Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear

Question Gear

We are looking into buying new gear... i was just wondering what brand of bunker gear do you prefer, or like... how bout helmets, gloves... goggles or shield.. boots?

ill make it easy

Tournouts-
    Helmet-
    (shield or goggles)-
    Boots-
    gloves-

Fave tool-
    what do you carry with you-
    Anything else??
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Globe is great. I went to there factory in Pitsfield,pretty nice stuff. My globe is about 10 Y/O and is still great condition. Morning pride is also nice but are unwilling to deal or take trade-ins like Globe.

I wouldnt recomend Bristol,Boston uses it but I dont like the idea that you can not inspect the mouisture barrier and cause its a import so the money is not going to a American company,nor would I recomend that Lion apperal crap they sell in Galls, I have seen some after 3 years of very limited use and it was torn to shreads.

Id recomend getting NOMEX instead of PBI or P84 for the main fact that as a explorer your not going to need super heat protection, NOMEX is also durable as far as abrasion as were I have read that PBI is not very abrasion resistent.

Helmets:Carins,Morning Pride and Bullard are the 3 big manufactures and make good helmets. I would get goggles instead of shields. Shields alone are NOT NFPA-1971 complient in them selves,you would need safety glasses or goggles to be complient.

By HAIX leather fireboots , but it would be more practical to by Ranger Firwalkers.

-dfd

I have a pall conway helmet and shield plus leather. The reason I choose this helmet was a matter of the way I saw it hold up under fire. We had a fire that flashed on us, two of our firefighters were in this fire at the same time. One had a buelyerd the other had a pall conway, the pall conway weld up better in my eyes so that is what I got.

Remember stay safe, stay low, "GOD BLESS" and always "WOOHOO"!!!!
    .....DOC....

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

I have a pall conway helmet and shield plus leather. The reason I choose this helmet was a matter of the way I saw it hold up under fire. We had a fire that flashed on us, two of our firefighters were in this fire at the same time. One had a buelyerd the other had a pall conway, the pall conway weld up better in my eyes so that is what I got.

Remember stay safe, stay low, "GOD BLESS" and always "WOOHOO"!!!!
    .....DOC....
    Dude,how old are you?

I think he's a JR advisor

MembersZone Subscriber

We use Securitex gear, like it a lot... Don't know about how long bunker gear is supposed to hold up but my last set lasted 2 years, got a lotta use though. If I had a choice of helmets i'd be wearing a traditional, but my 'metro' style or whatever it is helmet is made by Morning Pride, it's comfortable. I use goggles, faceshields blow - rather have goggles and flip downs but oh well. Boots? Warrington Pro, don't even mess with rubbers cause they suck. Get a pair of leather Warringtons, they feel like slippers and they are light too. Gloves, all about the same as far as i'm concerned unless your talking about extrication gloves, I have a pair of the mechanix extrication gloves, seem to be holding up better than my old pair of ringers - though they are thicker gloves. Favorite tool? married set... you can do about anything with em. I carry 24 ft of webbing in my gear for different things, RIT, dragging victims, securing stuff, hose harness, whatever i need it for. Also have the folding rescue wrench (it's been used as a door wedge a lot lately though) and a LED flashlight.

I dont know (as an explorer) do we really need actual fire fighting gloves? or should we just get a nice pair of work gloves?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Forum Member

we use older globe gear, we are looking at some new gear cant remember the name though. i like the new yorker helmets but we use cairns, works real well.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information