Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Angry Oregon Road kills Utah Student

Oregon rollover claims BYU student

4 others on Frisbee team hurt after driver loses control of car
    By Tad Walch
    Deseret News staff writer

PROVO ó A Brigham Young University student was killed and four others injured in a one-car crash near La Grande, Ore.
    Carl Vance Randall, 26, was killed after he lost control of the 2003 Ford Expedition he was driving westbound on I-84 at about 5:30 p.m. on May 2. The vehicle rolled several times and came to rest upside down in an eastbound lane.
    Randall was pronounced dead at the scene, said Oregon State Police Lt. Reg Madsen.
    Randall and the other four students were members of BYU's unofficial Ultimate Frisbee team, the Disc Sports Club, and were traveling to Vancouver, B.C., to compete in regional playoff games.
    One of the passengers, Cornelius R. (Neil) Peterson, 23, was taken by helicopter to a hospital in Boise. He has recovered and is home in Blue Springs, Mo., said Adam Z. Taylor, who suffered a broken elbow and broken ankle in the crash.
    Taylor said Peterson plans to return to BYU for summer term.
    Taylor, 28, who graduated from BYU in zoology in April, said the other two students in the car were treated for bruised lungs and released. Brian M. Hartman, 19, is from University Place, Wash., and Walter Abe Gong, 21, is from Provo.
    Four other students were in another vehicle ahead of the Expedition and didn't learn of the crash for two hours, Taylor said. They drove back to be with their teammates at the hospital.
    Police have not determined a cause for the accident, Madsen said. An investigation continued Tuesday with troopers attempting to reconstruct the crash.
    Taylor said the group was listening to a CD of talks from the LDS Church's April general conference when the accident happened. He didn't know what caused Randall to lose control and overcorrect.
    Randall graduated from Timpview High School in 1995 and earned a degree in computer engineering from BYU in 2002. He was pursuing a master's degree in computer science and had been accepted into BYU's doctoral program in the same field.
    Randall's wife of three years, Amy Rhead Randall, 24, graduated from BYU in April with a degree in mechanical engineering. She is pregnant with the couple's second child. The first child is a daughter, Eliza.
    Randall was serving as the first counselor in the bishopric of the BYU 17th Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    Contributions can be made on behalf of Amy and Eliza Randall at any branch of the Utah Community Credit Union.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

I know that this is going to ruffle a few feathers, but I wanted to bring up a point on this story, that is related to some of the past conversations that we have had here.

First I'm not belittling these guys, it is sad and tragic what happen to them. But it seems ironic to me, that these guys sounded very religius, infact it sounds like at least one if not all of them where planing on serving god in there life, and they where listning to "talks from the LDS Church's April general conference" and this happens.

This sums up my feelings on religion and God. These guys where dedicating there lives to god, and "IF" god is real this is how he treats them, what is it some sort of test. I'm sorry even if there is a god, if this is something that he has control over, because he is all powerfull and all, I don't want to know him.

OK Rant over.

Back to the topic, it did not say in the story but I have to guess that they did not have seatbealts on, or at least they all did not, or I would not think that they would be this bad off.

Thread Information