Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Pagers at School

I was just wondering how many of y'all take y'alls pagers to school?

All the Jrs who can drive (all 1 of them) bring his to school, and leaves if there is a call, a big one or one where they need more manpower. I bring mine to school even thgough i dont drive. No one really cares, infact i'm at school typing this right now, and my pager went off last period and no one cared. The one person who gives me a hard time is the assistant princepal, when i asked her why i ouldn't have it, she stated "State law says you cant have cell phones or pagers in school cuz they can be used for drug's" i said, lady, listen, its an FD emergency pager. She doesnt care, i tihnk she forgot to remove the stick before she sat down so ne way i just keep my shirt over it when she's around.

This has been a debate that usually evolves into leaving school to respond and usually evloves into a flame war. All I will say is this.

Those that CAN leave school to respond... great. Obviously the dept and the school feels you are responsible enough and your department could sure use the man-power, whatever form it may be in.

Those that can NOT leave school but are allowed to carry the pager anyway... Do NOT let it distrupt you education. Do NOT leave school when you aren't supposed to so you can go to the big one. Whining and complaining about not being allowed to leave will get you nowhere. IT has been argued up and down and school always wins.

Those that are not allowed to carry pagers in school... Really, you are not missing anything. Life will go on even if you can't hear what is going on... you couldn't respond anyway.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thumbs down

I knew I would regret looking on the Explorer/Junior page, but here it is in a nut shell.

Originally posted by Kvfcjr
    even thgough i dont drive.
    ...or spell correctly, or use proper punctuation......

No one really cares, infact i'm at school typing this right now, and my pager went off last period and no one cared.
    Disruptions of other students, cruising the internet at school, believe me, people care. You call them "adults".

The one person who gives me a hard time is the assistant princepal, when i asked her why i ouldn't have it, she stated "State law says you cant have cell phones or pagers in school cuz they can be used for drug's" i said, lady, listen, its an FD emergency pager. She doesnt care, i tihnk she forgot to remove the stick before she sat down so ne way i just keep my shirt over it when she's around.
    In total, I count 16 spelling and punctuation errors in just this last paragraph. Along with the disrespect you show for your Assistant Principal, I would say there are a couple of good reasons for you NOT to leave school for responses.

Kvfcjr, take it from somebody who deals with both High School students, and training firefighters. Your entire concentration at school should be on your schoolwork (o.k., flirting with the opposite sex between classes). I'm not trying to tear you down, but understand that if you are looking for a job in the fire service, I wouldn't hire you.

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Fighting81st
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Since its brought up

I take mine every day and im not allowed to have it i leave it off cause i dont want to be kicked out of my department and have all the juniors after me cause they cant have pagers anymore. But i turn it on at the end of the day before the last bell rings. Stuff like that and we are never allowed to leave school for a fire call.

I see it starts again............

Worms all over the place..........

WHO OPENED THE CAN AGAIN?!?!?!

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I see it starts again............

Worms all over the place..........

WHO OPENED THE CAN AGAIN?!?!?!
    This is more of a worm hole that leads to black hole of stobe light, siren, and what are you alowwed to do discussions.

we cant have them on at school but we can bring them. i dont bring mine because i cant drive with out an adult.

My only reaction......

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Thumbs down OH NO, NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!

This horse is far beyond beaten to death...

You guys wanna see the resulting war that happened the last time this question was posted? Find the "Leaving School" thread on this forum, it's a couple pages back, I think. I'm also pretty sure it was spelled "Leaveing School", and misspelling that should be more than enough reason not to leave school or bring your pager!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Post I knew it

As others have said.....I knew I would regret reading this.

We have beat this poor horse to death and then drug it to the water, tried to make it drink so we could revive it and then found another horse of the same color to beat!!!!

Leave your pagers home and get your education. We have gone through this with several of you on this, and that subject become heated several times. Some of you...Dfdex1 for example took our advice and understands where we are coming from when we (old crusties) say...STAY IN SCHOOL AND GET YOUR EDUCATION!!

