2 6.45%
  • Yes i can use the computers, but can not go on to firehouse.com

1 3.23%
  • Yes, i go onto firehouse.com at school

28 90.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Permanently Removed

Default FIREHOUSE.com at school

Just out of curiosity, are you alowed to go on the computers at school during like a free time or somthing, and if you do, do you go onto firehouse.com's forums?

I do......
    Last edited by Kvfcjr; 05-23-2003 at 06:05 PM.

Occasionally when I have nothing better to do, I'll check out the forum activity. I have a study period in the library (err... I did... but school's out!), so I'd check out the news with one of the librarian's whos husband is a firefighter. I've never posted from school, becuase we're not allowed to post on public forums or write e-mails from the school computers.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I admit I did alot during my seinor year since I had so many free periods or subs in my classes. Figured if I wanst learning about anything and just sitting in the library I could be learning about Firefighting. I think in the final weeks about 3 to 4 of my six periods I was on the computer either on here ro on a couple railroad sites.

-dfd
    Last edited by dfdex1; 05-21-2003 at 11:29 PM.

Forum Member

School is out for me now too, but I have both checked out fourm activity and posted from school. Lol, being a lab aide was great... Firehouse mail made things easier from school too b/c I could get on a school computer and type homework papers and e-mail them to myself at home.

Forum Member

My school always allows use of computers 24/7. My school also doubles as my house.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

IACOJ Agitator

Default Re: FIREHOUSE.com at school

Originally posted by Kvfcjr
    Just out of curiosity, are you aloud to go on the computers at school during like a free time or somthing, and if you do, do you go onto firehouse.com's forums?

I do......
    Hmmm...maybe if you weren't allowed to come here during school, you would know how to spell! I'm not even going to touch the "during like a free time or something"...
    Last edited by Adze39; 05-23-2003 at 01:17 AM.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

You didn't capitalize any of your I's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Between your being here during school, and leaving to answer calls, I wonder if you are getting an education at all. Let alone are the taxpayers that are paying for your education to make you a well-rounded and productive person in our society getting their monies worth. I think that it is great that you are dedicated to the fire service, but there are other things in your life right now that should take priority.

Like I have told you before there are no guarantees in this life and if you think that you can skip out on education because you are a going to be a fire fighter you will have a rude awakening one-day.

yes we are allowed to go on the computers and usually check my email and go to firehouse.com

Forum Member

Adze, I think Jr. here is totally clueless when someone is trying to give him a clue. This is at least the 3rd or 4th time someone has tried........

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Adze, I think Jr. here is totally clueless when someone is trying to give him a clue. This is at least the 3rd or 4th time someone has tried........
    i guess i dont, wut is the clue you are trying to give me?

Forum Member

Go back and re-read your posts and re-read all of the responses. Don't you notice anything wrong with your spelling and grammar????

Everyone else does. It appears to be pretty horrible most of the time. I don't know if it's laziness or if you really don't know how things are supposed to be spelled/written, but it is pretty bad.

That is all the more reason why Jr's should concentrate on their education first. Don't worry about what runs you are missing. There will be plenty more down the road, but only if you get the education that you need to have first. No, we don't all need to be perfect spellers and english teachers in order to be a firefighter, but this is all basic stuff that is taught in elementary school. It is stuff that is utilized every day.

Don't worry about what is going on at FH.com when you are in school. Use the time you have in school to study. You can always get on FH.com and look when you are at home AFTER school and AFTER your homework is done. Yes, we are here to help all of you Jr's along as much as we can, but it gets to be excessive when we have to teach you basic elementary school stuff........

I'm not trying to be rude, but we have tried to give you, and quite a few others, hints. Maybe they aren't subtle enough..... It just appears that you are more concerned with what is going on in these forums and at the fire station than what you are doing in school.......

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I'm not trying to be rude, but we have tried to give you, and quite a few others, hints. Maybe they aren't subtle enough.....
    I'm giving up on being polite.
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

Originally posted by Adze39

I'm giving up on being polite.

