MembersZone Subscriber

Default Policies on uniform shorts

My department is currently researching information on policies and procedures regarding the wearing of uniform shorts while on duty. I am not looking for personal opinions or to open the debate over the pros and cons of shorts, but rather assistance in locating copies of actual policies and procedures from departments that allow members to wear uniform shorts. Any information and help would be greatly apreciated.

FF Eric Uitts
    Hooksett, NH Fire-Rescue
    EUitts@aol.com

Forum Member

We can wear them (EMS style) if the temp is over 80 degrees (F) or when exercising. Some of us didn't like them at first, but I think it's just the "new" of it that people thought was odd. After wearing them for a few shifts, I totally love them. I see nothing wrong with their looks, but I'm sure you'll find a few different opinions on them here.

Forum Member

Our Intergovernmental Risk Management Association (AKA insurance carrier) has come out against allowing firefighters the option of wearing shorts. I think its short-sighted on their part, but my Chief isn't going to go against them.

Forum Member

Did they state specific reasons for their position?

Forum Member

Something along the lines that exposed legs = more claims. I did not see the opinion letter but that was the jist of it. I dont understand their reasoning if you are wearing bunker pants. They did not like shorts ANYTIME.

Forum Member

I see. The shorts we wear come to the knee or just below it on most our guys. This is about the area that the top of my boots hit, anyway. I can see their point, though. However, in my experience, when crawling on a hot floor the pants I was wearing really made little difference. I seldom put my knees down, anyway. Feeling boots hit against my bare legs took some getting used to, though. The only slack I get is my legs are too white. Everybody's a critic.

Forum Member

we do not allow them .......as an on duty type uniform ,........obviously if you are coming form home then you may be in shorts ...... I am not aware of any local depts that have a policy
    Last edited by Weruj1; 06-03-2003 at 08:23 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Not for nuthin' but...

Shouldn't the policy address the problem of that segment of the fire service who has no business wearing shorts? And are these uniform shorts crack-proof?

Forum Member

LMAO !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

District Chief

http://www.springhillfire.com/

Search around the site and email one of the Shift Commanders. They wear shorts but I am not sure what the written policy is. I am sure they will help.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

We've been in shorts (BDU) for over two years. As nozzleman stated, I was apprehensive at first. But down here in southern Florida it tends to be a little on the warm side.

Our policy states in short: uniform shorts can be worn year round, white or black shocks, lace up boot or sneaker no higher than 6".

They can be worn with bunker gear, but are discouraged if wearing nomex jumpsuits (wildland).

CaptD

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a specific policy against shorts. Reason being is a member who decided to stand in some burning grass for a couple of minutes got burned thru his wildland gear. Now most of us keep a nylon/cotton dickies short sleeve jumpsuit in our lockers to put on if responding while wearing shorts....cant wait till I am the dumb*** standing in a fire and I melt the dickies to my leg....

Stay Safe and Cool

The Suffolf Country Fire Academy has set the following regulations regarding what clothes are suitable for "live" fire training. My dept following these guildlines for all fire grounds.

Suitable Clothing

Firefighters participating in "live" training exercises will not be allowed to wear shorts or bathing attire (except if full bunker gear is worn.). Full-length trousers are required. Tank top shirts are not allowed as their use may result in injury to the trainee.

Forum Member

WSFD does'nt allow them, and us explorers can't wear them when we ride or to meetings BUT I have tried on my pants in shorts and that is way uncomfortable. I can't stand the boots and liner in my pants touching my skin. I prefer pants to anything, and I found wearing shorts makes me even HOTTER than wearing pants. Weird huh?
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Talking

Our policy states in short: uniform shorts can be worn year round, white or black shocks, lace up boot or sneaker no higher than 6".
    White or black shocks? Is this a reference to those folks who shouldn't be wearing shorts?

Being in an all-volunteer department, we always respond from home or wherever we are at the time. Sometimes you're in shorts, sometimes not. (When responding at night, it's usually right into the turnouts in my skivvies....) I'm used to the feel of it, doesn't bother me. I don't know of anyone who has sustainted a burn injury attributed to wearing shorts under turnouts. I suspect (just my opinion, mind you) that if you got that hot through your turnouts you'd get burned whether you had long pants or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK people. This is exactly what I was talking about. Let's take a moment here....

Every FD has one. Picture that FF (male or female) that would look like a model from the Gall's catalog wearing shorts in the manner described above.

Every FD has one. Picture that FF (male or female) that would cause your members to laugh uncontrollably and the public to do a triple take.

Black socks and 6" lace up boots?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shorts On EMS Calls

I am a Captain and an EMT-D for an all volunteer fire department in Syracuse, New York who does about 550 calls a year, 65% of them being EMS calls which our BLS rescue handles until a private ambulance company arrives.

I have never liked the idea of wearing shorts on EMS calls for a couple of reasons. One, it looks unprofessional and two, their is an obvious safety issue with legs exposed. I have been hit with remarks such as "were not going to a fasion show", to "the patient doesn't care what we look like", to the all popular, "don't worry, shorts on ems calls is safe".

Once I found that none of the other officers were going to back me up (some of who actually wear shorts and flip flops on calls), I figured I would just worry about myself and just wear my bunker pants on EMS calls, both when I had shorts on and when I did not. I did this for almost a year.

Guess what - now we have a rule that you can no longer wear your bunker pants on ems calls, even if you have shorts on!

The reason - because the cloth seats in our Chevy Suburban rescue truck were not speced out for bunker pants to be worn in it. Now I would understand if my gear was filthy dirty, but its not, nor does it have a hint of smoke smell on it.

So, the result - screw you, our seats our more important than your health and whether you look professional or not.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

Try in Pinellas County Florida

St. Petersburg Fire Rescue

Clearwater Fire Rescue

Palm Harbor Fire Rescue

Treasure Island Fire Department or Rescue

St Petersburg Beach Fire Rescue

All are wearing shorts.

Leather and Shorts Forever

District Chief

My own personal "opinion" is that they look pretty tacky and unprofessional.

I am also in Florida and we do not wear them but in my second job I travel to Fire Departments (including those listed above) that do. I see guys in shorts with knee high white socks or faded color socks... It just is so unprofessional in my opinion.....

George....we agree on this one!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

EUitts I answered your question, just on the wrong thread. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO DUMB!! I'll run through it again.
    1. Shorts to be worn from April to October (time changes)
    2. Crew must dress alike
    3. No open wounds or scabs on legs
    4. Worn or faded uniforms are to be replaced
    5. No modifications to shorts i.e. shortening- lengthening
    6. Boots are to be 6" steel toe ( example, Wolverine Durashocks)
    One we made up
    6.5 No legs whiter than your socks, white socks only
    Hope this helps TC

Thread Information