Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Ciao from Italy!

Hello everybody!

My name Marco, volunteer from 1983 in volunteer fire department of San Giovanni in Persiceto near Bologna city, Italy (25.000 inhabitants, 500 rescues/year - no EMS). My degree is "caposquadra", maybe your "liutenent"? Everyway, I master the team (well, I try, have some wild guys here... ).

To live I work as software consultant, but I love to be a firefighter ("pompiere").

I like your forums a lot, I learn a lot of things from your discussion. I am mainly surprised that we share a very similar culture, problems, tricks, feelings.

If somebody wants some news about Italy firefighting, can find me here. And sorry for my english.

Ciao, marco

Greetings from the USA. I hope you succeed in your aspirations.

ciao' Brother in Italia

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Welcome to firehouse . My girlfriend is in Italy this week,
    she says it is wonderfull . It is good to have your input.

Patrick ---- Havana Florida VFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Welcome

Very interesting.
    I thought all of Europe were paid. Now I see an Italian Volunteer.
    Wonder if it is same culture as US vol.'s?

Have a nice day and hope you keep Firehouse as your main web site.

Thumbs up Europe, a lot of volunteers

Thank you for your welcome!

Some info: in Italy we have a national corp, with 60.000 (about) payed and 4.000 volunteer. We are an exception: in all Europe (and in the autonomous area of italian Trentino region) the 90% of firefighters are volunteers. Swiss hasn't payed ff at all.

I read a lot in your books and web sites (wonderful Firehouse!), and met a brother in Kayenta (AZ) last year: yes, we share a very very similar culture, in firefighting in general, and particularly as volunteer, as well as for payed ff. I didn't expect, and I am very glad.

There are differences, of course: one main difference I can see from here is that it seems that we have not so much big fires and risks like you, maybe for our houses are made with bricks, not wood (never seen a backdraft). And so on...

Ciao, stay safe

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

ciao , welcome to the forums.hows the weather over there?

Ciao e benvenuto ai fourms del firehouse, come sono le cose in Italia?

Hi, friends.
    Very very happy to receive your messages.

Engine, the weather is mad, sun for weeks, then 2 strong storms with ice hail, flood and fallen trees and so on for two days. Nothing comparable with your tornados, of course, but a lot of work for us.

Tiller, sono felice di sapere che la nostra lingua Ť ancora parlata nel tuo paese, e meglio di quanto io parlo l'inglese. Comunque per i vigili del fuoco qui in Italia non va bene (niente risorse), soprattutto per i volontari (i sindacati ci stanno uccidendo, e noi siamo pochi. );
    (Translation: Tiller, happy to know our language is still spoken in your country, better than I speak english. However for firefighters in Italy things aren't going well (no resources), particularly for volunteers (paid unions's are killing us, and we are few))

How is the weather there? And rescues?

ciao!

"things aren't going well (no resources), particularly for volunteers (paid unions are killing us, and we are few)"

Is this a universal theme? How do your volunteer services work out that way? Many here are completely volunteer where others are paid by the call or paid by the hour someone is on a call. With the cost of living, so many people are working way too much and haven't the energy to devote to volunteer efforts like once before. I'm as guilty as the next with that.

Wish I knew more Italian, but I'm pretty limited to "pizza"

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Hi Marco, welcome aboard and greetings from another member of the International Crew from over the 'Pond'. Nearly made it to Italy two years ago when I toured Germany on the bike. We were hoping to visit the Ducati factory but time was against us and the beer kept us in Germany.
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
    www.sprinkle2.homestead.com

Thread Information