NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - Monica Hayes lost virtually
everything she owned in a weekend fire that tore through her rented
mobile home. But if it wasn't for her dog, Hayes could have lost
Sassy, a 3-year-old Chihuahua, managed to rouse Hayes from a
deep sleep early Saturday morning. Hayes said she opened her
bedroom door and discovered flames and ske racing through the
"I wouldn't be alive today if not for my Chihuahua," said
Hayes, 36, who was alone inside the home. "I lost everything I
have except her."
Hayes' children, ages 10 and 11, were at their father's home
when the fire broke out, she said.
The North Fort Myers Fire Department determined the fire was
accidental, possibly caused by a burner on the electric stove being
left on. Hayes said she can't figure out how that would have
happened, because she only uses a microwave when she cooks.
Hayes does not have renters' insurance and only receives $545 in
monthly disability income. She's not sure where her next home is,
but she knows that Sassy is coming with her.
"I'd live on the streets before I'd leave my dog behind. ...
I'll never yell at her again for barking," Hayes said.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: OY Chihuahua
05-15-2003, 07:15 AM #1
OY ChihuahuaProudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones
*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
On the web at www.section2wildfire.com
05-15-2003, 09:52 AM #2
- Join Date
- Oct 1999
- Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas
Sounds like a fire we had a couple years back. The family pit bull woke up a girl as her bedroom caught on fire. House at the time had only one exit, through the bedroom that was on fire.NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)