Yea, so far you haven't had much luck.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Yea, so far you haven't had much luck.
    Dude,Adze aint one to mess with.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by dfdex1

Dude,Adze aint one to mess with.
    Have I had it out with you before? I've whipped so many pups into shape via the internet and in person that I lose track...
    IACOJ Agitator

look Jr. dude, he is tryin 2 tell u that you spelled *aloud* and its suppost 2 be Allowed!, as a JR my self, some of you JRs need 2 watch your spellin n grammer if you dont know what word means the correct definition* spell check* your trying to put down then dont put it down!
    Jr. Chief
    EMT
    FireFighter
    Stat. 89
    Pennsylvania

Forum Member

Originally posted by JohnJVFD
    look Jr. dude, he is tryin 2 tell u that you spelled *aloud* and its suppost 2 be Allowed!, as a JR my self, some of you JRs need 2 watch your spellin n grammer if you dont know what word means the correct definition* spell check* your trying to put down then dont put it down!

Perhaps you should take your own advice first before you go after everyone else?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Permanently Removed

my problem is i'm a hunt and peck typer, and i type fast, so i hit wrong keys. I forget to reread the post before posting too. I will try and do better, sorry.but guys, try not to get your panties in a bunch over a typo.

Permanently Removed

Notice i said "free time" as in lunch time

Originally posted by Airborne
    Between your being here during school, and leaving to answer calls, I wonder if you are getting an education at all. Let alone are the taxpayers that are paying for your education to make you a well-rounded and productive person in our society getting their monies worth. I think that it is great that you are dedicated to the fire service, but there are other things in your life right now that should take priority.

Like I have told you before there are no guarantees in this life and if you think that you can skip out on education because you are a going to be a fire fighter you will have a rude awakening one-day.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by Kvfcjr
    my problem is i'm a hunt and peck typer, and i type fast, so i hit wrong keys. I forget to reread the post before posting too. I will try and do better, sorry.but guys, try not to get your panties in a bunch over a typo.
    No, if you were hitting wrong keys, you would be typing "akkowed" or "alloes", etc...typing "aloud" is just bad spelling.
    IACOJ Agitator

Permanently Removed

ohhhh ok, I see now.

I can go, if the major blockage rampage my school went on didnt effect this website. It probably will for some reason.

They use the excuse that everything has sexual content.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Now spelling sucks on the forums... but I dont really care. Because as long as I know what you mean, Im not going to belly ache about it. But I mean come on people chill about the whole spelling grammar thing. Grammar especially. Because I want you all to know that my grammar is going to be different growing up in a little hick town than some big city guy. Thats a fact of life, we talk (type) different.

Now to the ACTUAL TOPIC OF THIS THREAD; I get on firehouse.com all the time in school. They banned it last year when we got Screendoor or something like that. But I complained and we made a compromise that they would ban the live chat but leave the rest. I mean I look at it as whats better? Me looking at cars on the net... or reading stuff about firefighting. Since I dont really own a car, I'll stick with firefighting thanks. But I am not skipping out on class to get on, just when I have a free couple of minutes in a study hall or something.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

This should probably be set up as a separate topic, but do your Explorer posts have grade requirements in order to join or continue your affiliation with that post?

In other words, if your grades fall below, say, a 'C' average, you are placed on probation for one reporting period. If the next report card shows no improvement, you are removed from the explorer post and cannot attend any meetings or calls.

I agree with firenresq77. Many of the fire service's most basic functions require a high-school education. From knowing mathematics (to figure out how much ventilation is needed) to having a simple command of spelling and grammar to ensure clearly written fire reports, you simply cannot get by in the service without these skills.

Oh, and please...I know it's the "cool" thing these days to write like this:
    he is tryin 2 tell u that you spelled *aloud* and its suppost 2 be Allowed
    Please don't. Unless you have severe physical limitations that make it impossible to write "2" instead of "to", I'd love to see the King's English being used instead of SMS text messaging language. Thanks

Thread Information