hence the stuff at the bottom.

The fire started underneath the kitchen floor (the second time). When I pulled up on scene with Engine 71, I drove around back and began to douse the space under the kitched floor. It could be accessed now because the floor had collapsed. The house was made of blocks, with a wodden frame inside of the blocks. Everything was destryoed except the trusses (which were barely there), the roof tin, and the walls. There was no possible way for us to know that there was fire underneath that floor, and no way to get to it either. That night we took delivery of Gadsden County Fire Service Engine 6 and retired and stripped ol' Engine 71.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Well, i've never been on a trucks last run, but i have been on a few runs, inwhich i thought it was my last run! One of which was a really really bad snow storm, fisrt time i've slid sideways in a fire truck, a heavy rescue at that!

Angry Our 1973 macks last fire

I was on our 1973 macks last fire call. It was a room and contents fire. It performed well on it. I was also on the rig on its last strike team assignemnt. it went on a large range fire and was used for structure protection.

It was our last 2 stage pump in the dept and it was fun to operate. I will try and post a photo of it here but might not be successful. We got rid of it about 3 years ago. Bummer.
    Last edited by UTFFEMT; 05-11-2003 at 04:21 PM.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Not on purpose
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

I drove 4162 (my department's first aerial) on its last voyage - to the scrapyard. Or at least I started to the scrapyard. The motor quit about 150 yards from the station as I was pulling onto a major arterial street.

About the time it quit, we got a call for a 5 yo drowning victim at the municipal swimming pool. I made the engine as it pulled off the apron.

Footnote to the above:

I also wound up driving the ambulance to the ER to free up an extra paramedic. The child is now O.K. and is one of my son's best friends in kindergarten.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Our truck's last run..

All I gots to say.. Federal Q all 'da way!

We still have 2 Mack cf600 engines in reserve, I think they are now 28 years old. It's kind of like the B52 bomber, where the plane is older than it's crew, same thing. The guys are driving the units that their dad drove. I'm not sure they will ever have a "last run".

LOL about the truck breaking down. The Ford used to break down all the time. Once it broke down in the driveway while enroute to a fire. Another time the brakes went out while pulling up to a fully involved vehicle on the side of the road (used e-brake to stop). Another time, the day before we had to run the truck in my cheifs funeral precession, the damn line to the clutch exploded. We fixed it just in time to make the funeral. Cheif Marvin 'Frank' Hand died from cancer. Rest in peace, 1201.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

We have a 1973 Oren, she's our reserve now, but goes out every once in awhile. I hope i get to drive it before its last run

Forum Member

Anyone ever have to push start your engine so you could leave the scene and go back to the station. We had a 1973 pumper by allegheny that we finally replaced last year. had to push start it out of the station several times and at the scene one time
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Many many years ago we had a truck that even if you had to go north to the fire, you would have to start out south down the hill to get the thing running!

Firefighter1219,

Kind of funny I drove our old Engine 71 on its last run. She
    was a 1982 Ford C-500?? with a Saulsbury equipment, 1250gpm pump with 1500gal.

She had been put into reserve awaiting our new engine. We got a call
    at 0130 for smoke in the area. Well we rolled our first out truck and I went a head and grabbed Old 71. Old 71 was not the fastest truck in the world by any stretch of the imagination. Well the Lt. calls the county to advise it is not our fire, but we saw a large glow up a head and we were continuing in. They toned out the appropriate twps., while we went to the scene. We arrived finding a deserted farmhouse fully involved. E74 setup for attack and E75 stretched 800' of 3in supply. I setup E71 for portable pump/tanker supply and turned over her ops to the next in crew. She pumped continueous for 6 hrs(while our neighbors new trucks stopped pumping) The next week we got our new truck and E71 went to a newly formed department as their reserve tanker.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

You know you a Firefighter when-
    You read a story about an old trucks last run, and it brings a tear to your eye, lol

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

nope havent ridden in a trucks last run yet.hey matt i have ridden in our engine when it started sliding sideways, wow it was fun.

Sweet, although mine a was a bit scary, its a very top heavy rescue!

Yea, but the thing aobur the truck i was in, its a very top heavy rescue!, lol, a bit scary.

Ol' Engine 71 probably never ran over 65 mph. It was hard enough to get it to go 50 mph. She was one pumping mother though.

Once at a mobile home fire, a fellow firefighter and myself were on a 1.5" hose spraying through the window. We were standing on the porch, which had a rail all the way around. Our chief was running the pump on ol' 71, and had the pressure around 135 psi. We were having trouble holding our footing, and we had no way to tell cheif to turn it down. We started to slide backwards on the porch, and then the guy in front of me on the hose turned it to the side and it splashed back from the outside wall into our helmet shields. We slid straight backwards until I hit the rail. I wasn't injured but was lucky. We turned off the nozzle than screamed at the top of our lungs to turn down the pressure.

She always ran great at the scene. It was getting her there that was the problem.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

I know what you mean! We have alot of hills in our area and god forbid
    you have to repsond with that truck because you might be doing 55 at the base of the hill, but by the time you get to the top you might be doing 35 if your lucky with a stiff tailwind.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Our tankers have abit of trouble getting up some of our hill. When you carrying 2000 gal. of water, in a ford, its understanable!

MembersZone Subscriber

I took the last ride on our 1966 open cab Mack. We were dispatched to a garage fire with limited access area. The Tac truck went first the engine was for water supply. We traveling down the road and the driver said the gas pedal was stuck. When we stop the engine we turn around and went back to the station. We put the truck in the bay and put it out of service for good. We had ordered a new engine and were waiting for it to come in. That was the last alarm for our 1966 Mack.

Thread Information