Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Miami Fla--Miami Dade Disputes City's Story of how Cruise Ship Explosion was handled!

This is a letter to the editor

City takes too much credit for port rescue

Re Karl Ross' June 2 article, Can the county handle port fires?: In the wake of the Miami seaport fire, it is obvious that Miami's motives are purely to recapture the $300,000 to $400,000 that it lost when the Miami-Dade Fire Department took over fire protection at the port years ago.

If the city indeed had 52 firefighters at the port that terrible morning, then they severely depleted their on-duty capabilities to protect the city. Had a large fire or other disaster struck the city simultaneously, their response units would have been supplemented by county fire units as well as units from surrounding cities. This is the basis behind mutual-aid agreements in effect for decades.

Miami Assistant Fire Chief Joe FernŠndez stated that all the victims of the explosion were taken to hospitals in Miami units. Many victims were transported in Miami-Dade rescue trucks. The two air-rescue helicopters that flew the most severely injured patients to the Ryder Trauma Center were Miami-Dade units. The Miami Beach Fire Department also had firefighters on the scene.

During construction of the American Airlines Arena, there was a large fire atop the structure. Miami firefighters could not access and control the fire. The blaze was ultimately extinguished by a Miami-Dade air-rescue helicopter using a ''Bambi Bucket'' -- a primary tool against woodland fires -- that dipped water from Biscayne Bay. This saved millions of dollars in loss.

The city of Miami needs to find ways to better fund its services or be more effective with the budget it has. It should not discredit a fine and proud Miami-Dade Fire Rescue service in an attempt to regain the contract to serve the port.

LT. BILL VAN METER

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue

North Miami
    Last edited by captstanm1; 06-07-2003 at 10:39 AM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Without posting the original story, this article is totally incomprehensible.

What does the Miami Fire Dept protect?
    What does Miami-Dade protect?
    Is this a dispute between the departments involved or is it some type of political issue over boundrys?
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Default OOPS!...My Bad

Here is the link to the original thread (which I could not find when I posted this letter to the editor)

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=49720
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Where in the Heck?..........

Where does someone come off making a statement like "nobody can get 17 Firefighters......." That has to be a sure sign of someone not knowing what goes on in my world. A couple of weeks back, a 2 alarm apartment bldg fire brought about 80 (that's right, Eighty) people to the scene (on apparatus) I know that the total was 80, since I was the accountability officer on that call. Back to Florida, What is needed here, is one Fire/Rescue organization to handle ALL of south Florida. Not a hodgepodge like today's article surmises. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

This is a reply for Lt. Van Meter from Metro-Miami-Dade County in his letter to the editor posted in the Miami Herald and brought to everyones attention on this forum. The origianl story was printed in the Herald and raised some issues regarding Metro-Dade and it's coverage of the Port of Miami, Florida. Metro mantains one ALS pumper with dive capabilites in a port that has over a million passengers embarking on cruise ships yearly as well as a large cargo shipping area. Metro claims that this one pumper can more than fill the needs of the port. The port is on land once owned by the City of Miami that was turned over to the County some years ago, along with the International Airport property. Miami regularly enters the port for fire/EMS and was in fact, the first units dispatched to the Norway boiler explosion were Miami rescues for a "man in the water" run. Miami units were on the scene within 4 minutes, Metro-Dade units within 12 minutes. Metro-Dade spokespeople claimed that the national standard for 4-6 minute response times were "just a suggestion and too stringent" to follow. Truth is, no patients were taken to JMH Trauma center by air rescue that day, all were transported by ground units.
    As for the claim that a Miami-Metro-Dade air unit put out the AAA fire is bunk. A Metro helicopter dropped 4-5 buckets on the fire, which was on the upper levels of an arena under construction that had the concrete forms catch fire. All this served to do was to spread the fire out and involve more areas. The fire was extinquished by Miami firefighters humping a 2 1/2" line up scaffolding and along a 4' wide support beam. Metro-Dade is jealous of the way things are done in the City OF Miami and is taking the surround and drown tactic with the truth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sounds Like The Mutual Aid Practices Need Some Work

To an outsider, it sounds like that all of the departments involved: City of Miami, Miami-Dade, Miami Beach, have areas in their jurisdictions that need mutual aid to cover well. It also sounds like egos are getting in the way of departments working well together.

Maybe it's because I spent a number of years in a rural area where mutual aid was a given and you could expect 3-6 departments on any major scene, esp. for tankers, that I expect departments to work well with their neighbors to protect boundary and high-hazard areas.

It sounds like that isn't happening here the way it should. A continuous practice of joint training, shared meals, and cooperative officers should be put into place to fix this.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Forum Member

It also sounds like there is also a major money problem.

Miami-Dade (which is the County) took away $300,000 to $400,000 from the City of Miami when they became responsible for port coverage. Based solely on the information in this thread, it seems that they cannot provide that coverage in a timely manner without the use of mutual aid.

If I were the responsible manager at the City, I'd also be reluctant to jump in and offer mutual aid on a regular basis for providing services that I used to get paid for.

Kind of like asking the jakes in Mass who are being laid off in droves, to come in and cover the station now that they have free time on their hands.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Forum Member

Another letter to the editor, Miami Herald

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...rs/6067079.htm

Thread Information