Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: New here

Default New here

hi all!! this is my first post here! anyways, im not quite on any fire department yet, but the day i turn 16, im joining the little rock fox fire protection district...i already help out and know everyone up there, most of my friends are already firefighters...its a small volunteer department in millbrook...i also plan on taking a few fire science classes during high school(im 14 and a freshman now, my b-day is in august)....and plan on making firefighting my major/career...full time and then a part time mechanic in my off time...i have alot of mechanic experience with dirt bikes, atvs, and cars and trucks....just wanted to say hi and thank everyone is who is a firefighter! its a tough job but im glad there is people that want to do it

Hello there. It is great to see that I'm not the only one who wants to be a firefighter. Welcome to the forums. I'm not volunteer,but I am an explorer. Good luck in the future.

awesome...im not sure what an explorer is, but thats cool...once i join i will be a cadet til 18, then considered a fire fighter....my next question is...what classes should i focus on during high school? i am going to take Fire Fighter II next year, and take a class for Fire Science which I will become an EMT-B senior year...but should i focus on science and math courses, or what should i focus on...

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

welcome to the forums, im a 16 year old cadet. firefighting is a wonderful thing its cool that yall want to join the fire dept. you should focus on math and science. fire science is a college course you can take.and from what im reading it looks like your saying take fire science to get your emt-b. if thats true that not what happens you have to take an emt-b class to get certified to become an emt-b.

Default oppsy

sorry if i was unclear...basically, duriong junior and senior year, we can take a multitude of classes outside of school, but during school hours and they count as school credits...but they have a class called Fire Science and its taught at a place called indian valley vocational center, which is a little place that teaches juniors and seniors basics of different careers...and the first year(junior) they teach ifsta standards, etc....and the second year(senior) they teach EMT-B, and u can become certified as an EMT-B(or so they say)....and then in college i will prlly take Fire Science, a different one from the one they teach at IVVC....the one at ivvc is different from the one at colleges...hope that helps

Welcome to firehouse

Default Good luck

Welcome aboard.

We had the fire science programs in Virginia School System also. Worked really well. We had a lot of people who were in it that went on to become career firefighters or who stayed just on the volunteer side.

If you can become involved in an Explorer Program (it is part of Boy Scouts of America) it will be great because in most cases they teach you CPR, First Responder and also compete in Explorer Competitions. Helps you build character and also helps you decide if this is what you want to do for sure. In most places after an explorer reaches certain training requirements they can ride as observers.

Some friendly advice. Read these forums and learn from us who have been there and done a lot of things. Learn from our mistakes and events that we have participated in. Do not make the mistake of thinking that because you read this stuff you become an expert. Think about things that you need to know and ask well thought out questions (not questions like..."How many red lights should I put on my car?") and pay attention to the answers that they give. Folks oin here like Engine101 Ladycapn, NJFFSA16, CaptainGonzo, Stayback500ft, Adze39, E229Lt, ChiefReason, GeorgeWendtCFI, Hwoods (I am sure I missed a few) will all provide you with edcuated answers and help you in any way they can...

Also...in today's fire service world you will go no place without an education and that includes college. Lastly, in the trend of the fire service today, you would be well advised to continue on to paramedic after you get EMT. Paramedics are in demand...especially since 75-85% of what we do is EMS.

Again...Good luck...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Welcome aboard! A great many people get started here with the love of fire stuff, and I am partly guilty of that too. Whether staying EMT Basic or going higher as a FF/Intermediate or Paramedic, you as a firefighter will at times be taking the engine or rescue to a medical call. You want to be the best EMT possible when you show up to that call first, as it can be a friend or family member needing that attention. For this reason alone, I totally advocate using the public school system completely while still part of it. Take as much Math, applied Math too, ENGLISH of all things, Biology & Chemistry, and I really recommend Anatomy & Physiolgy, as that will help prepare you for EMT. You won't ever go wrong taking fire courses prior to entering a degree program in college. As your enthusiasm builds in the next few years, please be careful not to get caught up in the idea that you might get a fire service job right out of high school with the certifications you might get. College is the way to go, and its popularity is always increasing. Finish school, all of the other classes you want to take, and get into college to do what you decide is for you in a few years. Take care, and have some fun!

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

Thread Information