Thread: Trouble makers

Default Trouble makers

I am looking for advice about an issue in our department. We have 2 firefighters that are new ont eh department and they do nothing but cause problems. They are constantly crying to our town board, spreading false rumors and just making a nice rural department nothing but a tense and unsatisfying atmosphere. This department is a great department I have been on 6 years. The firefighters I serve with are what I call awesome at what they do. Now we have this. I want to make recomendation that these certain firefighters/first responders, be relieved of there service because of these matters. I would like to hear comments on this issue to help decide what action I should take.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can you be a little more specific?

Toafd:
    You haven't given a lot of information, but it sounds like you are senior man to these two. You have every right to approach them and discuss these issues. Do it as an individual. Since you are not, at the request of your senior staff, making these inquiries, let them know that. If the answers are not satisfactory, inform them that you are going to take it up with the department's leadership. But make sure that they know that. That way, it doesn't split the department and there is no perception that it was done behind someone's back. If it is common knowledge that these two are going to the town council and complaining, then why hasn't the chief intervened?
    If they have violated your department's policies and procedures and even your chain of command, why hasn't something been done?
    I believe that I have asked more questions than I have answered, but you didn't give me alot.
    In any event, derisive behavior needs to be addressed or it will hurt the department.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 05-28-2003 at 12:39 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

TOA,

Listen to CR. Like he said confront them on your own. That is the best, and if that doesn't work......you have to go to the White Hats.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Angry

Troublemakers are in EVERY fire department. I have been on 3 fire depts and they all had at least 1 Jerk who went out of his way to ruin dept morale. When I was an explorer,the deputy chief of the fire station was a jerk. Then next dept I joined a guy who came on 6 months after me was a jerk from the moment he came on the dept and the chief liked him so we had to suffer. Also this department hired a paid captain and he was a jerk from day one also. The next department I joined,the training officer was a jerk. No matter whether you are paid or volunteer,you will ALWAYS have at least one ***** to work with no matter where you go.This is also very true for non-fire service professions/jobs. I have been lucky that most of the career and volunteer firefighters I have worked with over the years are VERY good people and VERY professional. I am NOT trying to start a career vs. volunteer war either. We all have to work together sometimes and we MUST get along ALL the time.

Career is paid,Volunteer is volunteer,Professional is BOTH

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Why are these two trouble makers allowed to go to the Town Council and speak for or against the Fire Dept ? In my Department the only people allowed to speak at a meeting such as that are the Chief or the President. It is also in our by-laws to that fact also. Even outside on the street if one of our Council members brings a subject up to one of the members we answer "no comment" and advise them to direct thier questions to the Chief or President. Keep records of what they are doing that is harmful to the Dept. then bring it up at a meeting after a few months and have them disciplined or removed for making maliscious statement or action or something to that effect.

Forum Member

Why are these two trouble makers allowed to go to the Town Council and speak for or against the Fire Dept
    I am a taxpayer in my town and it is my right to speak as a citizen at any and all town council meetings. But, I cannot speak as a representative of the Fire Department as that is the Chief's responsibility. However, in a small town like mine, everyone on Council knows pretty close to everyone on the FD, so even if you speak as a citizen, they unofficially consider it part of the FD. It's simply small town politics.

I have a hard time believing that 2 newcomers would be able to cause much trouble. They are new, so why would people believe them over long time members? Be open with you town, be proud of what you do, you won't have anything to worry about.

Stay Safe and good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we are a small community also and everybody knows everybody else and we do talk with our Township Commissioners outside the meetings but when the subject turns to questions regarding Fire Co. issues we refer them to the Chief or President. The Commissioners know this and as such the majority of them will not press the issue. As far as the two troublemakers go they should be reprimanded or dismissed.

toafd, who runs your dept? Are you a Private Organization or an entity of your town? If you are a Private organization then these two characters have no right to be discussing Fire Company business at Town Meetings. Get Rid of them.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

has it been addressed officially by anyone?? like their O.I.C.?? we have a similar situation at our department with some of the guys that are here, but from what i see and understand, they just seem to think they know everything, that type of stuff. the first step would be to confront them, then if that doesn't work, just work your way up the chain of command. if enough of you feel the same way, you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a resolution that works. good luck!

Thread Information