Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Military Firefighting

I'm 16 and looking into the military to gain some firefighting experience. You have to be 21 in my area to get on, so I think that if I can can get some more experience and maybe some military points on the exam. I am in our Fire Explorer Post but no one seems to have any experience in the military. So the question I was wondering is what would be the best branch to into if I take this route? Many say Air Force, but give no reason. I was looking at the Marines, but, if I am not mistaken they don't do any structural firefighting. So I am kind of steered back to the Air Force or the Army. If anybody has any firefighting experience in ANY branch, any advice you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

i dont have any but im pretty sure that the navy has fire fighting crews on their ships

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Yup, I would have to agree that the Navy is your best bet. They usually have dedicated firefighter crews on all ships with air ops (helicoptors, etc.). Plus you travel a lot more.

My little brother is in the Canadian Navy, and he recently completed a posting as a Fire Instructor at the Naval Fire School in Esquimalt (Victoria, BC). You want to see a nice facility! Right up there with the best structural fire schools, and he had an absolute blast doing it(no pun intended). He says the American Naval Fire Program is very similar.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

I wasn't a firefighter in the Military, but as a former Marine and current member of the Air National Guard, I would go with the Air Force for fifefighting. At the Marine bases I was at it seemed to me like a lot of the firefighters were civilians. Unless you have a strong desire to be a Marine, Air Force basic training is much shorter and the lifestyle is more relaxed. As far as the Navy goes, hope you like being on a ship!
    Last edited by NFD159; 05-12-2003 at 12:14 AM.

Air Force basic training is much shorter and the lifestyle is more relaxed.
    That's an understatement don't you think?

The Marines only have Crash Fire Rescue as an MOS, the Navy as wel I believe. The Air Force boys do Crash Fire Rescue and Structural firefighting but usually with a mix of military and civilian forces. Otherwise most bases have Federal Firefighters who work on them. The Marine Corps I believe has its own Fire department for structural calls called the Marine Corps Fire Service who work on the base. EMS is usually provided by the Navy medical clinic on station.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Default DaSharkie

Yeah, definetly an understatement, but didn't want to start an interservice ****ing contest.

I don't have any personal experience with military FFing but check out the web employment posting boards like monster and run a search for "firefighting". When I was cruising these sites looking for a job there was always a ton of posts from the gov't for military FF. I'm not sure what kind of positions they were but they'd be something like "18-34 y/o free fire training, must enlist and relocate"
    Check it out I'm sure you'll find 'em easily.

Default I vote you go Marines But

I was a Fire Fighter in the Marine Corps. It is True that your primary job is crash or Airport Fire Fighting. If there is as fire on base in a Hanger or Chow hall you can bet your rear every Fire fighter on the base will be there, military or Civilian. It is not True that you will not deploy, if you bid for a Wing Job you will see the world in its entirety. Wherever you see a Marine Corps Air Craft you will find a marine with a MOS of 7051. At the DOD Fire School Lewis Garland Fire academy you will get the same Training that all branches of the Service get at the Basic Level Except the “Navy” This includes FF1, FF2 Airport Fire Fighter, Has Mat Tech and Some sort Medical training. It is a joint school thought by members of all branches of the Military. The Navy gets some basic firefighting in school and then once they get to a Ship the whole ship does Annul or semi annul training at places all over the Country. There is one at NETC in Newport R.I. The Training they receive is Shipboard based and revolves around survival on the open seas and Fire Systems that are unique only to ships. The Air force By Far has better equipment and continuing training. There Trucks are Newer there Stations are impeccable.
    The Veterans Credit Points you speak of are a whole other story. You need to talk to you local civil service office to see how you can qualify. There are only certin dates and theaters of operation of people who served that are eligible.
    I know this is a lot to take in feel free to email me and I will try to do better to explain. By the way I also worked in the Federal system @ Army and Navy installations. Good Luck
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Forum Member

Default Air Force

As a former Air Force firefighter ( 7 years) and current DOD Civilian (8 years), I don't think the other services can touch the Air Force for quality and quanity of training. I work with guys who were all the other services both military and civilian and there has to be some good reasons they're staying with the Air Force. Working conditions is high up on the list. We have beteer facilities than MOST Army and Navy bases. As for the equipment, they're trying to improve but it's a long slow road. A lot of bases are still using apparatus that was designed by some brain-dead moron with no clue as to our needs. The transition to off the shelf commercial apparatus is moving along slowly. Don't be suprised if you're riding in trucks older than you.