The fact remains that there will always be calls for you to run and in order for you to be successful in this business you need your education. It has to start in High School and then continue. For example in my department, to be a senior firefighter, one must possess an associates degree in Fire Science. With 32 years in this business I do not qualify because I did not get my degree (or finish it in this case). However in order to get into school and get a degree one must have the basic education first! Stay in school. Leave your pagers at home.....and SPELL CHECK!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I don't really see the point in this topic!

It seems pretty damn obvious to me- if you can't respond, then why carry it?

Even if you can respond, I'd certainly query where your priorities should be- education is far more important.

Ever been called a wanker?! Carry the pager because you have a reason to do it. Don't carry it for any other purpose. (Don't show off, don't disrupt class, don't use it as some sort of leverage to pick up a chick or a bloke, etc, etc )

As juniors/explorers you really need to think about your actions and how they are perceived by the senior members of your department, your peers, your teachers, etc- failure to do so automatically labels you as fools...
    Luke

I take mine to school( its a motorola advisor that my mom got me so she could get me if I'm not at home), because I can also have just about ever thing else at my school. In case any of you wonder were I go, I have to travel about 20 feet. I am homeschooled, but I ask a question, why do you need a pager in the first case?
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Originally posted by explr985
    {snip..)I am homeschooled, but I ask a question, why do you need a pager in the first case?
    Why do I need a pager? I dunno... Chief gave it to me my first night, said "sign these papers, if you break it, you buy it, here's how it works". If I stand outside my house and listen very very attentively, I can hear the siren that's mounted atop the firehouse when it goes off... but very rarely am I standing quietly in front of my house listening attentively.

My pager stays in my car when I'm at school. I go to school too far away to do much good if we get a call anyway. I do, however, carry my phone and GSAR pager. My principal, parents, ground team leader, and I have all signed an MOU allowing me to miss/leave school without consequence if my ground team is called out on a USAF assigned search and rescue mission. Hasn't happened yet, but there's still 4 days of school left .

Someone already said it... if you can get out, go ahead. If you can't... what's the point?

Forum Member

Originally posted by SARfreak

Hasn't happened yet, but there's still 4 days of school left .

Wow I wish I went to school where you did! We still have another month until finals start! ouch!

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry an Alpha Numeric pager, and it notifies me of incidents. However I leave it on silent mode, and only check it during breaks. This way I at least know whats going on, but it does not disrupt my education. If I asked the teachers to leave to go to a fire they would probably laugh in my face.

If you can't leave school but carry a pager with you during the day because you are afraid you will miss something, here's an idea...just ask someone if there were any calls during the day.

It is quite obvious that some of you juniors/explorers/whatever need to concentrate on your education first. If you carry your pager but cannot leave, then it is just a distraction to you and everyone else around you.

As many of you know, I used to be a junior...so don't look at me like I am an old man who doesn't understand. I've been in your shoes before, except I knew (and still know) how to spell and use proper grammar!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

why do you need a pager in the first case?
    So we know when theres a call maybe?

We're tlaking about fire dept. pagers, not paging pagers

Lightbulb OK Young Buckaros

Like everyone had said before you should stay in school... there is always goin to be another fire call again that you can go to... However when i was a Jr. i wasnt allowed to bring my pager to school but i did for one reason.... my mother is very sick and if there is the need for BLS and ALS to respond to my house they would need lifting asst. so they call the fire company and in that case i would leave school... Now that im 18 and a Sr. Firefighter i take my pagers to school(i.e. Fire Pager, Ambulance Pager). and i drive so if there is a call i leave and respond to the station or if its before the station i roll right there... thanks i hope you young ones learn and think about what you are doing... i mean its great that you guys wanna help your town or whatever but do it on your tyme if you aint a Sr. Firefighter where you can do something rather then sitting on the front of the bumpper of the engine....

Thanks FF Rich

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information