District Chief

Post Departments Host Open House During EMS Week

MIAMI HERALD

Open house to end EMS week

The village of Key Biscayne Fire Department will end Emergency Medical Service Week with an open house from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday at 560 Crandon Blvd.

Key Biscayne firefighters will host an educational experience for children and adults.

Events include: Sparky the Fire Dog; Perry Medic and the Sirens Puppet Show at 2:30 and 4 p.m.; station tours at 2, 3, 4 and 5 p.m.; emergency medical training demonstration and the fire safety ``hazard house.''

National EMS Week recognizes the work of emergency medical service personnel around the country.

Call 305-365-8989.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

Community Day

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS — The Walton County Emergency Medical Services will be hold a Community Awareness Fun Day on Saturday at the Walton County Fair Grounds.

There will be many demonstrations, presentations, games, activities, pony rides, moonwalk, and dunk booth. Many of the local fire departments, Eglin Air Force Base personnel, DeFuniak Springs City Police Officers, and Walton County Sheriff ’s Deputies will be there as well.

Walton County EMS is cosponsoring a 50/50 raffle with proceeds going to Angel Tree Kids Foundation. Tickets are being sold by EMS employees and are available for $1, $3 and $5.

The event Fun Day activities will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call Deloris Brown with EMS at 892-2580.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

New Press.com

EMS Week honors countless lifesaving efforts

Hope Hospice wins annual Pinnacle Award

Last week was EMS — emergency medical services — Week, a time many paramedics and emergency medical technicians were honored or thanked for their countless lifesaving efforts every day of the year.

It’s wonderful to nod in appreciation when firefighters rescue people from burning buildings or police capture criminals and lock them in jail, but few may realize that the dozens of mundane calls emergency officials get each day save the lives of scads of ordinary people.

These are the stories most of us don’t hear about: people calling 911 for chest pain, coughing, bleeding and a host of other medical maladies.

On average, Lee County EMS fields about 200 calls a day.

The top calls this year so far come from people who just don’t feel well (4,359 residents called 911 because of dizziness, weakness and the like), motor vehicle crashes (3,127 calls), personal injuries (2,758 people fell off ladders, cut themselves or otherwise injured their bodies) and heart problems (2,548).

But perhaps the best way to illustrate the heart and soul of emergency medical responders is the story of Scott Robertson’s grandfather-in-law, Mel “Buddy” Brueckner.

Buddy, 87, is a longtime Lee County resident who is active in his beloved garage-workshop and who adores his great-grandchildren, helping them create from scratch bicycles, go-carts and other gleeful toys of youth.

Last Wednesday, Buddy suffered a massive coronary while driving on U.S. 41 near Island Park Road.

He stopped his car in the middle of the highway and nearly died before off-duty firefighters Tom Grow from the Fort Myers Beach Fire Department and Gene Rison, a firefighter and EMT with the San Carlos Park Fire Department, happened to drive by.

Without hesitation, both men administered CPR on Buddy and continued until the Florida Highway Patrol and a San Carlos rescue vehicle showed up with defibrillators and oxygen tubes.

Buddy is alive now and his family is ecstatic.

“He’s alive, kickin’ and itchin’ to get back to his garage,” Robertson wrote in an e-mail.

Robertson, who coincidentally knew most of the emergency responders from his days as a volunteer firefighter, was moved by their actions.

“Thanks to the quick thinking and selfless giving of two off-duty firemen, a couple of good samaritans and our local FHP, EMS and FD, Buddy is still here,” he said.

But none of them knew who Buddy was nor his relation to Robertson while they helped him.

“They didn’t know how important he was to us,” Robertson said. “But he was important to them anyway.”
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information