Forum Member

Default Toyne Fire Apparatus

Anyone out there have any experience with Toyne Fire Apparatus out of Iowa??? Specing a new first out medium commercial pumper and they just expanding into our region.

Toyne Fire Apparatus:

Toyne Fire Apparatus has been producing custom fire apparatus since 1942. Toyne is a family owned business where each unit is built with quality and craftsmenship. They build the type of apparatus "you" want or need not a unit that fits someone elses production schedule. Each unit is designed, engineered, and built to meet your specifications. Each and every unit is built in Breda Iowa, not offsite then finished like some.

It is not uncommon to see departments with nothing but Toyne units, why because the way they service not only their apparatus but their customers as well. You are never a stranger at Toyne Fire Apparatus.

Toyne is becoming a house hold word in markets such as Michigan, Indiana, and Illinios. This success hinges on quality and pricing. Toyne is not a "LOW" bid cookie cutter builder.

Additional information can be found on thier web site at www.toyne.com. Also the truck built in 1942 is still operational today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up toyne

The W.C.F.D. (my department)has just approved and ordered a Toyne unit with a Spartan chassis. We found that Toyne was quite receptive to our needs. Because corosion has been a problem for us, Toyne's marine grade stainless steel sub-frame and stainless bodies seems to be the best answer to our needs. What was also pretty cool, is there schedual 40 stainless plumbing, everyone else we talked to would only give us schedual 10.

We also found Toyne to be quite price competttive. While they where not as cheap as some they did not overprice us either. This is do to the fact I think that they have alot of standard items that other manufacturers charge mor for eg, LED tail and marker light lighting, stainless valves, FRC pressure Govenour, just to name a few.

I am not quite sure what your department is looking for, but I would highly recommend sitting down and meeting with these guys. The people at Toyne are great to work with and quite knowledgeable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Highly recommend them!

We have 3 trucks made by them, and they have done a good job for us! They offer excellent service both before and after the sale. I have no problem standing behind them, as they have stood behind what they have sold us, and resolved issues as they have come up. I think they are a great company to do business with, and will work with you. Good luck with the new truck.
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Our fire department recently purchased a pumper and light rescue from Toyne. This is of particular importance since our department had all Pierces prior to this purchase.

Our department prequalifies builders prior to bid and if the manufacture does not meet our level of quality a bid is rejected from that bidder.

During this process we found that the Toyne apparatus was of the quality and strength of the Pierce's we had purchased over ten years ago. The company as it stands now no longer has the quality, in our opinion, and it appears that Pierce now is into a lower quality quick build truck.

Working with Toyne allowed us to get more truck than we were anticipating and the salesman gave us some great ideas. We found that not only was the truck built on time and under budget but we also found the fit and finish to be top notch. The people at the factory were great.

I should note that the Toyne was not the lowest priced but it was not the highest. It ended up in the middle of the pricing pack.

I would definetly recommend this truck to any department.

Thumbs up Toyne Fire Apparatus

I recently saw the Toyne engine that was displayed at Fire Expo in Harrisburg PA. The workmanship and design in that engine was very appealing, looks to be a fine product.

I did some homework on Toyne Fire Apparatus and if you want to question the durability contact the cities of Des Moines IA or Omaha NE as they both use this fine product. Toyne also seems to be the type of family run company that would not only supply the major city, but work very well with the small volunteer department with the same commitment. With the end result being a top of the line piece of apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I have no experience with Toyne Fire Apparatus. I think this is the first thread I have ever seen that everyone feels that this manufacture is of good quality and would recommend them. Most other threads I have read, have about 50/50 on good and bad comments or experiences with the manufacture. Whether its Pierce, E-one, Lafrance, Stephens etc. This is the first time I have seen such high praise from every one who posted. My congratulation to Toyne Fire Apparatus.

Forum Member

WSFD just got a new engine from them that will go into service this week. I will listin to see what the ff think.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Not trying to imply anything here, but doesn't it seem strange that:

There have been 7 "replies" to the original post (not counting my reply).

4 out of the 7 replies sound like sales pitches..............

3 out of those 4 that sound like sales pitches, are all by newly registered users, where this was their first an only post....... All of those sounding like sales pitches have less than 25 total posts....

If you are a salsman for a company, let everyone know that. That has been an issue on here before...........

When people are loking for opinions from firefighters, that's exactly who they want them from. People who actually use the equipment. I personally don't want to hear a sales pitch. I can get one of those from every company out there and every one of them will tell me that their product is best. I want actual opinions, not something someone is getting a commision for......
    Last edited by firenresq77; 05-31-2003 at 12:21 AM.

dazed and confused

I had noticed and wondered the same thing... no disrespect of course. I'm probably just being too suspicious.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

I didn't want to say anything but I noticed to.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Wink Another Possibility?

I agree it's suspicious but maybe there's another reason they're all new posters. People in companies that have Toyne apparatus mya really like it and have been seeting back laughing at the tit for tat areguments everyone else has about what's better, Seagrave, ALF, Pierce....... Maybe now they feel like they've been invited in since someone brought up the equipment they like? Also, on the other side, nobody has posted with a dislike of Toyne. Every other thread about an apparatus quickly gets negatives as fast or faster than positives. So maybe everyone like Toyne once they find it.

Just my thoughts but..............

Forum Member

I have fought fire on many different firetrucks.
    E-One, FMC, Mack, Pierce, Sutphen, and even a Boardman, can even name the brand from a block away or more sometimes, but I have never heard of Toyne. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.

