Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Station Phone

HNFC FF/President

Default Station Phone

It's 3:30 PM, your at the station going through your gear and your the only one in station. You stations telephone rings. What do you do? What can you do?

Basically what i'm asking is if you can answer the phone at your station. There have been times that i've been at the station and the phone rang, and i would answer it with my usual "Fire Station" and wait for the reply.

*I know its a stupid question*
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Ummm, if im at the station, there are 8 other guys with me, 4 on the engine, 4 on the aerial. ( City Dept. ) I have never answered the phone but if I have to, answer " Engine one/Aerial one, explorer-" my last name. Also answer "Central fire station".
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I only answer it if they are on a run and there is no one in the station at all then I may pick up,I have a few times.

I say "Fire Headqaurters" or "Engine company 2" depending on the station and if they ask for someone I say they are out on a run right now and stop the conversation there,the people that call are usally firefighters family members or other ff so they understand.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 06-05-2003 at 09:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Usually say "EMS HEADQUARTERS" or when i'm at the firehouse I answer "PROTECTION" or FIREHOUSE
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Okay DFDEX...this is all your fault...now I'm in a "What would you do?" mood...

For those of you who said that you DO or may potentially answer your station phone...What would you do if you picked up an emergency phone call? True, most places have 911 systems, but we have actually had some of our older people in the community call the station and not 911...you never know what a panicing person will do...

What would you do? How would you handle this? Does your dept. have an SOP or SOG concerning how emergency phone calls should be handled?

Well our pre 911 number still goes to dispatch at the pd! Our 5 new numbers are unlisted execpt for the office one which only the secratary answers.The other station numbers are unlisted. HHAHAHAAHAHAHAH What would you do Cofire or is that another professional standerd I cant hold you too? LOL JK BB Just joshin ya .

Forum Member

if i picked up the phone and it was an emergency, i would take down the info, radio sherriffs office and give them the info to tone out the pagers. i actually had to do this once (not a call) because a farmer cut our telephone wires so each station in the county had to man a "knox box" which is a phone that is hooked into the local telephone building and re-routes 911 calls to the station phone instead of the 911 center. luckly we didnt have anycalls that night.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

if i picked up the phone and it was an emergency, i would take down the info, radio sherriffs office and give them the info to tone out the pagers. i actually had to do this once (not a call) because a farmer cut our telephone wires so each station in the county had to man a "knox box" which is a phone that is hooked into the local telephone building and re-routes 911 calls to the station phone instead of the 911 center. luckly we didnt have anycalls that night. if we would have had a call i would have had to answer it "911 whats your emergency." if it was a regular time at the station i would have just answered it "Ohio Fire Protection District, Ohio Fire Dept, or Ohio Fire.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Default We answer it?

I would pick it up and say "Hose 1" or "Hose 2" depending what station I am at. Its pretty simple. Its not like the olden days when we had a 911 Phone. But that would be simple too. When the light blinks and the bell rings pick it up and "Hose 1" and write down the call. But now we have pagers and a rip-and-run printer that prints out all the call info so.

If I picked up the phone and it was an emergency, we have a simple policy. Take down the info, tell the person to call 911. Then you would do the same of calling dispatch and letting them know and getting toned out for it. Pretty much though if I am at the hall, someone else is too, generally a whole bunch of people and as soon as we got off the phone we would be en-route to check it out in a truck. Not waiting for the tones.

Actually the post is pretty original in my eyes. never seen anything like it before.
    Last edited by rfcmitch; 06-06-2003 at 10:40 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

makes good girls go bad

We (Explorers) have to answer the phone, since it is part of our duties "Melbourne Fire, 71, Firefighter-Explorer Zuccarelli" is my response. If I got an emergency call, I would either give the phone to a FF, or, i f their out on a call, and I just arrived at the station, I would radio it in to Melbourne. (our dispatch, Eg, Melbourne, Station 71, stand by for report of unknown emergency.). Which brings up another intresting point, are you allowed to use the radios at your house??
    Last edited by BLSboy; 06-06-2003 at 01:14 PM.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Yes we are allowed to operate the base radios. When you first join you arent supposed to do anything. And when you are cleared to use the radios by the chief then you can. Its pretty simple. Most of us have been cleared, but a few havent. Numerous times I have put tones out myself for work parties, help at the hall and various other things.

And I dont see a problem with it as long as it isnt abused.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Being a Junior....typically I'm the one who has to answer the phone...if it were an emergency (which 99.9% of the people in our district call 911) I would take their info & problem, then tell them to call 911. At the current time my station does not have the ability to encode ourselves. Yes, I am allowed to use the base radio or any other radio.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Forum Member

Your dept should have a policy for what to do when an emergency is phoned to the firehouse. It is VERY important that these things are not screwed up. There is a lot of training that 9-1-1 dispatcher have that you do not posess. The caller calling 9-1-1 themselves is best because of the ANI/ALI information that will show up on the screen. If that is not possible or not safe enough, you need to know what information to get and what to tell the caller.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Any member of my dept. can answere the phone....I dont normally answere the fire phone though, because that is the dipatcher's job. If the phone ring's whoever can get to it quickest answeres it with either fire department or fire station. Thats how it is.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

Lightbulb Riiiing......Can You Get That?

