Thread: Firefighters save two from fire
05-27-2003, 07:46 AM #1
Firefighters save two from fire
We do not see alot of press on our brothers in Australia. I saw this and figured I would "ring the bell" so to speak! Good job fella's!
Tuesday 27 May 2003, 6:05 PM
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA- Fire crews smashed windows to pull a Sydney family of six, including two children in cardiac arrest, from their burning home.
The mother and several of her five children suffered severe smoke inhalation, and the hearts of two children had stopped beating by the time authorities arrived.
Fire crews called to the home in Christie Street, Liverpool, were forced to perform cardio-pulmonary resuscitation on the pair after rescuing them from the blaze.
Authorities were alerted to the inferno after neighbours made emergency calls about 3.30am (AEST).
Descriptions of the home's layout and the number of people inside from a neighbour helped firemen equipped with a thermal imaging camera and breathing equipment locate the family members.
An ambulance spokesman said one of the 18-month-old twins and an 11-year-old were not breathing, unconscious and in a state of cardiac arrest when they were brought outside.
"Their hearts had stopped beating, they were completely unconscious and ambulance officers used a special CPR device to bring them back to life," the spokesman told AAP.
He said no one was burnt in the blaze, which was believed to have started in the kitchen.
But because the house had been robbed of oxygen those inside had extreme difficulty in breathing.
"They were certainly really struggling to breathe and really did require urgent intervention to stop them from cascading down and becoming worse," he said.
Paramedics then rushed them to Liverpool Hospital.
Later, the 18-month-old twins, listed as serious but stable, and the critically injured 11-year-old were transferred to Westmead Children's Hospital.
A five-year-old in a serious condition and a critical eight-year-old were moved to Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick while their mother, listed as serious, is now at Prince of Wales Hospital.
NSW Fire Brigade superintendent Ian Krimmer said the firemen who rescued the family were coming off a 14-hour shift and had entered the burning house in pairs.
Supt Krimmer said early investigations of the house, which was not destroyed in the blaze, indicated the fire started in the kitchen before spreading to an adjoining bedroom.
05-27-2003, 09:05 AM #2
- Join Date
- Feb 2003
congrats to our brothers down underFireSarge
"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)