Forum Member

That was also the other thing that made me wonder about all this....... I have NEVER heard of this company, and we just went through the process of bidding out for a new mini-pumper and I did EXTENSIVE research on the web, looking at multiple types of vehicles, and still have never heard of this manufacturer.....

dazed and confused

In all fairness, there are probably many small apparatus manufacturers that most of us have probably never heard of. Local service, truly custom manufacturing, and local know-how are several things they have in their favor. One such from my area is Emergency Vehicles of Maine. Yes, they are dealers for Ferrara, but they also build their own.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I have to 2nd (3rd?, 4th?) the sales pitch thing. Even if y'all aren't, the method of writing suggests it, which is why some of us are suspicious.

On the flip side, I perused the site completely, and they make trucks, some quite different from the norm, and if that's what people want, then good for them for offering it. I did find it amusing that the American LaFrance aerial that they "built" said nothing about ALF chassis, the aerial or anything. All the rest mentioned chassis, but that's all Spartan, Ford, and International do, so it's not like they are in competition.

I'm sure the trucks are built well, they wouldn't make it too long if they weren't. They've obviously worked with their customers to get them exactly what was wanted, so kudos to them for that. But as small as the internet makes the world seem, they are in one spot according to what I found on the web site. That makes it quite difficult to have local service done when they are all in another state and the truck needs to get fixed now. Regardless of the name badge on a truck, they all need service at some point or another, and that's where customers are gained or lost. I'm sure if they stick with it and keep doing what they're doing to make themselves successful, eventually they will spread out a little more.

But as was mentioned, sales pitches don't belong here.

Stay safe on the big red machines.

Forum Member

I understand about the small manufacturers. In fact I looked into MANY of them when doing my research. I have heard of the one you mentioned, Resq14. I know there's probably others out there, but this whole thread just seemed hoakie to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hokie or is it Hokey??? Either way thats a good word....
    I just did a search on the www and found their web site. It's www.toyne.com. They are located in Iowa and have it says they have been in business since 1942. It has a list of about 20 recent deliveries. I am not a SALESMAN nor do I know anything about the trucks they build.

Forum Member

I think the one you are talking about is Hokey, mine is Hokie....... Means the same, just different.

I looked at their site also, but I had just never heard of them until this thread was posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea I think it's all the same Hokie is Hokey.... The website looked pretty good but you can make can make anything look good on the net.

Forum Member

In regards to the hokey-ness, one of the first posts sent me an email that he was a Toyne dealer. The other oddity is that I actually got a response on the subject. Posted a thread a few weeks ago looking for info on Spencer Manufacturing out of Michigan and did not get any replies. I think the small regional companies are worth looking into because they have to be building a decent product or they would not be in business. My department, before my time, bought one of the first Pierces in Western Pennsylvania when they were barely known outside of WIsconsin.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply!!
    Be safe, Dan

Forum Member

I'm not trying to deny that they might make a good product. My issue is that there were so many posts about them that sounded like sales pitches, and most of those posts were from people who had made these their first posts.

It seemed like someone went and made the various user names to make it appear that they were from a fire department with apparatus by Toyne, when, IMHO, I believe it was actually one of the salesman or someone from the company who made up the usernames so they could pretend to be a firefighter, to spread the name of their company.

IF THIS IS THE CASE, and I stress that because I have no way of knowing for sure, that is a dirty salesman/spokesperson for the company. As I said earlier, people come on these forums to get opinions from OTHER FIREFIGHTERS (people who actually use the equipment and can give HONEST opinions), not from salesman. We can get the sales pitches from the salesman themselves or from a brochure. And if I was the one looking for opinions and a salesman did this to me, I would seriously start to question the companies integrity. No, the company may not have done this themselves, but their employees are representatives for the company, and it would make me question what kind of other games they may play. I stress again, this is just my opinion on the situation, and if I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Bottom line........ If you are a salesman of a product, and someone asks an opinion of the product you sell (or a competitor), and you give your input, YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU MAKE EVERYONE AWARE THAT YOU ARE A SALESMAN/EMPLOYEE OF XYZ COMPANY. You need to do this by POSTING it in the thread and not by emailing the original poster, because many people who may be looking for info later will do a search through these forums and have no way of knowing that you are a salesman without it being in the posts. You also need to make sure that you are giving FACTUAL information only, or state that it is your opinion, because every salesman will tell you that his product is best, but we want to know WHY you think it is the best. I have seen many of the salesmen post on these forums, and the majority of the GOOD ones will state that they are a salesman for XYZ company or they will, at the very least, put it in their signature their name and the company they work for.

Forum Member

jmerrill -

I totally agree with you. You need to do your homework before buying an apparatus. I contacted many companies to get information about the vehicle we were looking for. My whole goal when working on this committee was to spec the truck how we wanted it and to get bids from as many companies as possible and to just ensure that we were getting a quality piece that was made the way WE wanted it to be made. We ended up getting ours from KME. When we replaced an engine 2 years ago, I believe that committee did the same thing, and what you were saying about Pierce is true. Their bid was nowhere near what our spec was. There were many many exceptions to our spec. THey did what you said. They submitted a bid for the truck they wanted us to buy, not the truck we wanted.

As in anything, you just have to do your research and get what suits your department and what will work best for your department.

Forum Member

Jmerrill?

That would be Joe Merrill your local Toyne Fire Apparatus dealer for Michigan out of Alpena, MI.

Go figure. Another sales pitch. Maybe his own department bought a Toyne through him?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

jmerril....

You are entitled to an opinion...but we are also entitled to know that you are a Toyne sales representative.. You have admitted as much, but only after being called on it by some one that knows who you are. It has been discussed many times on the forums and in fact reps of fire equipment companies have been warned by the web team for posting "sales pitches" about their product lines.

Perhaps your opinion would not now be viewed as tainted if you had told the whole story up front. You know, how you became interested in Toyne when your FD purchased one and because of your opinion of the company you now sell for them.

By the way, I am not a sales rep for anything or anyone...I am a firefighter.

FyredUp

Thread Information