MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Equipment Policies

garygray@ci.unalaska.ak.us

I am trying to create a policy for testing and certifying Department equipment. This will cover everything from SCBA to Ladders. I am new at creating or drafting Dept. policies and would appreciate any input you could offer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ladders are easy NFPA recommends annual ladder testing. We have an outside company come in and do it. SCBA annual tests on a bench tester, depending on the amount you own it is also less expensive to get an outside company come in. Same with hydraulic rescue tools an outside firm comes in annually to test and repair.

Weekly the equipment is run and inspected per the owners manual and check sheets are filled out and filed.

For us to have equipment done by an outside firm reduces our liability and need to train techs and carry spare parts.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a retired fire chief and our dept. also had our ground ladders inspected according to NFPA standards, SCBA testing and hydraulic tools were tested by an outside agency due to costs of training in house personell and for the liability factor.

Thread Information