On the military aspect, the Air Force is more education focused and not so much " yell loud and kill people". :-) Remember, it's not just a job, it's a really easy job! Any Army, Navy or Marine vetran who has spent time on an Air Force base will attest to the higher standard of living.

Feel free to send me an e-mail.

Joe

I live in a state where the Army National Guard is the only force in the state other than Air Guard and a couplae of Naval reserve bases. There is a firefighting unit in the Army national Guard on Camp Dodge, IA. They are primarily structural firefighters and they are also, ARFF, and HAZMAT. They do loads of live fire training and certify their members to the hilt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default military firefighting

I was an Army firefighter for 5 years and now work for San Diego fire department and my militry experience really helped me. Dont go Navy or Marines if you want structural experince. Navy does shipboard firefighting and marines do crash resue. All branches go through the same academy at Louis F. Garland Fire Academy. Army is phasing out firefighters and going completly DOD civilians. The Air Force is a great way to go and you will be treated a lot better than any other service. Plus the military put me through Paramedic school which really helped me get hired.

Forum Member

Air Force is the way to go.

The Louis F. Garland Fire Academy is located at Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas and, as was previously mentioned, is where all of the branches send their firefighters for training. I've had the opportunity to spend a week observing the operation and was truly impressed with the people and the facility.

http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/Trainin...sic/index.html

Forum Member

For both military and civilian firefighters the Air Force takes firefighting much more seriously than the other branches, they are closely followed by the Marine Corps, although as a military FF you will be more limited in the Marines (crash) than in the USAF where the FF are integrated civ & military.

The Navy keeps asking why do we need a fire department (we were seriously asked this when I worked for the Navy as a civilian FF).

All of the military FFs I've met have said if they were going to start over as a FF they would have gone Air Force.

You could also try to look a bit further, with regard to the military. One of my classmates when I was hired, had a damage control rating in the Navy. They were, in his words, the “problem solvers” of the ship. Shoring, firefighting, emergency repair of anything on a ship, these all were activities he specialized in. Many of the shoring principles he was taught while in the Navy, are the same as what we use now.
    Again, in his words, there were a lot of beneficial trainings, and skills that he learned that we use in the fire department.
    I have also heard that the Navy Corpsman program is outstanding as well, at least in regard to giving you valuable skills and training in EMS, and far beyond.
    It’s also a way to go Navy, and have all these “jarheads” leave you alone. From what I’ve heard, a Corpsman in an infantry unit is about the only Navy a Marine could admit to liking.
    Just a couple of ideas for you to maybe look into, good luck with your decisions, and future.

Rather than spending 20 minutes writing the same things over again, I'll refer you to these for info:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ne+firefighter
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...threadid=63265

Oh yeah, hey JoeMZ, haven't seen you on the ambulance lately-where you been?
    Last edited by gunnyv; 12-01-2005 at 02:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Quigger View Post
    i dont have any but im pretty sure that the navy has fire fighting crews on their ships
    the navy is for terds. join the Army

It is my totally uneducated thought, that the Army is trying to phase out the bulk of their firefighters, turning it over to Civilians.

The navy, well, its the navy.

The Marines - I don't think the Marines do much of anything halfway - they tend to go all out. Not a bad choice. Remember - its a lifestyle.

The Air Force? Well, I don't think anyone will argue about the quality of life being better in the Air Force, the training for the civilian world, or the job itself all being better in the Air Force.

Ask any Marine about the quality of life in the Air Force. They will tell you something along the line of --- "D(%$ P(wimps) have it made...."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnouville View Post
    Yeah, that makes us look really good...crap for grammar, not to mention it's spelled "turd".

Must be an 11B...I think I hear your PSG calling you, he wants you to go find a pint of compass oil.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

20 years in the air force as a aircraft maintainer watching the fire department from across the flightline. Yout will get absolutely the best training, but don't expect alot of fires, car wrecks or aircraft incidents. Air Force people are just too darn SAFE!! Air Force Firefighters see more action running mutual aid to the neighboring city/town (generally speaking).
    Also, from what I have seen, the Air Force LOVES new toys that embrace the latest technology.
    I think most bases are heavily into Hazmat training also.

And it's true, the Air Force loves for you to get smarter, even on THEIR time, you might be able to take classes during your shifts!

E.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnouville View Post
    Only if you like "camping" ALOT!!!!!

E.

Thread Information