Temporarily/No Longer Active

Unhappy Something to think about next time you ride in the truck...

Teen Firefighter Killed in Truck Rollover: Driver Charged with DUI
    10th Grader Ejected from Cab of Tanker
    DUSTIN BLEIZEFFER and NADIA WHITE
    Reprinted with Permission, Casper Star Tribune

NEWCASTLE, Wyo. -- A 16-year-old student firefighter was killed Thursday on the way to a nighttime fire call when the fire truck she was riding in left the road and rolled. The Weston County firefighter who was driving the truck has been arrested on charges of Driving Under the Influence.

Andee Huber, a 10th grader at Newcastle High School was ejected from the cab of the Freightliner tanker truck when driver Ron J. Caillier, 46, of Newcastle, lost control of the vehicle, according to the Wyoming Highway Patrol.

The state patrol said the truck drifted off the roadway on a hard-pack county road 4.4 miles south of U.S. 85 and rolled 1 3/4 times.

Neither the driver nor the passenger were wearing seatbelts. Highway Patrol Sgt. Stephen Townsend confirmed the 1981 Freightliner tanker truck was equipped with seatbelts.

A total of five vehicles were responding to a fire at 10:15 p.m. at the time of the accident, according to the Highway Patrol report.

Townsend said Huber was taken to a hospital in the area -- it was unclear which -- where she was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Caillier was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and was still being held with no bond at the Weston County Detention Facility on Friday morning. Additional charges are pending.

Caillier was treated for cuts and abrasions.

Weston County Sheriff Bill Ware and Weston County Fire Warden Kenny Williams were unavailable Friday and instructed their office staff not to comment about the incident to the media.

The youngest of four children of Gary and Sharon Huber of Newcastle, Andee was active in track and swimming, as well as the Explorer program, through which she was able to train to be a firefighter, according to her brother Kevin Huber. The Explorer program allowed students who passed a physical test to travel to fires and help with clean up and water supply, he said.

"She was the greatest," he said, tearfully describing his 5-foot, four-inch, brown-haried sister. "How many 16 year olds do you know who want to be firefighters? She was 16 years old and she loved life. She loved her friends, she loved her family."

A funeral for Huber is tentatively planned for Tuesday at 4 p.m. at Newcastle High School, Kevin Huber said. Fidler/Roberts & Isburg Funeral Chapel of Sundance is in charge of arrangements.

Besides her parents, Huber, a Newcastle native, is survived by three siblings, Kevin of Casper, Teri Pikul of Casper and Hayden Huber; grandmothers Ina Huber of Alliance, Neb., and Verna Clark of Sundance.

Hayden Huber has been deployed on the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman out of Norfolk, Va. He returned to port today after six months at sea for Operation Iraqi Freedom only to hear the news of his sister's death, Kevin Huber said.

Huber's is the 47th death on Wyoming roadways so far this year. At this time last year, there had been 44 fatalities, according to the Highway Patrol.

Townsend said the tragedy should remind travelers of highway safety this Memorial Day weekend.

"That's exactly what we are going to be looking for this Memorial Day weekend: Drinking and driving, moving violations and safety belts," Townsend said. "We will be aggressively enforcing the seatbelt law."

Currently, law enforcement officers cannot issue a citation for a seatbelt violation unless they also issue a citation for something else, Townsend said. But that will change on July 1 when a new law goes into affect. Officers will then be able to issue a seatbelt citation even if they don't issue a citation for some other offense.

Townsend said a seatbelt violation alone does not warrant a traffic stop, however. The traffic stop must be based on some other violation.

The Wyoming Highway Patrol deployed extra troopers on patrol beginning Friday afternoon, and the extra-large force will remain until midnight on Monday, Townsend said.

Permanently Removed

how about charging him with -driving without a seat belt, DUI, and manslaughter

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I know from now on I will ALWAYS wearing my seatbelts in the trucks.

its a damn shame that she had to die.

That is too sad. My sympies(spelling) go the family. God Bless her
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Tell me why does the saying "ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG" have to be prooven over and over again.

Remember stay safe, stay low, "GOD BLESS" and always WOOHOO!!!!!
    .........DOC...........

Forum Member

Angry

I feel really bad for the family. I think the driver should also be charged with neglegent homicide with all the other charges (driving under the influence, manslaughter...) I feel sorry for the girl and her family, but yet another tradgedy that could have been avoided.

makes good girls go bad

here is a small memorial page for FF-E Huber, good bye little sister!
    Andee huber Memorial Page:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...=Andee%20Huber&
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Arrow sad

It is, really. I wear my seatbelt anyways. Not only is it in our by-laws. BUT, it is a personal step I take anyways.

