Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default 400 acres of wooden pallets burn in El Paso, TX

A storage yard containing 400 acres of stacked wooden pallets burned in the Soccoro suburb of El Paso, TX. Five large propane cylinders stored in the yard exploded during the course of the incident. One structure is reported lost. This fire started last night and burned for about 12 hours, coming under control early Thursday morning. Luckily, no fatalities were reported.

(It was really quite impressive to see such a large pile of wooden pallets go up! So much for fire prevention...)
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Talk about a bon fire!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we once assisted another fire dept on about 50 pallets that caught on fire. that took awhile to put out. i feel for the firefighters at this one. hope they stay safe.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default WoW........

That was 400 ACRES, Right? Not 400 pallets, 400 Acres. That's what I thought you said.There was a 10 acre fire in Baltimore last year, Pallets, leaves, old utility poles, railroad ties, anything that could be turned into mulch was in one huge pile, and during the drought last summer, up it went. Smoked up the city for several days.... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Did anybody bring the marshmallows? 'Cuz it's going to be LONG night boys and girls.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I got the grahm crackers and hershey bars!

It was 400 acres! They lost a house and several outbuildings as well. Not much left after it was over with, just a lot of tired firefighters sifting through acres of ashes with shovels. I don't think it is possible to get enough water to even attempt to put out a fire like this.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

ive got the marshmellows!

Forum Member

Something about this story doesn't quite ring true.

Assume that the pallets are 3x3. 400 acres of pallets would have 1,936,000 pallets per layer.

Assume that the pallets are 4x4. 400 acres of pallets would have 1,088,800 pallets per layer.

Why would anyone have 10, 20 or 30 million (depending on how high they were piled) pallets laying around? Even the companies that make them and recycle them have inventory costs to consider. I'm getting a strong whiff of either bs or urban legend here.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Believe it or not but there is another one just like it down the road which has not burned yet. Well over a million pallets! They are basically a dumping ground for old pallets.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office

Here's the complete story...

Fire causes $1 million in damage

Tammy Fonce-Olivas
    El Paso Times

Mark Lambie / El Paso Times
    Socorro firefighters worked Thursday putting out hot spots from a fire at Ceasars Pallets, 12000 North Loop in Clint.

Magallanes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefighters spent Thursday extinguishing the remains of a blaze that ravaged a Socorro pallet company the night before, causing about $1 million in damage.

Lt. Mario Hernandez of the El Paso Fire Department said the fire was started by heat from machinery at Ceasars Pallets, 12000 North Loop, which ignited combustibles, possibly wooden shavings.

"According to the owner, there was about a million dollars in damage," Hernandez said.

The owner of the property, Eloi Carrete, couldn't be reached for comment.

Socorro Fire Chief Enrique Magallanes said he asked the El Paso Fire Department to investigate the fire because his department doesn't have investigators.

Magallanes, who was going on two hours of sleep on Thursday, spent most of the day alongside about 20 Socorro firefighters contending with high winds that swept into the region as they worked to extinguish hot spots that continued to flare up on the property. He even got a front-end loader to plow through the charred and smoldering debris.

The fire started after 7 p.m. Wednesday and ripped through about 400,000 pallets, an office building, at least a couple of trailers for semi-trucks, a delivery truck and portions of a two-story house on the property. Magallanes said 151 firefighters from eight departments responded to the fire, seven of whom suffered heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation.

And though the blaze was contained within the pallet company's property, the heat from the fire damaged a house across the street.

Frances Provencio, who lives at that house, said the heat charred her landscaping and part of her driveway, cracked windows and scared her three dogs. One of her dogs was still missing Thursday evening.

"The flames were really high. I thought the damage was a lot worse," Provencio said.

Provencio said she wasn't home when the fire started but learned about it shortly afterward from her husband.

Magallanes said the blaze was so out of control Wednesday night that instead of trying to extinguish it, firefighters decided to let it burn out and work to keep it from spreading to nearby properties.

"It was too hot. Some of the pallets that were burning were 20 feet high," he said.

Magallanes said firefighters tried to salvage the house on the property but that they couldn't because gases leaking from a propane tank adjacent to the house kept igniting and shooting flames toward the roof of the home.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office

Isnt it ironic. We do training fires all the time with pallets and hay, to which some guys say "this isn't true training, pallets and hay are never in a real fire"

Well, here yah go, a pallet fire

hmmmm, millions of dry chemical treated wood laying in a hot dry state such as TX, yea, thats not a fire hazzard

What really caught my attention about this fire, other than the sheer size of 400,000 burning pallets, was the name of the business - Ceasar's Pallets. It is really quite a creative name for such a large fire hazard.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office

the name of the business - Ceasar's Pallets
    You didn't happen to see a little guy in a toga playing a fiddle or violin nearby did you?

With that name, I just couldn't resist.

Stay safe all.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I bet there are some pic's out there of it, anyone know where they are?

Thread Information