Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scba Seats

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Scba Seats

Does anyone out there have SCBA seats in the Ford F-450 or 550 4dr? We are looking at getting them and the manufacture says that he had rather not do them because of some other people he has done them for has fussed about them. Just wandered what the rest of the world thought. We are wanting to get them because this truck will serve as a service truck and we are just looking to some room in the body by having 3 of the SCBA's in the cab. Thanks.

Forum Member

We investigated using SCBA seats on an F-550 light rescue.

You cannot use them in the officers seat due to space problems for knee room for the officer and also for the rear passenges but to a lesser extent.

They could be possibly be put in the rear seat, but only two due to width limitations. In addition the cab floor pan may require some modification to accept the seats.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

I've been wondering this for a while but have forgotten to post it here. Great question.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

We also looked into this when we spec'd out our new Mini-Pumper. I liked the idea, but after seeing one with them in it, we decided against them. It cuts down on the leg room for the rear passengers. We, instead, went with a bracket that mounts in the rear center of the cab. It mounts an SCBA on each side at an angle, so when the passengers are getting out, they just have to turn a little and either grab it or put it on.

We haven't received it yet, but we should take delivery next month.

I beleive the MFESB over here in Melbourne went down the path of using these in their Freightliners (I realise these are bigger and higher than the F series...) but went away from them.

I believe the problems arose with comfort over longer trips and also when they got to scene, if SCBA wasn't automatically donned, then they had to climb back into the truck to put it on then climb out again....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

FIRENRESQ77,
    That sounds like a very good idea. Could you elaborate a little more on what kind of truck yall are putting this on and where you found a bracket like this? Also did they have to modify the backseat when they did this? Thanks for the input.

It is going in a 2003 F-550. I believe we spec'd it with 2 single back seats and a storage compartment between them, and I think the bracket sits on the center "hump". I will see if I can find a pic of one and post it here.

Forum Member

All I can add is that on a 25 mile run, 10 miles on dirt road, SCBA seats area pain in the back.

Sleuth,

that was another reason why we didn't get them, especially in the officer's seat (along with the decreased leg room). We will be using this vehicle for our part-time personnel that work M-F 0800-1700, so we wanted it to be as comfortable as possible, especailly since we spend a good portion of the shift out on the road doing fire inpections and such.

Forum Member

Hey firenresq, who is making your mini-pumper and what are you going to call it? We are supposed to take delivery of one May 28. It is an E-One 2003 F-550 4 x 4 cab. 750 pump. We are going to use as a 1st out truck to go under railroad tracks. We still do not know what to call the truck.

Ours is being made by KME. We won't call it anything besides either 806 (or Medic 806 when utilized by the part-time crew).

We don't use "identifiers" like engine, squad etc. We have a numbering system to identify vehicles where the last number is coded as:

1- engine, 2- ladder, 3-back-up engine 4- ambulance, etc

6 is for our mini-pumpers

this was depabted before on here. some call them Mini XXX, others call them squad XXX or rescue XXX. It just depends on how it is supposed to be utilized.

Never used them but you may want to take a look at http://www.flamefighter.com/conversionkits.htm

They should at least be able to give you a list of any folks in your area using them.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

N2Dfire-

The mini-pumper I looked at had had these seats in it, and it still cuts down too much (IMHO) on the leg room. Especially if you have a long ride in it.

I was all for these type of seats (regular pack seats) when we did our specs, but then I saw the lack of leg room. Kinda opened my eyes a lot. Hopefully we'll be getting our truck soon, and we can see how well our solution is going to work for us.

Thread Information