MembersZone Subscriber

Default reply to AMISH WHACKER thread

Hi I am new here. I don't want to flame anybody but just want to make
    everybody aware that there are Amish firefighters out there. There was even an amish chief on a local vollie dept. for a while.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I'm sure no disrespect was intended at the thread. I have more respect for the Amish then for several other groups. We did not mean to ruffle any feathers of the sort. We apologize for any thing said wrong.

Also couple of months ago there was a thread talking about Amish Firefighters. Informative if i recall.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Please accept my sincere apology as I did not think before I posted. I tend to torch people when they make stupid posts...and I'll admit when I have done the same. I didn't realize we had Amish folks online...irregardless...I went too far.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I too hang my head in shame.... And thanks Ryan, for reminding us of the earlier thread, I think we all forgot about that one.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

No offence taken. I just found the old thread about amish firefighters, very interesting! I am an amish vollie with no means of transportation right now. I used to live in town close to the fire station. Now I live a mile away, too far to respond on my bike. Anybody want to store their 4 wheeler in my barn?

Forum Member

Wow...actually I'm not too far away from you. My family and I go to Holmes County every year, we always eat at Mary Yoder's restaurant. Nice place...beautiful countryside. Our Amish in Western PA seem to be more strict in regard to belongings. We've had some Michigan Amish move to our area, they have rubber wheels and are allowed electricity to certain structures in the community.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

yeah sorry i read that thread and laughed

but i didnt reply to it

btw malahattwo7

the speed of light is not 1.8m miles/s

its 187000 miles/s

and for our none customary collegues its about 300000 km/s

just making sure you know
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    ...irregardless...
    You don't teach English do you Stayback?

Sorry for the attitude, but every time I see or hear this word, I just want to smack people with a dictionary.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

...And I've got nothing against the Amish People either.

Now, Protestants however....

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

amishFF - I, too, apologize. Did not intend to offend anyone.

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up

I must tell you. After reading the Amish FF thread that was posted not long ago....I have nothing but admiration for their lifestyles and disciplines. Hard working...determined, nothing short of amazing!

A tip of the leather....and a crisp hand salute!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I spent several years working with members of the Amish community in Tuscarawas County, Ohio and was pretty concerned about the original thread. I sure appreciate reading the turn-around in perceptions to the Amish.

Keep up the good work to all of you.
    Dobber
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Amish people are just like any body else. Good Bad and some evil
    It is sad but there is drug abuse alcohol abuse child abuse,incest among the Amish. However it is only a small percentage that do things like this. Most of it is never made public as the members are punished within the church and authorities (sp) are never notified. We are slowly being more open about such thing so hopefully victims of such abuse will come forward and help stop it. JMO

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OK...I'll ask

Since when do the Amish use the internet? Internal cumbustion engines, telephones, and smoke detectors are too modern, but a computer and internet access are OK?

I had to ask. No disrespect intended.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

District Chief

Thumbs up

Very big of Stayback to step up to the plate and admit and error in judgement.

I have never worked with Amish Firefighters but I am sure there dedication to the job would be overwhelming. Not to mention the fact that you could get a darned good fire station built in a matter of a few days!

I have however, worked closely with some Meninite firefighters when I was a volunteer. There culture is similar and the older generation of men still sport the trademak beard. They too are hard workers, still doing their own schooling in some areas. (avoiding public schools)

True story... One of my first instructors at a Fire School in the early 70's was an old scruffy captain that had little patience for some things. We were doing SCBA training and scheduled to do a burn in the afternoon. There was a Meninite in the class that was a volunteer. (He later became a friend of mine and was often a riot to be around.) Well...the instructor did not realize the man was a Meninite. Just prior to lunch the instructor looked at Alvin (the Meninite. In his usual politically correct manner he spouted out:
    "And you son....You have to shave that GD Brush Pile off your face at lunch....The only way you can get a seal with that thing is to smear vaseline on it and I better not catch no one following me into a burning building with a GD jar of vaseline in his pocket!"
    There was dead silence in the room. One of the other instructors worked with this Captain and was a Battalion Chief. I heard his jaw hit the ground. Since the Captain was a friend of ours we got him to the side at lunch and told him that Alvin was a Meninite and that was their religious custom. He was so flustereed he almost went home. Alvin came back after lunch shaved and the old captain was so embarassed he spent the entire afternoon appologizing. Alvin took it all in stride and still laughs about it to this day.

Alvin stayed in the fire service for many many years as a volunteer. He had 3 son's and a daughter and all of them got in the fire service, starting as volunteers. I had the p;ease of knowing them all and working with some as volunteers and some during my career employment. His daughter is now a respected Driver Operater, One son is a Captain in a jurisdiction that borders our Nations Capital and I am not sure where the youngest is. It should be noted that the middle son (Mark Miller) made the ultimate sacrifice on September 28, 1989 when the fire truck he was riding officer in was struck by a train in Catlett Virginia while they were responding to an alarm. He was killed instantly. He had just achieved a lifelong dream of following his brother's footsteps and started rookie school in the same department that his brother worked at. His father and oldest brother continued to serve the community they lived in and his sister and younger brother (who were very young at that time) step up to the plate and picked up the ball when they were of age.

The point is that regardless of the culture of the person, we are all here to do a job. Some of us have different methods and cultures that dictate how we do it. They are all still our brothers and sisters.

Again...my hat goes off to Stayback for his admission and appology.
    Last edited by captstanm1; 05-24-2003 at 05:48 PM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

A mistake was made KVFCjr and Stayback500ft admitted an error in judgement and appologized and moved on and now this thread is attempting to promote a positive discussion. This thread here as opposed to the one that was locked out by WT is in no way making fun of anyone. Go back and read my post again.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: OK...I'll ask

Originally posted by Duffman
    Since when do the Amish use the internet? Internal cumbustion engines, telephones, and smoke detectors are too modern, but a computer and internet access are OK?

I had to ask. No disrespect intended.
    I am only able to get on the internet at work. I do blueprints for a lumber yard. Nope I don't have internet access at home although I sometimes wish I did!

Sr. Information Officer

I'm confused....again. Was another post removed here? Something doesn't make sense....especially Captstanm1's apparent reply to a post that isn't there
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

CaptainGonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Amish live a plain, simple life. They have, however, made some adjustments to progress. The Amish might not own a car, but they can use public transporation without compromsing their principles. They may not use power equipment at home or on their farms, but if they work for someone else they can, as they are not compromising their principles. They may not have telephones, but it does not prevent them from using one to report an emeregency.

Forum Member

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    I'm confused....again. Was another post removed here? Something doesn't make sense....especially Captstanm1's apparent reply to a post that isn't there
    NJ-

Yes, you did miss something, but it appears that our esteemed jr., kvfcjr, deleted the post after realizing he had inserted his foot into his mouth again. Basically, he said he thought it was a bunch of BS because we weren't flaming Stayback for starting the original thread about the amish whackers, but Kvfcjr was getting flamed for the things he does/did.

Permanently Removed

I didn't want to cause any more havic.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's HAVIC?

Permanently Removed

oops, i meant Havoc

IACOJ BOD

Amishff

I too will step to the plate and offer my apologies.

Kia Kaha Brother.

Kiwi
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

District Chief

Default Way to go

Way to go KIWI....

and...njffa16..yep...he took it out...
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information