Forum Member

Question How do you deal with this?

This question occurred to me while on a ride along recently and I have to ask........

What do you do if you are out on a call such as a auto accident on the highway or a fire and nature calls! Seriously, what would you do?!?!?

I know this is kind of an odd question. But I would rather ask this here, than have it actually happen to me sometime in the future and not know what I should do.

Darcy

MembersZone Subscriber

10-50's I just hold it, it sucks, but that's usually how it goes. 70's are a different story... When we get a big or long fire the neighbors/other businesses let us use their facilities.

MembersZone Subscriber

SeaFoam hit it on the head. Firefighters tend to have large bladders!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Permanently Removed

I bet its even worse when yer on the hose line!

MembersZone Subscriber

Funny story comes to mind here:

Several years ago my department responded to a large fuel spill at a gasoline tank farm. We were on the scene, needless to say, for a long time waiting for the vacuum truck to come and clean up the spill. The incident scene was along side a highway that had railroad tracks running nearby. We had an ambulance there "just in case", and to act as a rehab unit. The ambulance was crewed by a couple of female EMT's.

After a couple of hours on scene without relief, "Mary" was feeling some discomfort! She decided that she just couldn't wait any longer, and crossed over into the narrow brushy area between the road and the railroad tracks, seeking a little privacy. Her next problem was the one-piece squad suit that she was wearing! Anyway, after peeling off the squad suit and commencing to go about her business, what happened? A passenger train came by, illuminating her in the full glare of the headlight! The engineer even blew the air horn!

Anyway, a little while later we had one of the police officers walk over to where "Mary" was standing in a group of other firefighters, and had him ask if anybody knew what happened, saying that the CSX dispatcher called the police to complain that they were holding up railroad traffic because someone "mooned" one of their trains, and if it was safe to let traffic through now!

Anyway, this incident is now famous as the one where "Mary Mooned the Train"!

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a funny story....Poor Mary!

usually, if it's a big job, and the adrenaline is flowing, i usually just forget about having to go. until i get back to quaters, and my bladder pretty much explodes.
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

Have someone "spray" u with the hose if u really have to do, and while ur outside is soaked let it rip ya no that would be nasssssty, id say hold it till u cant hold it no more.
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

why don't you just put out the fire?

with the urin? killing two birds with one stone!

- Thomas Edison

IACOJ BOD

to the Wannabe twins.

Think Burns

Think PAIN

Think.

best thing to do is hold it. ****ing on fire isnt a good idea.

Forum Member

Hold it, find a tree, or if you are fortunate enough to have a walkin rescue invest in a small portable camping toliet.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know, in ten years I have never really thought about it. I have never had the urge to go while on scene. Now that I have replied to this thread, it will probably happen on my next shift.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by Duffman
    Now that I have replied to this thread, it will probably happen on my next shift.
    My thoughts exactly!

Forum Member

Default mental control? :D

In the country is easy "put out the fire", in town and city is better not to. Primary, but not only, for our public image, of course: try then to rummage to look for arson evidences.

Anyway, I also if in need usually forget till we come back. Only one or two guys are usually in trouble, and a girl. But they all are able to wait, or get a bar. If the rescue take a short time...

This is one of the most common worldwide ff problems

ciaoooo

Forum Member

Once while we were out on a large fuel spill on the expressway at night. I had to go so I just hopped over the guard rail and went down an embankment and took care of my buisness. Also, was at a house fire one time doing salvage and overhaul, the fire was mostly out but still smoky and had SCBA's on. My partner had to go real bad,(I'm talking #2 here), so while still wearing his SCBA he used the home's bathroom. I was waiting out in the hallway LMAO while he went! He still hasn't lived it down completely.

ROTFLMAO!!!! but not quite so much, my @$$ is still there...

- Thomas Edison

MembersZone Subscriber

This is why you always make a pit stop before leaving the house on a call. YOu never know how long you are going to be out.

Permanently Removed

Pit stop?, hell, i'm out the door before the tones even done!, lol

MembersZone Subscriber

There was a story back at my old Volly department about the house fire they lost the chief at. This was back in the days of rubber coats, pull up boots and no SCBAs, so no bulky encumbrences. The chief went into the house for a size up while the crew was stretching the lines. When he never came back they rushed in to find him in mid "number-two" with the fire burning two rooms down.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

#1--Side of the road tree facility

#2--Squeeze really hard

"When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Lightbulb Porta-Potty

I know a few Fire Departments that have Porta-Pottys on trailors, for big incidents. Hook up the Chiefs truck to the trailor, and Walla.... Problem Solved!

Forum Member

Default interseting...

Firefighting, school of life...
    boys, you are wonderful !
    ciao

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

There have been one or two occasions where the problem has kind of popped it's head up. Each time was while running out the door to the station, but in all cases (so far ) it took care of itself by being forgotten as soon as I put the key to the door of the Station.

On the return to though.. thats a different matter, and a good thing that we have two bathrooms. Cuz it would get real crowded in there.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information