Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Big is your's?

Just curious but how many Sq Miles are all of the other Fire Districts in IL. Here in Farina we have coverage for around 70sq. miles and run about 50-55 calls per year. On the same note the Volunteer ambulance service hits around 100-150 runs per year. Also we are lucky (?) to have about 10 miles of Interstate 57 run right through our district.

I know if sounds pretty small compared to some but how big is your's?

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Codeblue, you' not too far away from me. Good to see another Southern Illinoisian here. Won't be long and the Southern Delegation will be bigger than the Northern.
    We're about 94 square miles, 8 miles of interstate 64, 20 miles of RR. Run about 150 calls a year, 110 of which are EMS 1st Responder and the rest fires, wrecks, getting cats and cows out of wells, etc.
    You guys get a lot of interstate calls? I know that Jefferson Fire District out of Mt. Vernon are out there all the time. We may get only 15 a year on I64.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default I thought I was looking in a mirror.

Codeblue:
    You pretty much hit our district with your description. We are 62 sq. miles. We run about 50 - 55 calls a year. Ambulance is about 250, though. We cover I-74 from the 28-1/2 mile marker to the 40 mile marker. We have a couple of pretty good size tanks of annhydrous during season. Also some LPG. Seed corn plant. Mostly rural. Older downtown area all attached to each other. Bedroom community.
    Just your typical small town.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Wow I didn't know there we so many Farina's around the state

Both of your towns sound exactly like mine. We run maybe 10-12 10-50s on I-57 per year. We also have the local Equity with several thousand gallons of Anhydrous and propane along with the ICG RR going straight through the district. We actually cover 2 "towns" on being around 800ppl and the other around 400. But, we cover tons of field acres and back roads. And like most small, rural towns we're starting to see the meth labs pop up.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

www.helpingourown.com

Hey there guys,
    Well here in Erie (northern IL) we cover 120 sq miles, have 12 1/2 miles of interstate 88, have railroad going right through town and have the rock river south of town. We also have the Quad City Nuclear Plant in neighboring district. We do a lot of mutual aids to neighboring districts. We have approx 3000 people in our district. Our fire dept usually run 100 calls a year (our year is nov-nov) however this year we are already sitting on 94 calls and have 5 months to go! Our ambulance service runs usually 250 calls or so. If you are ever in the area stop by and visit!
    Last edited by lilyogi; 05-23-2003 at 12:42 AM.

24 square miles w/ over 30,000 people. We're on track for 3,000 calls this year.

Forum Member

We cover about 80 sq. miles in LaSalle County, with a Excelon (Com-Ed) nuclear generating station with 2 reactors, a chemical plant, and a fertilizer plant within our district. We also cover about 7 miles of I-80, 7 miles of Illinois River, including the lock and dam, and the railroad runs through town with the stuff for the factories being hauled in and out. We also seem to have a lot of businesses whose sole purpose seems to be "turning big S%$t into little S%$t." By this I mean that they do grinding and chopping of various things like tires and tree bark. We run about 150-200 calls per year, mostly 10-50's. This year was a bad year for grass fires, so our call volume is up some. Our population is about 4000 in town, and about 2500 rural.
    Last edited by jstafrftr; 05-20-2003 at 11:03 PM.

Forum Member

We are about 30 sq miles, in two counties, we border the Rock River, and have several lakes. We have the biggest State Park in the area.

We run about 300-350 calls per year, no medical.

Our local ambulance runs about 2800.

Population is about 19500
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

We cover 98sq miles, mostly rural that covers parts of 3 counties. We have about 1800 people. We have a large farm co-op as well as a distribution area for anhydrous. We have Yellow Creek disect the district which normally isn't a problem. However we've experienced major flooding from the creek 4 times since 2000. We also have a medium size campground. We border Lena fire district which has the busy, 2 lane(that is a whole different story)rte 20 and a new ethanol plant both 6 miles away Our call volume is 60 fire-which includes good intent, 10-50s, and several grass fires a year. Our ILS(soon to be downgraded to BLS because of the new curriculim) ambulance does another 95 calls a year.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Howdy Neighbor! In Sandoval we cover about 109 square miles for fire and about 120 for ambulance and cover parts of Marion and Clinton counties. We do about 60 fire calls a year which includes any type of fire, 10-50s, rescue, service, etc. and we do about 600 ambulance which includes 911 and medical transfers. Total population covered around 4000. Nice to hear from somebody right next door. If you are ever heading to Centralia or Salem stop by!

Approx. 5 square miles. 18,000 population. 2000 runs

Chad, my daughter is moving to Centralia from Carbondale at the end of July-she already spends her weekends there. She's been an EMT for 2+years, any openings?
    Yes, she deserted the northern climate for your southern weather---and a man

Default pcfdcap1

Sorry about the loss of your daughter. I'm dreading the future when my daughters move on. Hope they don't meet anyone like me!

As far as openings go, Centralia has a full time ambulance service, Lifestar. I think they are usually always hiring. Seems like I see a new face everytime we pick up an ALS intercept. There are several others in the area. Marion County EMS and Salem Area Ambulance both located in Salem/Odin. They seem to hire regularly. My wife has relatives working for Marion County EMS. Of course we could always use her in Sandoval! Never can have enough EMT's on the department!

By the way, is she an SIU-C alumni? I'm a Saluki alumni myself.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

NOOOO!! NOt Salem Area. Oh....did I say that out loud?? Sorry but I just don't get along with the owner....and come to think of it alot of his employees don't either LoL.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

www.helpingourown.com

By the way, is she an SIU-C alumni? I'm a Saluki alumni myself.
    Not yet Chad. She's somewhere around a 3 year student. She is in the middle of a decision to continue criminal justice degree or to pursue a nursing degree at Kaskaskia College.
    Right now, she's working at a restauant in Marion, Hardly enough pay to commute from Centralia. Of course, living with her man might not last either Stay tuned

MembersZone Subscriber

We cover about 3 sq miles . 12000 people and about 2300 calls fire,rescue,hazmat,technical rescue. We have midway airport 5 min from us ,railroad going through from all directions you name it it comes through .We cover I55 from Route 45 to cicero. With 7 schools in town.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

My goodness, Cap, your daughter and mine are two of a kind. She just finished EMT-B, she's even got 3 or so years college under her belt, moved out, moved back in, moved out, moved back in, got a job not in EMS, can't afford to move out again.
    Chad, look what you've got coming at you in a few years.
    Centralia is a nice place, closer to DuBois than Carbondale. I know of a guy on our dept. that finished EMT and went to work at Lifestar full time right away. I've heard Benton is hiring EMTs, too. 24 on, 48 off. She might look into that. It's a pretty good drive from Centralia, but only a couple times a week.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Yeah Mercy Regional In Benton and Buckner is hiring too. The owner of my part-time job is the one that started the service there. Before anyone takes a job there ask to go through the quarters. It might make you change your mind.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

www.helpingourown.com

codeblue81, let me just say that I do not endorse ANY of the private ambulance services in our area. I don't work for them and don't get involved with them unless we request ALS and that's all I've got to say about that! (I didn't say that out loud either!) Just letting pcfdcap1 know what was available.

Jack, I'm throwing all my kids out of the house at 16! That is if my wife lets me back in!

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Chad,
    I know what you mean. In all honesty both services pay "decent". The only complaint that I have is with the owners.....but then again most service owners are alike

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

www.helpingourown.com

Thread Information