Forum Member

Unhappy SOP OR SOG OR does it matter

I posted this in the Canada section because the law works a little different here.
    There is a debate here on what to call them due to the implications of possible court interputations, if you end up there?
    Is it that big of a deal what they are called?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if it is a big deal but I believe that Standard Operating Procedures are must do and Standard Operating Guidlines are suggested to do. Does that make any sense?

Forum Member

I have been to a number of classes over the years on this subject, several presented by lawyers that specialize is "risk management".

They all were in agreement on SOPs vs SOGs. An SOP is i "rigid" procedure that leaves you in a possible legal dilemma if you do not comply with it. An SOG is a suggested guideline and is more defensible if you deviate from it for cause.

You probably should have both. For example; "All members of the department will be seated and wearing seatbelts when riding in a department owned/controlled apparatus." This would be an SOP in that it applies to a specific area and is to done at all times. If you have exceptions to it, they should be part of the SOP.

An example of an SOG; "Selection of the size of the attack line(s) for a fire will be based upon the type of fire, size of fire, fuel involved, and any other consideration that may present a life or property hazard." This allows you to use what is needed.

I have seen SOPs that require a 1.75" line for initial attack. Do you want to use that size line on a lawnmower or the 3000 sq ft commercial building that is 75% involved? You probably wouldn't but if you didn't, you might have to try to explain the deviation from the SOP in court.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Talking

Originally posted by Scoop422
    I don't know if it is a big deal but I believe that Standard Operating Procedures are must do and Standard Operating Guidlines are suggested to do. Does that make any sense?
    In our department and in many other department around here, work with SOG. Guidelines are suggestions, that are made to go from . And SOP are specified procerdures that you must be followed. It is easier to work with SOG's than SOP's.

Forum Member

What matters once it reachs a court of law is who has the better attorney! Procedure and Guideline are just words, its how the document is written. Those situations such as tactics which require flexibility and judgement based dicision's should be written in just that fashion. On the other hand, stead fast rules such as PPE in IDLH atomspheres should not allow any deviations. It's all in the wording!!
    May, should, except, unless, will, must, always, if, etc.

CaptD

Forum Member

Originally posted by Scoop422
    That's the way we work it here.

Forum Member

Ray put it well, and I tend to put more faith in SOG giving more latitude in a court case when the judge & jury decide on the fate of a firefighter. Take care out there

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

Thread Information