If we get a verbal/walk-in alarm or if the phone rings to report something, the best thing to do is take in all the information you can, especially the address! Pick up the landline to dispatch and let them know to send the assignment. Or contact the dispatcher on the air and let them know you just received a verbal alarm for such and such a situation at such and such an address.
    Last edited by Irons6789; 04-15-2006 at 03:14 PM.

In addition what I said above I dont go out of my way to answer it unless its within arms reach. We are allowed to stay at the station if they get a call and have to go. But no we just dont show up at random and roam around.

Forum Member

We can not use the radios at the station. The only way I would talk to KUJ ( our dispatch ) would be if the crew was unable to or told me to.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

HNFC FF/President

if i answered the phone and it was an emergency call, i would write down where it is and get the callers information. Depending on what the caller has told me will determine who contacts the Alarm Room.

If its a call to assist the public or something minor, then i would have the caller call 911.

Now if he/she said that it was a dwelling/building/apartment or anything else thats on fire, then i would either get on County F-2 radio or call it in from the station. It all depends.

Alot of the guys in my department have scanners and listen in frequently. If someone were to get on F-2 or the F-1 Dispatch and transmit such a message, we could start to the station before the tones.
    Last edited by mdoddsjffhnfc; 06-07-2003 at 04:58 PM.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Arrow To CoFiregals Question

If someone calles the station with an emergency I personalli would not have them call 911. Depending on what the call was I'd either get on the base and call 911 and have them tone us or Hilltop out for the call but if it was a strucutre fire I'd hit 105# and tone us out my self and say ATTENTION ALL 81 COMPANY 1 AND 2 MEMBERS REPORT TO YOUR STATION YOU HAVE AN ALARM WORKING STRUCTURE FIRE AT ... Of course the chief might kick me out for this but I already decided if that he is going to kick me out for doing my job I'll just go.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Of course the chief might kick me out for this but I already decided if that he is going to kick me out for doing my job I'll just go.
    It sounds like you have the "I don't care" attitude. If you do have it, you don't need to be doing this job, because that attitude is what gets people killed.
    ZakO127 likes this.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Of course the chief might kick me out for this but I already decided if that he is going to kick me out for doing my job I'll just go
    The reason the Chief would kick you is cause that is NOT your job! Or he may kick you out casue you talk like a dogan and make a fool out of your jr. program.

Im out,I'll be in the pool hall if anyone wants to join.

Forum Member

Default Re: To CoFiregals Question

Originally posted by MVFD81
    If someone calles the station with an emergency I personalli would not have them call 911. Depending on what the call was I'd either get on the base and call 911 and have them tone us or Hilltop out for the call but if it was a strucutre fire I'd hit 105# and tone us out my self and say ATTENTION ALL 81 COMPANY 1 AND 2 MEMBERS REPORT TO YOUR STATION YOU HAVE AN ALARM WORKING STRUCTURE FIRE AT ... Of course the chief might kick me out for this but I already decided if that he is going to kick me out for doing my job I'll just go.

Are you for real? Go back to the playroom with the other kiddies, you are not helping the recovery of the Explorer's reputation here. No FD needs the attitude you are displaying in all yours sensless posts here. I told this to another member here once before... If you were in the post I am an advisor for, I would be at your house cutting your phone lines with bolt cutters so you can't come on here and make us look bad. Of course, you would already be on suspenstion from the parking lot thing.....
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

do to some inappropriteness, (not just by explorers) we actually had to come up with a phone policy ..........our explorers can answer the phone when they are there but since they are with an advisor we prefer they get teh phone .....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Explorers cant answer the phone or use the base radios. We also can't be at the fire house with out another Fire Fighter there. We also have to be out of the fire house by 10pm unless one of our family members is a member.

Forum Member

Yes. We can be there without a member. Since most of us are 16 and voted in as limited duty, we are responsible for our actions. And we are all responsible for each others actions. We have it in prime but we dont abuse it either. When you abuse good things you lose good things. We are at the hall a lot, usually there is someone there during the evening hours because one of us Jrs/ LDs are around. We do everything by policy and code.

Its simple people. If you want to be treated like a responsible adult, you have to be one, not act like one. Acting and being are two different things. If you want to be able to do this stuff, earn it. Dont just complain about it, theres always a reason why people cant do things.

Just be responsible and hold everyone accountable. It makes sure that everybody watches out for everybody else doing stupid stuff.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Thread Information