Firefighters Injured During Rescue Of Dog

Published: May 6, 2003




TAMPA - Two firefighters suffered minor injuries Monday while trying to rescue a dog and douse a blaze at a construction company, a fire official said.
A fire began outside W.L. Williams Construction, 2508 N. 50th St., about 6 p.m., possibly from a discarded cigarette near a makeshift shelter behind the building, Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Michele Perez said. As flames spread, they generated heavy smoke that forced the owner's 5-year-old male chow, Simba, to crouch down in a back room, she said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes and retrieved the dog, who walked around the property afterward with Williams, the owner. Williams estimated the fire caused less than $50,000 in damage.

During the fire, one firefighter put his foot through the ceiling; another suffered minor injuries outside, Perez said. Both were treated at a hospital.