-Joshua Schultz
    Explorer/Captain of the MFDE
    Previous Board Name: MFDExplorer51
    X it up!
    901-51-711-1051

Permanently Removed

To tell you the truth, i have only worn my seat belt twice, both in the middle of bad snow storms. guess whose gonnabe wearing it a bit more now!

Forum Member

I ordered myself a copy of FEMA's "Safe Operation of Fire Tankers." In the back of this book, there are 38 incidents listed of tanker accidents where there was a fatality. Just about all of them, if not all of them, were due to not wearing seatbelts. Don't sit on a good idea people!
    Last edited by HFRH28; 05-26-2003 at 08:47 PM.

Originally posted by HFRH28
    I ordered myself a copy of FEMA's "Safe Operation of Fire Tankers." In the back of this book, there are 38 incidents listed of tanker accidents where there was a fatality. Just about all of them, if not all of them, were due to not wearing seatbelts. Don't sit on a good idea people!
    the copy i got for the fire station just came in the other day. i havent had a chance to look through it yet but it's thick enough to have some really useful info

Default as I state earlier

before I got my new name because I didnt like the last one. I wear my seatbelt most of the time. I do remember times that I have forgotten. Or needed to put on gear. But most of the time if getting geared up or a quick arrival isnt necessary or going to happen I'll click it.. even thought I cant get a ticket..
    -JLS

Captain of the MFD Explorers

Previous Board Name: MFDExplorer51

Dispatch me and I will come!

901-711-51-1051

Forum Member

even thought I cant get a ticket
    Don't be too sure of that. Im sure the law is the same there as it is here. Firetrucks also have to comply with all motor vehicle laws, which includes seatbelts. What you most likely meant was that the Law Enforcement Officers there won't write you a ticket, even though they CAN. Seatbelts are put there for a reason, so again, don't sit on a good idea!

That is a shame
    I sympathize with the families of the victim.

I think that a member that posted on this forum said "Only the Good Die Young." That is very true.

I think that in this world, not many teenagers want teenagers are dedicated to helping people. Junior Firefighters are very unique. I think that Junior Firefighters are an example of what a kid should be: helpful(If you disagree, then fine but dont bash me or anyone else). And when someone so young dies in the line of duty I find it to be a horrible event....

Truly Horrible

R.I.P.

Seatbelts are so crucial. God Bless.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Rollover accident

Thats a damn shame what happened. My dad was responding on his company's new aerial and someone cut them off and they rolled into a ditch, all of the firefighters were wearign seat belts so they were fine, but the guy that cut them off they ended up helping because he had no seat belt on and was in critical condition.

Forum Member

After I beat the drivers *** for being stupid and reckless..I'd put him in jail for life...DUI and driving a fire truck...Thats just stupid..If your goin out..You know your drinkin..Leave the damn pager home...Your better sittin at a party than driving a tanker down the road with 6 into yah...And contrary to what some people may think their dept will go regardless if they are there..I've heard that....I play the DD so i won't miss calls and i've heard a couple doozies when someone says I wanna go to this call...

But back on topic...Sympathies withs her family and friends and its a shame something this tragic had to happen
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

After I read this article, I thought that shes just a little younger than I am, and that really it can happen to anyone. My deepest sympathies go out to her family, friends, and the members of her fire dept. She had her whole life to live. May our Sister Rest in Peace.

Is her death considered to be In the Line of Duty? And will her funeral be like that of another FF's LODD funeral? I don't know if somebody can answer this or not, but an answer would be much appreciated! thanks

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Anndee was killed almost a year ago. Check the date on the first post. For those that want more information, there are other old threads as well, just do a search and I'm sure you'll have all your questions answered.

Anndee, you are honored and remembered by many, many people Sleep with angels sweet child.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Unhappy

Yes....Anndee Huber was considerd a LODD. She did recieve a LODD funeral too.

Anndee Hubers MURDER is still a very sensitive subject with other explorers and I.
    To me Anndee Huber was the Woscester 6 for fire explorers. My blood still boils when I think about it. I carry a little reminder of what happend to this day on my helmet.

The only thing I ask is that people who read her story learn the lessons that it teaches. Let her tragic death not be in vain. I am 100% sure we can prevent another tragedy like the one in Newcastle.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information