Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question USAR & DMAT in Illinois?

I heard Illinois chose not to receive funding to start USAR Teams and a DMAT teams. Instead, state teams performing the same functions were preferred. One idea was the state did not want the teams to be federal. Another one was they did not want to join in MO-1 DMAT. I am happy teams and more help will come, but I do not see why not use the formula which has worked nationally. The federal teams train with other regional teams across the country, deploy with other regions and function the same as other regions. I think operationally and logistically that is ideal during a large incident.
    It is less efficient to have teams possibly working on a large scale, which donít train together or operate frequently together. It can be done, but not as efficient. It this another case of the state of Chicago running amuck.

The way I heard the story, the Chicago fire commissioner at the time(not sure who, but not the current one) shot down the idea of a USAR team. The reason I heard was the same, they didn't want it to have any federal control. Hizzoner the mayor likes control. Of, course the federal dollars would have been nice. The feds don't throw a lot of money to the fire service and are getting stingier all the time. (see the editorial in the new Fire Engineering, sorry FH.com)
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The word is no additional federal USARs or DMATs and the present time. They are going to properly equip the existing ones. Feds must be trying to dump all the money available for the FEMA fire grants. Chicagoís choice still does not explain why can't the Task Force reside somewhere else like Springfield or the Chicago suburbs. So much for the concept, providing the people the best service.

MembersZone Subscriber

The MO1-DMAT(Missouri Disaster Medical Team) is interested in forming an Illinois division. The division would be a subgroup of the team. The division could centrally meet in Illinois and respond to distant incidents collectively. Advantages of the NDMS(National Disaster Medical System:

You are paid (personally) when activated for a federal deployment.
    You are considered a federal employee when on the clock.
    Training is to a national standard in EMS, communication, IMS and other areas.
    Training occurs with other National Teams.
    DMAT and US&R will deploy jointly in future events.
    Federal government resupplies the teamís cache of equipment and resources.
    The team receives annual funding from Homeland security.
    Deployment range from natural disaster to community events domestic and international.

The EMS Region is interested in having an Illinois Division in the MO1 DMAT.
    Benefits:

You are paid when activated for a federal deployment.
    You are considered a federal employee when on the clock.
    Training is to a national standard in EMS, communication, IMS, Hazmat and other areas.
    Training occurs with other National Teams.
    DMAT and US&R will deploy jointly in future events.
    Federal government re-supplies the teamís cache of equipment and resources.
    The team receives annual funding from Homeland Security.

Deployment have ranged from natural disaster to community events:
    Scott AFB Air Show, World Trade Center Disaster, 2002 Winter Olympics, 2003 Strassenfest, Rib Festival in St. Louis, 2003 St. Louis County Fair & Air Show,

Reimbursement on immunizations: *Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine, Tuberculin Skin Test (TST), Varicella, Tetanus-diptheria, Poliovirus, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Influenza, Hepatitis A and B.

He wants existing teams to remain intact and also serve in a dual role with DMAT. The members would sign up for DMAT.

www.mo1dmat.org

Thread Information